Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Amazingly Rare Twins (Ebony & Ivory)
Abc.com ^ | February 22, 2006 | ABC News

Posted on 04/13/2006 5:55:02 AM PDT by FreeManWhoCan

February 22, 2006 - Take a look at these adorable little British girls. They were Good Morning America's picture of the week.

As you can see, one looks white and one looks black. But they are biological twins! Their names are Kayeen and Roomay. Mom and dad are of mixed race.

We're told, the odds of having twins this diverse in color is one in one million!


TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS: genetics; sweet; twins
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101-111 next last
Take a look at the picture via the link. If anyone could post it, that wold be great...
1 posted on 04/13/2006 5:55:06 AM PDT by FreeManWhoCan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: FreeManWhoCan

2 posted on 04/13/2006 5:58:07 AM PDT by SC DOC
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: SC DOC

Someone was telling me about these twins last week. Sweet babies!


3 posted on 04/13/2006 6:00:10 AM PDT by Peach
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: FreeManWhoCan

I see a long career in commercials and fashion in their futures............


4 posted on 04/13/2006 6:00:28 AM PDT by Red Badger (I must not fear.Fear is the mind-killer.Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.....)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: FreeManWhoCan

"Ebony & Ivory"

Wasn't that a Stevie Wonder song?


5 posted on 04/13/2006 6:01:29 AM PDT by Rebelbase ("truth is not invalidated by suppression"--nicmarlo)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: SC DOC

All their lives they will have to keep repeating the statement to their friends, 'We're twins, really!!':)


6 posted on 04/13/2006 6:01:36 AM PDT by DancesWithBolsheviks (Happy to perform my own labor, pay more for food, pay less in taxes, and vote for a third party.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: SC DOC
They're going to win a lot of bar bets later in life.

"I'll bet you that's my twin sister over there by the jukebox."

7 posted on 04/13/2006 6:01:38 AM PDT by PBRSTREETGANG
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: SC DOC

The Anti-Diaper Militia must be going nuts at the sight of that picture.


8 posted on 04/13/2006 6:02:21 AM PDT by kx9088
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: FreeManWhoCan
Their names are Kayeen and Roomay

That's a shame.

9 posted on 04/13/2006 6:03:04 AM PDT by humblegunner (If you're gonna die, die with your boots on.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Rebelbase

Stevie Wonder and Paul McCartney.

(Horrible song.)


10 posted on 04/13/2006 6:03:10 AM PDT by PBRSTREETGANG
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: FreeManWhoCan



11 posted on 04/13/2006 6:03:23 AM PDT by maggief (and the dessert cart rolls on ...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: DancesWithBolsheviks

Have they had a DNA Test?


12 posted on 04/13/2006 6:03:36 AM PDT by tessalu (t)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: maggief

I can hear the white kid now..."You mean I'm going to stay this color?"

13 posted on 04/13/2006 6:06:27 AM PDT by gate2wire
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: FreeManWhoCan

Great....sibling rivalry can now be considered a hate crime.


14 posted on 04/13/2006 6:08:32 AM PDT by Joe 6-pack (Que me amat, amet et canem meum)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: FreeManWhoCan

Angelina and Brad will be trying to adopt these guys.


15 posted on 04/13/2006 6:09:07 AM PDT by cowboyway (My heroes have always been cowboys.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: tessalu

Don't know, but its certainly concievable (no pun intended) that *fraternal* twins (from two separate ovum) as opposed to *identical* twins (from a single fertilized cell which divided and separated soon after fertilization) could have such different melanin content.


16 posted on 04/13/2006 6:10:49 AM PDT by DancesWithBolsheviks (Happy to perform my own labor, pay more for food, pay less in taxes, and vote for a third party.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: FreeManWhoCan

The mixed race of the parents may have nothing to do with the color of the twins,
"OCA 2 is the most common type of albinism in humans, especially among people of African descent. Characeristics are highly variable, however, ranging from minimal to moderate pigmentation of the hair, skin, and iris. The pigment may be localized in freckles. Individuals of African descent with OCA2 tend to have yellow hair, white skin with localized pigment regions, and irises that are partially or completely pigmented with a tan melanin."


17 posted on 04/13/2006 6:11:20 AM PDT by Varda
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: FreeManWhoCan

Any possibility that the light one is albino?


18 posted on 04/13/2006 6:12:41 AM PDT by 1rudeboy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Varda

Interesting. I wonder if their respective skin tones will shift as the grow up.


19 posted on 04/13/2006 6:13:19 AM PDT by DancesWithBolsheviks (Happy to perform my own labor, pay more for food, pay less in taxes, and vote for a third party.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: Varda

The "paler" twin certainly does not appear to be an albino from the photos.


20 posted on 04/13/2006 6:13:56 AM PDT by PBRSTREETGANG
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: FreeManWhoCan
Mom and dad are of mixed race

No duh!

21 posted on 04/13/2006 6:14:33 AM PDT by SittinYonder (That's how I saw it, and see it still.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: tessalu

Both the parents are biracial, so it isn’t inconceivable that one of their children would have lighter skin. These are fraternal twins, so the traits for each were a crap shoot.


22 posted on 04/13/2006 6:14:41 AM PDT by stacytec (Nihilism, its whats for dinner)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: FreeManWhoCan
My daughter has a good friend in school who has the dark skin color and hair texture of a black person but she has two biological white parents. No one meeting her at first believes it until she shows her birth certificate which lists her as a white female. She loves to show it and watch it blow people's minds. I've seen it myself.

Sadly her parents ended up divorced over it with the father thinking the mother must have had an extramarital affair, however, her vehement denial led to them having genetic testing done which showed that the gene resided on the man's side. Come to find out there was a mixed race birth in his family several previous generations ago that he nor his parents were not aware of.

I had never heard of this circumstance until I met this amazing young woman.

23 posted on 04/13/2006 6:14:46 AM PDT by OB1kNOb (America is the land of the free BECAUSE of the BRAVE !! BUILD THE WALL! PROTECT OUR BORDERS!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: SC DOC

When we lived in the ME, a friend and I flew to Dubai for the weekend. A man came up and hit on my friend. He asked where she was from (the state)and she told him. Out of politeness he asked me. Rose and I were from the same state so I told him and then told him we were sisters. Rose is a very dark skinned black and I am very fair. Rose took off with it and had him totally convinced that we were sisters from biracial parents. Later that day, he found us again. He brought a friend to show him the two 'sisters'. It was great!


24 posted on 04/13/2006 6:15:16 AM PDT by imskylark
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: DancesWithBolsheviks

Skin color varies with a lot of things including hormones which change as people age but albinism restricts the amount of melanin a person can produce. The light girl is incapable of becoming as dark as the sister.


25 posted on 04/13/2006 6:17:50 AM PDT by Varda
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

To: FreeManWhoCan

Somehow, I don't think they will be cast in the upcoming Patty Duke Show remake (if there is one).


26 posted on 04/13/2006 6:19:28 AM PDT by RabidBartender
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: OB1kNOb

The proverbial Abyssinian in the fuel supply?


27 posted on 04/13/2006 6:19:44 AM PDT by CatoRenasci (Ceterum Censeo Arabiam Esse Delendam -- Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

To: PBRSTREETGANG

Frank Sinatra: "You are black, and I am white
Life's an Eskimo Pie, let's.. take a bite!
That was groovy thinkin'
Lincoln, when you set them freeeeeee...

We all know
Cats are the same
Maine to Mexico.
Good. Bad.
Guys and chicks!"

Stevie Wonder: "I am dark, and you are light."

Frank Sinatra: "You are blind as a bat, and I have sight!
Side by side, you are my amigo,
Negro, let's not fiiiiiiiight!"

Stevie Wonder: "Ebony, ivory
Living in perfect harmony."

Frank Sinatra: "Salt and pepper,
Sammy and Dean
Stevie and me are peachy keen!"

Stevie Wonder: "You are white."

Frank Sinatra: "You are black - and who cares!"

Who cares, baby!


28 posted on 04/13/2006 6:22:07 AM PDT by dfwgator (Florida Gators - 2006 NCAA Men's Basketball Champions)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: PBRSTREETGANG

Actually the reason I posted that is because she DOES look like albinos of African descent. Blond hair and blue eyes, light to tan skin but combined with pure African features is the look (I think it's pretty attractive).


29 posted on 04/13/2006 6:23:04 AM PDT by Varda
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

To: PBRSTREETGANG

Actually the reason I posted that is because she DOES look like albinos of African descent. Blond hair and blue eyes, light to tan skin but combined with pure African features is the look (I think it's pretty attractive).


30 posted on 04/13/2006 6:23:44 AM PDT by Varda
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

To: FreeManWhoCan

one of em was left in the oven longer than the other.


31 posted on 04/13/2006 6:25:06 AM PDT by GodfearingTexan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: FreeManWhoCan

Very cute bump.


32 posted on 04/13/2006 6:26:05 AM PDT by BunnySlippers
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: FreeManWhoCan

1 in 1 Million????? I don't think so...

If both parents are bi-ratial 50% white/50% black the odds of having a white child are 25% the odds of having a black child are 25% and the odds of having biracial are 50%..

So, I don't see anyway you get to 1 in 1 million odds out of that.... someone lied to these folks.


33 posted on 04/13/2006 6:27:52 AM PDT by HamiltonJay
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: GodfearingTexan

An astute observance and funny.


34 posted on 04/13/2006 6:30:16 AM PDT by buck61
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 31 | View Replies]

To: FreeManWhoCan
I can see a future for them of pitching Salt and Pepper shakers.


35 posted on 04/13/2006 6:30:24 AM PDT by Maximus of Texas (Hi, I'm Max. Pull my finger?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: HamiltonJay

They must be using Old Math.


36 posted on 04/13/2006 6:31:10 AM PDT by Maximus of Texas (Hi, I'm Max. Pull my finger?)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 33 | View Replies]

To: maggief

I think there may be a white man is this wood pile.


37 posted on 04/13/2006 6:31:21 AM PDT by WKB (Science Fiction= Any science that omits God.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: DancesWithBolsheviks

"Don't know, but its certainly concievable (no pun intended) that *fraternal* twins (from two separate ovum) as opposed to *identical* twins (from a single fertilized cell which divided and separated soon after fertilization) could have such different melanin content."

It's possible. My maternal Grandpa has fraternal twin sisters who look very much alike except for their skin color. One is about a shade darker than Condi Rice and the other is 2 shades fairer than Colin Powell. They both have hair as slick as shiny as orientals. Go figure.


38 posted on 04/13/2006 6:32:14 AM PDT by katieanna (Celebrate Holy Week!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

How odd. Their correct names are Remee and Kian.


39 posted on 04/13/2006 6:32:14 AM PDT by Shimmer128
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 31 | View Replies]

To: maggief

The light twin is lighter than either parent, in fact, from that picture I can't tell which parent is lighter. Albino?


40 posted on 04/13/2006 6:33:13 AM PDT by Ditter
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: Maximus of Texas

I dunno, I'm no statistician, but I don't see how you can take 1 in 4 and 1 in 4 and 1 in 2, and combine them in any way that gets you 1 in a million....

Maybe I'm just dense. Any statiticians want to set me straight?


41 posted on 04/13/2006 6:35:56 AM PDT by HamiltonJay
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 36 | View Replies]

To: HamiltonJay

Well, for starters, you're not figuring in the odds of having twins...


42 posted on 04/13/2006 6:39:36 AM PDT by PBRSTREETGANG
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 41 | View Replies]

To: WKB

In the 60's another teacher had a poster that showed an extended Afro-American family at a reunion. They were every shade of skin color imaginable.


43 posted on 04/13/2006 6:39:51 AM PDT by ClaireSolt (.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 37 | View Replies]

To: FreeManWhoCan

44 posted on 04/13/2006 6:42:05 AM PDT by JZelle
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: JZelle

See #28.


45 posted on 04/13/2006 6:43:27 AM PDT by dfwgator (Florida Gators - 2006 NCAA Men's Basketball Champions)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 44 | View Replies]

To: Varda
I disagree with regard to the lighter ones looks. However they are cute kids.

Here's another photo I found of siblings while I was searching. The lighter one here is an albino.


46 posted on 04/13/2006 6:44:42 AM PDT by PBRSTREETGANG
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

To: FreeManWhoCan

Mommy's baby, Daddy's maybe.


47 posted on 04/13/2006 6:45:49 AM PDT by Hank Kerchief
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: FreeManWhoCan
Reminds me of a joke ...

A lady was in the delivery room starting to deliver her baby. As the head came out it was dark and had an afro.

The doctor said, "Ma'am, have you ever slept with a black man?" She said, "Well, yes, but only once." "Once is all it takes" he replied.

Then the torso came out and it was yellow. "Ma'am, have you ever slept with an oriental man?" the doctor asked. "Well, yes" she said, "but only once." "Once is all it takes," he said.

When the legs came out they were red. The doctor asked her if she had ever slept with an Indian and she said only once and he replied that that was all it took. Well, he pulled the kid out and held it upside down and slapped it's bottom to make it cry.

"Oh, thank God," she exclaimed "at least it doesn't bark!"

48 posted on 04/13/2006 6:48:15 AM PDT by reagan_fanatic (Someday we'll look back on all this and plow into a parked car)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: gate2wire
I can hear the white kid now..."You mean I'm going to stay this color?"

LOL!

Not to mention those special lunches mom will have to make for her:

Tuna salad on white bread, a Tab, and a couple of Twinkies.

49 posted on 04/13/2006 6:51:35 AM PDT by Recovering Hermit (A hermit is a deserter from the army of humanity.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: PBRSTREETGANG

Right, I have a couple pictures like that in an Anthro book on the self. Those pictures and your picture show people who have the same physical characteristics except the pigmentation. The twin girls look almost identical except for pigmentation. That doesn't mean the lighter one is an albino but IMO it raises the possibility.


50 posted on 04/13/2006 6:52:48 AM PDT by Varda
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 46 | View Replies]


Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101-111 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson