Skip to comments.Drinking And Dynamite Don't Mix
Posted on 05/27/2006 6:56:13 AM PDT by Excuse_My_Bellicosity
SEATTLE - Three men are in the hospital with serious injuries after a fireworks accident Thursday.
Investigators say the victims were part of a group of 10 or 12 construction workers having a barbeque at the KOA campground off Highway 12 in Lewis County.
One of the men came over to the campfire and showed off a powerful firework that was about 5 inches long and an inch thick. Another man tossed it into the fire, but it failed to light, so he reached in to the fire to retrieve it, police say.
A family member told KOMO 4 News another man tried to stop him from grabbing in, and in the process, the device went off.
Police say those two men lost their hand in the explosion, and suffered other head and facial injuries. They were both airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. Both men were said to be in their early 40s.
A third man who was walking nearby was also suffered head injuries and possibly an eye fracture. He was taken to Centralia Providence Hospital.
Investigators believe the two men had been drinking.
.."Investigators believe the two men had been drinking...."
Hold mah beer bump.
Sounds like they had a blast.
That's nothing. I know a couple of guys who were out drinking. The owner of the van had dynomite (early 80s). He stopped on a dirt road to take a leak and the drunk that was with him bit into one of the soft dynomite sticks thinking it was a burrito or something. It didn't blow up but it nearly killed him.
Let's give these partyboys a hand!!
"Mamma mia, thatsa some spicy pepperoni!"
Drinking and writing don't mix well either.
"...those two men lost their hand in the explosion..."
I guess they won't be lighting off fireworks anymore!
He blowed up real good
It's kinda of a partial Darwin effect.
Darwin Award runner ups possible here...
It blew up real good, huh?
"C'mon, give these men a hand!"
I always wondered if M-500s were still being made somewhere.
One time at a park, I told M. Jr. to watch and learn from some guys at a nearby camp. They had the grill going, but apparently it just wasn't blazing enough for them. Then came the Hold Mu Beer moment when they poured more lighter fluid on the flames. Idiots.
How can you not read an article with that headline?
What's an eye fracture? Is his eye in a sling now?
"another man tried to stop him from grabbing in"
Was this written by a high school kid?
Anyway, I feel sorry for the guy who tried to stop his friend from reaching his hand into the barbeque.
Dynamite cannot blow up by hitting it, biting into it etc. It takes a powerful blow, such as a blasting cap explosion to set it off. Swallowing it however won't do you much good because it is mainly nitro and sawdust.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.