Skip to comments.Islam not violent, Toronto Muslims say ["This is not about religion or faith,"...]
Posted on 06/04/2006 4:57:00 PM PDT by Sub-Driver
slam not violent, Toronto Muslims say Last Updated Sun, 04 Jun 2006 19:13:53 EDT CBC News
Muslim leaders and police took pains Sunday to distinguish between the religion of Islam and the 17 people accused of plotting bomb attacks in Ontario. 'This is not the action of the Muslim community,' Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair said during a press conference held Sunday. (CBC)
"Canadian Muslims absolutely condemn an act of violence or threat of violence," Muhammad Alam, president of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto, told a crowded hall where many Muslims expressed concern about the arrests.
"This is not about religion or faith," but about political and social situations around the world, he said.
Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair agreed, saying the accused were motivated by an ideology based on politics and violence, not by faith. "This is not the action of the Muslim community."
The Muslim leaders thanked Blair for his assurances that the police would try to protect Muslims from angry responses to the arrests. Vandals who damaged a Toronto mosque overnight may have been motivated by hatred after the arrests earlier in the weekend, Blair said.
Sheik Hussein Patel, representing the Canadian Council of Muslim Theologians, a group of more than 100 scholars, thanked the police for making the arrests.
"Any threat to Canada poses a threat to Muslims in Canada as well," he said, adding that the group is concerned that the accused were resorting to "anti-Islamic behaviour."
On its website, the group posted a statement saying if the allegations are true, "then this is a wake-up call, especially for Muslim leaders and parents, that more must be done to ensure that our children do not get involved in activities that are contrary to the teachings of Islam."
By Fredrik Dahl and Michael GeorgySun Jun 4, 2:15 PM ET
Gunmen in Iraq dragged 24 people, mostly teenage students, from vehicles and shot them dead, police said, as violence raged in the country on Sunday.
Iraqi leaders appeared deadlocked on naming new interior and defense ministers seen as critical to restoring stability in a country bloodied by relentless insurgent and sectarian killings.
Police said gunmen manning a makeshift checkpoint near Udhaim stopped cars approaching the small town 120 km (80 miles) north of Baghdad and killed passengers.
The victims included youths of around 15-16 years who were on their way to the bigger regional town of Baquba to write end of term exams, but also elderly men, they said.
[Yeah right............ROP types.]
For a great article about Islam and the harlot of Babylon go to yourarmstoisrael.org and select "sermon notes" and pull up "The Final End Time Beast". Spotting the anti-Messiah-Saudi Arabia-Mecca.
And again - Religion of Pieces.
They're full of shi'ite!
Being in denial will only allow the disease to become pandemic.
Yup. Looks like a bunch of Lutherans from Minnesota to me.
gosh - took the words right outta my mouth :O)
I tire easily of hearing leaders try to claim Islam is a religion of peace. That just is a downright lie.
Allah be praised. That's good news /s
"Canadian Muslims absolutely condemn an act of violence or threat of violence,"
and we will keep saying things like this until the temperature of the water has risen enough for you in the West, so that it will be easy as Camel Pie for us to rule, as it is our right as specified by our Holy one (PBUH)
Where's the picture of the protest sign: "Behead those who claim Islam is violent" ?
Koran in its own words:
* "Fight and slay the pagans [Christians] wherever ye find them and seize them, confine them, and lie in wait for them in every place of ambush" (Surah 9:5)
* "Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the last day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and his apostle nor acknowledge the religion of truth of the people of the Book (the Jews and the Christians) until they pay the Jizya [tax on non-Muslims] with willing submission and feel themselves subdued." (Surah 9:29)
* "Those who follow Muhammad are merciless for the unbelievers but kind to each other." (Qur'an 48:29)
* "Enmity and hatred will reign between us until ye believe in Allah alone." (Qur'an 60:4)
* Say to the Unbelievers, if (now) they desist (from Unbelief), their past would be forgiven them; but if they persist, the punishment of those before them is already (a matter of warning for them). And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in God altogether and everywhere; but if they cease, verily God doth see all that they do. (Qur'an 8:37-39)
* And fight them on until there is no more Tumult or oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in God; but if they cease, Let there be no hostility except to those who practice oppression. (Qur'an 2:193)
* "Fight the unbelievers in your surroundings, and let them find harshness in you." (Qur'an 9:123)
* "For he who believes in the Trinity, "the Fire will be his abode a grievous penalty will befall the blasphemer." Qur'an (5:72-73)
I don't see members of any other religion who are on a world-wide Jihad. As long as the Koran contains intolerant, bigoted, violence provoking dictates, a certain number of Muslims will take it literally and act upon it.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.