Skip to comments.Iranian Alert - August 8, 2006 - Bernard Lewis: M.A.D. won't stop the Iranian from using the bomb
Posted on 08/12/2006 7:27:44 AM PDT by DoctorZIn
Top News Story
M.A.D. won’t stop the Iranian from using the bomb.
- Bernard Lewis, The Wall Street Journal argued that Iran's apocalyptic leaders do not fear killing Palestinians in a nuclear attack on Israel nor do they fear an Israeli nuclear counter attack on Iran because in both cases the Muslim dead will be accepted by Allah into heaven. A must read.
Iranian dissident Batebi on hunger strike in Evin Prison.
- Iran Press News reported that Iranian student leader, Ahmad Batebi is now being detained and if new charges are not leveled against him, he will only have to complete the nine years remaining on his original prison sentence in Evin prison.
More Iranian threats.
- The Guardian reported that Manouchehr Mottaki, Iran's foreign minister, said Tony Blair and George Bush are "co-defendants" in war crimes committed by Israel in Lebanon and should be made to answer for their actions before an international court.
- Richard Beeston, The Times Online reported that Iran threatened to block oil exports to the West if sanctions are imposed.
The Lebanon of the future?
- Amir Taheri, The Times Online considered what Lebanon and the Middle East will look like if Hezbollah (and Iran) wins its war with Israel.
- Amir Taheri, The New York Post explained ways to achieve a real Lebanese peace.
Here are a few other news items you may have missed.
- Daniel Schwammenthal, The Wall Street Journal examined the most recent evidence of European blindness to Hezbollah's terrorism.
- Iran Press News reported that a brother of the State Inspector general of the Islamic Republic of Iran was arrested for being a heroin smuggler.
- Iran Press News reported that Alijanzadeh, the governor of Ghaem-shahr said 20,000 workers lose their jobs in the Iranian province of Mazandaran.
- Iran Press News reported that two young men, Ali Ramezani and Ebrahim Karimi were arrested and charged with “being in contact with Kurdish political parties”.
- BBC News reported that the Israeli army has released a video showing a Hezbollah fighter admitting to taking part in a raid on Israel and undergoing training in Iran.
"If you want on or off this Iran ping list, Freepmail DoctorZin
Join Us At Today's Iranian Alert Thread The Most Underreported Story Of The Year!
"If you want on or off this Iran ping list, Freepmail DoctorZin
Suppose we could help them along?
Maybe since they like death so much they could serve one another by standing in a circle and just firing!!!
Death always seems to be so great for "somebody else"!!
If the nutbag lets a nuke loose on August 22nd, he'll find out real quick whether he was right about Allah and mooslims.
They are wrong about the heaven thing. The road to hell is wide and paved.
M.A.D.only works when people want to live!
Mad Mahmoud continues his sabre rattling. God bless the bullet that removes his filth from the planet.
From the Bernard Lewis article in WSJ: "What is the significance of Aug. 22? This year, Aug. 22 corresponds, in the Islamic calendar, to the 27th day of the month of Rajab of the year 1427. This, by tradition, is the night when many Muslims commemorate the night flight of the prophet Muhammad on the winged horse Buraq, first to "the farthest mosque," usually identified with Jerusalem, and then to heaven and back (c.f., Koran XVII.1). This might well be deemed an appropriate date for the apocalyptic ending of Israel and if necessary of the world. It is far from certain that Mr. Ahmadinejad plans any such cataclysmic events precisely for Aug. 22. But it would be wise to bear the possibility in mind.
A passage from the Ayatollah Khomeini, quoted in an 11th-grade Iranian schoolbook, is revealing. 'I am decisively announcing to the whole world that if the world-devourers [i.e., the infidel powers] wish to stand against our religion, we will stand against their whole world and will not cease until the annihilation of all them. Either we all become free, or we will go to the greater freedom which is martyrdom. Either we shake one another's hands in joy at the victory of Islam in the world, or all of us will turn to eternal life and martyrdom. In both cases, victory and success are ours.'"
Well, they have only one path or the two options that the ayatollah announced. they will be "martyrs". Only problem is, the 72 virgins will instead be demons.
It would seem to be our duty to do so..
They also view their possession of nuclear weapons as a counterweight to Israel's nuclear arsenal and a possible restraint on Israel's use of its nuclear weapons against aggression by its neighbors who far outnumber them. That might be a major miscalculation by Iran vis a vis Israel, which may feel compelled to take out Iran's capability to produce nuclear weapons just for that reason, i.e., nullification of Israel's nuclear deterrent.
What gives you the belief that the mullahs of Iran are rational? There is no evidence for this in their past history.
gotta think Lewis' msg. ain't new mat'l for the NSC; if it is, I'm outraged.
Read Bernard Lewis in the WSJ Opinion. Everything happening now may be a diversion from the big picture.
The mass murdering thugs in charge of Iran might be the end of that nation if they do try to use a nuclear weapon.
I lived two years in Iran including during the time of the fall of the Shah and the assumption of power by Khomeini. The mullahs are interested in power. They hijacked the Iranian revolution.
Historically, Iran [Persia] has incldued the clerics in the ruling class. The Shah's father, Reza Shah, the founder of the Pahlavi dynasty, stripped the mullahs of almost all of their social institutions of power in the 1920's. This included the confiscation of the mullah's large land holdings.
After WWII and the installation of Mohammed Reza Shah, the son, the decision was made to return the ecclesiastical lands back to the mullahs and a release of many political prisoners. This was followed by the rise of the Tudeh Party [Communists] and the National Front led by Mossadegh.
Without going into the rise of Mossadeq, the subsequent coup and the reinstallation of the Shah in 1953 led to some cooperation with the clerics. However, the White Revolution changed all of that. The Shah instituted a land redistribution law, as well as laws granting sufferage to women and the establishment of health and education corps for the rural areas. The mullahs and their allies had their lands taken away and the rural reforms in health and education took away much of their power and influence.
The mullahs didn't take this changes sitting down and they resisted, including Khomeini who was jailed and eventually exiled. The rest is history. The bottom line is that the mullahs have been part of the power structure of Iran for over one thousand years. They are eminently rationale and desirous of maintaining their power and perks.
How will they maintain power when 200 Israel nukes come raining down on their collective heads? That's what this is coming to.
I don't see much rational judgment from this kind of behavior.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.