I don't think Bush is running this year, no?
I see this as very accurate analysis.
I think the Republicans have several problems right now:
1. Border security. A porous border undercuts our position of being strong in stopping terrorism, and I believe much of the anger over Iraq is based on the fact that millions pour over the US borders illegally. The Rats won't do anything to stop it, but they will exploit it.
2. Spending. Republicans have jumped into the pork barrel as hard, or harder, than Rats. This will hurt them badly with fiscal conservatives.
3. Barnes is correct about the judiciary. The Pubbies have done pretty well, but we haven't communicated it. The recent ruling by the Carter appointee would have been a perfect time to bring this issue back to the front.
That being said, I've got the broken glass ready, because the Rats, if they get back in power, will do everything they can to ensure that:
1. There's never another honest election in this country.
2. Hannity, Limbaugh, most talk radio, and the internet are shut down.
3. The judiciary is composed of people who think Stalin wasn't harsh enough in dealing with conservatives.
"I don't think Bush is running this year, no?"
No, just his party. Woe unto us if he loses the congress too. Reid, Pelosi, Soros and Al Franken and the people who worship them will finish off the heart and soul of this nation.
Why does Barnes think that "stern sanctions" against Iran is going to make people vote Republican? Sanctions may or may not be good policy, but either way I don't see the lack of sanctions as the reason Republicans are in trouble. People are upset about gas prices (wait - wouldn't sanction INCREASE gas prices?) and ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION. I just skimmed this article, but I don't think I saw anything about immigration in it. Does Barnes not think it's an issue? If he doesn't, he's not worth listening to as a "political expert."
Bush is really unpopular. The problem for the democrats is that if bush did run again, he would squash almost any democrat they could put up because they have zero ideas about anything.