Skip to comments.Rep. Harris Goes From GOP Darling to Liability (LA SLIMES IS PANICKING)
Posted on 09/01/2006 2:35:33 PM PDT by Extremely Extreme Extremist
Polls say she's no longer a shoo-in against her rivals in the U.S. Senate primary in Florida.
MIAMI She's called for a Christian theocracy so Congress won't "legislate sin." She's lost a dozen key campaign staffers in the home stretch, advertised endorsements she didn't get and failed to pick up a single recommendation from Florida's leading newspapers.
Rep. Katherine Harris the former darling of the Republican Party for her pivotal role in the 2000 presidential recount has stumbled so badly in her bid for the U.S. Senate that pollsters and pundits no longer focus on her longshot chances against Democratic incumbent Bill Nelson in November, but instead on the outlook for Tuesday's primary race against virtual unknowns.
(Excerpt) Read more at latimes.com ...
If there is any state of panick it is due to fear that maybe anyone other than Harris might win the primary.
Saint Katherine is incapable of making mistakes. All conservative have a DUTY to get behind her in the primary, or else they're on Bill Nelson's payroll.
And she looks good on a horse. Don't forget that part.
Impressive use of sarcasm, BillyBoy!
There have been worse candidates. But not a lot. The Republicans need to do a job recruiting candidates in 2008.
Panicking in what way?
That we may actually get another candidate instead of her, that might clean Sen Nelson's clock?
Folks need to vote for ...
"William McBride, a 34-year-old attorney" ... in th eprimary and hte race would be an instant single-digit race. Nelson is a weak candidate, subpar Senator.
Harris is political roadkill, and the Laslimes trumpets the weakest GOP candidates as a way to drag down the rest.
"Recent polls have shown Nelson more than 30 points ahead of Harris in a general election matchup, and her campaign has been rocky. Fundraising has lagged, campaign workers have defected and she has been dogged by news of dealings with a corrupt defense contractor who gave her $32,000 in illegal campaign contributions."
In a year this tough for Republicans, does Harris have a chance? No!
Note for example the lack of stories on Steele in MD (except when he dissed the Prez) and Kean in NJ, or Kennedy in Minnesota. etc.
There is a pattern here!
That's absolute slander, she was on Glenn beck and she explained very competently what she ment and that was that we should elect Christians if we we expect Christian ideals to be upheld by us, the Christian majority, that is a far cry from trying to legislate a Theocracy.
What polls are they talking about?
The latest ones reported here in Jacksonville have her with a double digit lead over her three primary opponents.
Saying ONLY Christians should be elected and ONLY "Christian ideals" should be upheld as the law of land isn't trying to legislate theocracy?
Theocracy n. , pl. -cies . A government ruled by or subject to religious authority. A state so governed.
Harris: "God is the one who chooses our rulers." "If you're not electing Christians, then in essence you are going to legislate sin"
tricky_k_1972: we should elect Christians; we expect Christian ideals to be upheld by us, the Christian majority
Yeah, insisting that Christians must be elected run government and enact only Christian ideals ain't theocracy. And "undocumented migrants" ain't illegal, either.
She looks good on a horse.
That is apparently an important thing, much more important than winning an election.
Excellent reply in post 12. Christian Ideals are what a theocrcy is.
What confuses me is the Harris backers' positions on polls. They tell us that all the polls show Katherine Harris will win the primary easily, and we should believe them.
In the same breath, they tell us that all of the polls are lying about Katherine Harris, and that despite reality itself she'll beat Nelson in 60 days.
The polls are accurate when they say Harris will beat McBride, but they're absolutely lying when they say Nelson will incinerate Harris? I don't think so.
I hope McBride holds on to his primary lead (since the polls, according to Harris backers, lie - so he's obviously ahead). But you never know. Harris might just get one more primary vote than McBride and pull the upset of the week.
1) They accuse Harris' primary rivals of all being "RINO GOP establishment plants" from the "same crowd who gave us RINO Mel Martinez", while Mel Martinez HIMSELF is personally endorsing and campaigning for THEIR gal in the primary -- and they proudly accept the "open borders RINO" support (I guess Mel missed the memo to assist his "handpicked open borders candidate". If McBride is part of a conspiracy cooked up by Martinez, it must not be a very good once since Martinez isn't even backing "his" candidate)
2) The decry GOP party leaders "interfering" in other primary campaigns to give support to the incumbent, while complaining at the same time that the GOP party leaders "hate" Katherine Harris because they won't interfere and take sides in the open primary for U.S. Senate give preferential treatment and support to Harris over other Republican candidates seeking the nomination.
3) They accuse everyone who opposes Harris in the primary of being Nelson supporters who will sabotage Harris' campaign if she is nominated, while at the same time they say they will sit home and sulk if Harris does not win the primary, rather than support another Republican and work to defeat Nelson.
4) They claim Harris should be anointed for the U.S. Senate on the basis that she staunchly stood by Bush, but at the same time they spend the entire primary campaign decrying Bush and using the DemocRAT tactics and talking points that Gore would be the "real" winner if FL if Harris hadn't been involved, and if something bad happens to their candidate, it's ALWAYS Bush's fault.
5) They complain that anyone who does not support Harris in the primary is a liberal disruptor who needs to "go back to DU!" or "talk to your fellow Democrats on MoveOn.org!", while in reality the folks who post on DU and MoveOn.org are rooting FOR Harris to win the primary and hope she represents the face of the GOP in fall because they know it would be a cakewalk to defeat her in November.
6) They accuse anyone who is anti-Harris of being an unhinged maniac who is shoot themselves and the GOP in the foot, while defending Katherine Harris tooth-and-nail while she acats like an unhinged maniac and shoots herself and the GOP in the foot.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.