Skip to comments.Former Sen. Edwards says Democrats need to show 'backbone'
Posted on 09/11/2006 2:24:19 PM PDT by ncountylee
LAS VEGAS (AP) - Possible presidential candidate and former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards told some 3,400 union delegates and others Monday that the Democratic Party needs to show "a little backbone" by taking up the cause of universal health care again.
"One of the ways we can show some backbone and courage is we can speak out and we can say we're not for access to health care ... and all those weasel words that politicians like to use," he said.
"We're for universal health care for every single man, woman and child in America and we are going to fight for it every single day when we're running this country, when we're running the Congress, when we're running the White House. "
Edwards, the Democratic nominee for vice president in 2004, appeared with other party stalwarts such as former President Jimmy Carter at a convention of the Laborers' International Union of North America to make the case to attendees to elect Democrats in November. New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, also considered a possible presidential contender, was to address the convention later in the day.
Nevada has taken on new importance on the Democratic presidential primary calendar after the party moved last month to sandwich Nevada's caucus between first-in-the-nation Iowa and New Hampshire in January.
The shake-up was backed by Democratic leaders who want to add more Hispanic and black voters to the voter pool picking the party nominee, and give Democrats an early foothold in the West, a region increasingly seen as a key to winning the general election.
(Excerpt) Read more at lasvegassun.com ...
Edwards, Jimmy Carter, Bill Richardson and thousands of union thugs...what a day to miss...NOT!
Going by the headline, it's not just the Dims who need a backbone! :)
Coming from the limp wristed metrosexual Edwards, this is hysterical! ROFL - my best laugh all day.
"No matter how many people die or if the costs escalate out of control," Edwards said.
Oh, that's rich! a) they'd have to get one, first and b) that's a little like Howard Stern telling his listeners to grow up.
Edwards clinched the argument for universal health care when he reported that he could hear little dead girls talking, and they agree with him.
Show their back bone?
The ambulance chasing "silky pony" will be suing their birth doctor for malpractice!
How about showing a shread of decency, or a spot of morality?
Oh heck, does this mean Ted Kennedy will take off his shirt again?
Johnny, we'd believe you were sincere if your plan included coverage of hair care products.
He knows that if you're showing backbone, you have a great multimillion dollar lawsuit against the doctor who performed your surgery.
note: quote taken from a fellow freeper's signature.
Can't show it if you ain't got it.....
Anyway, the Republican party's logo remains unchanged.
SilkyPony Says What?
While reading this, my mind jumped ahead and thought he was going to talk about national security instead of health care. What a joke...the Dems just don't get it. Health care certainly isn't in the top 5 of my concerns as an American.
"I declare war on Individualism"- John Edwards.
Excuse me, Mr Edwards, I can take care of myself. Butt out! Thank you, President George W. Bush, for Health Savings Accounts.- me
Teddy couldn't find a spine on a porcupine.
This, from the Breck Girl.
ya mean backbone like when Kennedy ran after he killed Mary Jo? That kind of backbone? or the backbone of Murtha? How about the backbone of Jaque Kerry? Lets leave backbone to the real men not Nancy boys like these losers!
Why are they ONLY for universal healthcare? Food and shelter are more critical for life than healthcare? Wouldn't universal food and shelter be more valuable to society?
And John Kerry has answered the call...
You're right John. As the rest of thr country worries about getting blown to bits you Dumocrats should resurrect HillaryCare. Get the ID card out. Don't forget the panels of unaccountable bureaucrats deciding the racial and ethnic quotas for doctors. You and Hillary can be the two lead pigs from Animal Farm, deciding how much doctors can make in a year, etc. Roll it up into a Seven-Year Plan for us comrades.
Trial lawyer talk for stick um up.
Oh, come on, Johnny... you're too cute with that beauty-spot mole and all that hair to have a backbone. Who can take you seriously, Breck Girl?
Might as well try that, since showing your pretty hair was a losing strategy...
"We're for universal health care for every single man, woman and child in America and we are going to fight for it every single day..."
Oh good. You keep on saying that. Don't forget to add that you will not stop until every American is paying 70% of the income in taxes to pay for it.
My current tagline says it all.
Jimmy Carter, speaking in place of his incapacitated son, Nevada U.S. Senate candidate Jack Carter, said the Bush administration had strayed from American values and should be held to account for the war in Iraq on false premises.
His son continued to suffer from severe colitis, an inflammation of the colon, since being hospitalized on Thursday, but was steadily recovering, said spokesman Jay Jones.
"I think it's very important that all of us combine our efforts in the next few months to make sure that the administration in Washington is restrained," the elder Carter said.
If anybody needs restrained around here, it's Jimmuh Carter...
If they had backbone they would proudly call themselves socialists.
Sorry, they took X-Rays and there isn't one to show.
They'd be better off showing some brains.
First they need to purchase one.
Purchase? SInce when do they pay for anything themselves?
no meat will be showing
and the yellow belly will be blinding...
"...former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards told some 3,400 union delegates and others Monday that the Democratic Party needs to show "a little backbone" by taking up the cause of universal health care again."
I thought he might say "backbone" and fighting islamic terror.
Just great! Now the slime has found yet another way to tax us. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!
What good is a backbone for Mr. Edwards when he has no cahone's?
Neutered breck girl.
Yep, me too. What a joke.
How can this be possible? Afterall, liberals are well known for being spineless twits that lack any socially redeeming qualities whatever.
The Beginning: A Seed is Planted
While driving through a neighborhood in Atlanta recently, I noticed that the homes of poor people often had small, weedy, unattractive lawns. The people on those lawns seemed tired and depressed. The only decorations were a few old vehicles on cinder blocks, void of hope and engines. Just one mile away in a wealthy area, I saw big, green, plush lawns, lawns that were being used for parties full of happy, carefree people with nice, functional cars. That's when it hit me: lawns are an extension of the home, an external projection of the quality of our inner life. The impact a lawn has on one's self-esteem can be enormous. People driving by your home won't notice and won't care about the stains on your carpet, the toys scattered across the hallway, or the dent in the wall where Uncle Henry threw the goldfish bowl. But they will see your lawn. They notice - and they judge. Boy, do they judge!
Imaginings: The Seed is Watered
Picture a home surrounded by dry, yellow weeds that haven't been mowed or watered ever since the era of hate and greed began under Reagan/Bush: such a lawn can only instill ill will, shrill on the nerves like fingernails on a chalkboard. Now imagine that same home surrounded by a lush carpet of bluegrass, trimmed to perfection, sparkling with fine drops of morning dew glistening in golden sunlight like a field of diamonds, calling you softly with cosmic harmonies, soft, reassuring, beckoning you to lay your tired body onto its countless tiny cushions of life, where you will be renewed, invigorated, and fulfilled (warning: do check for fire ants first).
There is a world of difference in our perceptions of the two homes because of the lawns around them. The inhabitants with the poor lawn are likely to shunned socially, or to be the victims of persecution by neighbors who allege that poor lawns lower property values of the neighborhood. Ultimately, they will be denied access to jobs, education, and even health care. And meanwhile, their ever-lowering self-esteem will negate all hope and possibly leave them with no choice but to turn to a life of crime or politics.
Awakening: The Seed Sprouts
As the significance of lawns sank into my thirsty soul like a Grand Epiphany, the stark truth almost mowed me over: rich people have better lawns because they can afford them, while poor people can't. In fact, not only do the poor have inadequate access to lawn care, but many don't even have lawns at all. The free market system has failed to provide a just and equitable distribution of lawns and lawn care, and with it we find an unjust, inequitable distribution of self-esteem, perhaps the most vital resource of all. And what was the cause of this problem? Greed! Especially the greed of the money-hungry Big Lawn Care Companies (BiLCC), which act like vacuums sucking up money like loose grass clippings on the lawns they pretend to care for.
Acting: The Seedling Grows!
I realized that only a grassroots campaign could resist the power of the Big Lawn Care Companies - one of the most effectively organized special interest groups ever, with representatives having infiltrated all levels of our government, all the way up to the White House Lawn itself (due, of course, to the moral laxness of the corrupt Reagan/Bush administration during the 12 Years of Hate and Greed). The Big Lawn Care Companies, which operate solely for profit, don't care about who has nice lawns as long as they get paid top dollar. The Big Lawn Care Companies will resist reform - unless our campaign is effective. So, on April 1, 1995, I and several other sincere citizens launched Nationalize Lawn Care Now!, with myself as Chairman and Treasurer.
Our agenda and our charter were carefully crafted by a nonpartisan committee representing a broad spectrum of American society and representing the nation's leading experts in lawn care policy. It was a truly diverse coalition - one that looked like America - consisting of lawyers, politicians, and agrarian reformers from nearly every state of the union. Multiple races (5), languages (7), and sexual orientations (at least 5 different kinds) were all represented. Some on the committee had lawns, some did not; some preferred fescue; others Bermuda grass; some mowed themselves, others used Congressional staffers. But in spite of all this diversity, our committee rapidly reached a unanimous conclusion: comprehensive national lawn care was needed, and needed now!
Naturally, this was not going to be your ordinary garden-variety revolution!
Our charter calls for nationalization of all lawn care industries into a single provider run by the US Dept. of Agriculture and funded through a revitalized House Bank, with generous donations from the pro-lawn Chinese Government to be warmly received as necessary. The savings in forms, advertising, and duplicate staff alone would more than fund a complete and equitable redistribution of lawns and would provide funds to guarantee that every American has access to adequate lawn care. This program may seem too utopian and visionary to have any hope, but it already has the backing of many of the most respected names in America, including Mikhail Gorbachev, three supermodels, several Hollywood celebrities, and even the performer formerly known as The King. Further, we have a list of over 100 economists and 36 TV weathermen who predict success for our efforts - if only we can get enough financial support from people like you.(And we expect Molly Yard to be joining our forces shortly.)
Inspiring: The Seedling Blossoms!
Though we have been ignored by the controlled national media (influenced heavily by the power of the Big Lawn Care Companies), our campaign has been effective. So far we have had 18 successful fund raisers to call attention to the problem. As we have grown, we have been able to stage important public awareness events in several cities around the country. Examples include:
- Constructing shanty towns of simulated sheds for lawn equipment on the campuses of several universities. The program was so successful - i.e., so threatening to the Big Lawn Care Companies - that university officials (with obvious connections to BiLCC) had the shanty towns torn down within hours of construction. It was gratifying to see the enemy so concerned about our efforts! The smell of victory was in the air, like the smell of fresh clippings after mowing a moist fescue lawn.
- Launching Operation Fescue where we gathered several pro-green protesters outside the gates of a herbicide outlet (a so-called "Lawn and Garden" department, part of the BiLCC network). Our pro-green forces did sidewalk counseling of potential customers and passed out NLCN! literature. We remained peaceful and respectful while successfully discouraging people from using herbicide and from supporting the BiLCC gang. I personally chained myself to a lawn mower tractor. Unfortunately, BiLCC forces had already bribed local police and media, none of whom showed up to pay us any attention. After eight hours of a hunger strike that received no attention, I had to unchain myself from the mower and go out for Thai food. But it was another moral victory for NLCN!
- Sprinkling grass clippings over the crowd during a nationally televised Green Bay Packers football game as Reb Xanadu, one of our activists, flew the NLCN! Cessna over the Green Bay stadium. My wife and I threw out over 40 bushels of clippings, having a dramatic pro-NLCN! impact on the crowd. Incredibly, right as the TV cameras picked us up, the network directors cut to a ChemLawn commercial.
- Pouring green paint on several city sidewalks in front of low income apartments to call attention to the lack of lawns that the poor have. This action was so effective that several of the residents - obviously gullible employees of Big Lawn Care Companies - physically threatened us and forced us to flee the site before the press showed up.
- Redistributing over 15 acres of lawn during several Midnight Justice Vigils in which we dug up sections of plush lawn from the lawn-rich and deposited them on the poor lawns of the lawn-poor. Unfortunately, the lawn-rich are using the legal system to harass us for these good-Samaritan activities. We need your donations to sustain our legal defense fund. Please help!
- Receiving an international show of support during the 1996 Olympics from over 100 track and field athletes representing 32 countries. These courageous athletes showed their support for NLCN! by each wearing a conspicuous green blade of grass on their sneakers as they participated in numerous events. Some even wore green clothes or waved flags containing green (special thanks to the Libyan delegation for adopting a flag of 100% pure green). In spite of such overt support for our cause, network commentators and most sports writers (all of whom benefit from BiLCC advertising dollars) REFUSED TO ACKNOWLEDGE the Olympic miracle that was taking place before their very eyes and cameras on the lawn at the Olympic Stadium. TV cameramen, we later learned, had been instructed before the Olympics even began to focus primarily on faces and to generally avoid close-up shots of shoes - a measure undoubtedly intended to thwart NLCN! But we won't be thwarted. With your financial support, we'll lawnch even bigger campaigns in the future.
"It takes a backbone to show a backbone."
This remids me....didn't Joe Lieberman show a "backbone" by supporting our troops?
Look what the liberals/socialists in the RAT party did to him for doing so.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.