Skip to comments.Top 10 Democrat Sex Scandals in Congress
Posted on 10/04/2006 9:09:02 AM PDT by GoBucks2002
Information compiled from the Washington Post, Congressional Sex Scandals in History, and other sources.
10. Sen. Daniel Inouye. The 82-year-old Hawaii Democrat was accused in the 1990s by numerous women of sexual harassment. Democrats cast doubt on the allegations and the Senate Ethics Committee dropped its investigation.
9. Former Rep. Gus Savage. The Illinois Democrat was accused of fondling a Peace Corps volunteer in 1989 while on a trip to Africa. The House Ethics Committee decided against disciplinary action in 1990.
8. Rep. Barney Frank. The outspoken Massachusetts Democrat hired a male prostitute who ran a prostitution service from Franks residence in the 1980s. Only two Democrats in the House of Representatives voted to censure him in 1990.
7. Former Sen. Brock Adams. The late Washington Democrat was forced to stop campaigning after numerous accusations of drugging, assault and rape, the first surfacing in 1988.
6. Former Rep. Fred Richmond. This New York Democrat was arrested in 1978 for soliciting sex from a 16-year-old. He remained in Congress and won re-electionbefore eventually resigning in 1982 after pleading guilty to tax evasion and drug possession.
5. Former Rep. John Young. The late Texas Democrat increased the salary of a staffer after she gave in to his sexual advances. The congressman won re-election in 1976 but lost two years later.
4. Former Rep. Wayne Hays. The late Ohio Democrat hired an unqualified secretary reportedly for sexual acts. Although he resigned from Congress, the Democratic House leadership stalled in removing him from the Administration Committee in 1976.
3. Former Rep. Gerry Studds. He was censured for sexual relationship with underage male page in 1983. Massachusetts voters returned him to office for six more terms.
2. Former Rep. Mel Reynolds. The Illinois Democrat was convicted of 12 counts of sexual assault with a 16-year-old. President Bill Clinton pardoned him before leaving office.
1. Sen. Teddy Kennedy. The liberal Massachusetts senator testified in defense of nephew accused of rape, invoking his family history to win over the jury in 1991.
What?! No Wilbur Mills? No Gary Hart on the list???
Yes, I heard Wilber Mills give an accounting, himself personally, about his mis-adventures. It was hilarious.
The worst, he said, was appearing on the stage, love-sick and completely drunk out of his mind.
Drunk is no way to go through life -- especially if you are head of the House Ways and Means Committee.
4. FDR's wife, mega-dyke Elanor Roosevelt.
FDR, JFK, LBJ and WJC were notorious womanizers. Although Jimmy Carter was a totally inept President, at least he was an honorable man when it came to upholding his wedding vows.
It goes to show that this is nothing but mock outrage. The Democrats don't care about sex scandals. Even with young aides.
EVEN if they think something criminal happened in this case (which is not clear), SOME Democrats sat on this information about Foley until they could spring it as an October Surprise.
The Democrats are using the teenage pages as pawns. If they get abused by politicos, "so what". They will keep it hush until it serves THEIR needs.
"I've looked on a lot of women with lust. I've committed adultery in my heart many times." Jimmy Carter
Jimmah was too pious even for that.
"What?! No Wilbur Mills? No Gary Hart on the list???"
So many Democrats, so few numbers.
Man I had forgotten about that Playboy interview Mr. Peanut did. At least he did not act on them. You can't say that for the other three.
Thanks for posting. Kind of gives a little perspective to the whole thing.
Have to question how moral it is to do an interview WITH Playboy. It is outreach but it also encourages some people to pick it up "for the articles".
"Hey, I was just going to post this!!! Any chance that this stuff will become the next talking points of the MSM that pulled Sally Hemmings out of the air to save Bill?"
Is it still incest if she's a "distant" cousin? Does that count as a sex scandal?
Or only in Jerry Lee Lewis' case?
We were discussing Gerry Studds while watching the MA Gubernatorial Debate and there seems to be some confusion about what happened to Studds. Some of us are remember that the Republicans wrote up the charge of Censure for Studds and the Democrats would not participate.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.