posted on 10/28/2006 6:18:28 PM PDT
Israeli Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni reportedly plans to attend a U.N. conference on democracy in Qatar next week.
Qatar extends unprecedented invitation to Israeli FM
Al Bawaba ^ | 10/24/06
Posted on 10/24/2006 8:52:42 AM CDT by Valin
In what has been labeled by some a breakthrough in Middle East political relations, Qatar on Tuesday extended an invitation to Israels Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni to visit the Arab nation for the first time.
Experts are calling the invitation a part of efforts by moderate legates of Arab countries to lead to a diplomatic breakthrough in the region. According to Ynet, the invitation and the possibility of Israel taking up Qatar on the unprecedented move will reportedly be discussed by Israeli leaders on Tuesday afternoon.
Last year, relations between the two countries began to show signs of warming when the foreign minister at the time, Silvan Shalom, met with Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jasam al-Thani, in New York at the United Nations headquarters.
Qatar at the time revealed that it was contemplating establishing open diplomatic relations with Israel.
Israeli Foreign Minister May Go to Qatar
AP ^ | 10/25/06 | RAMIT PLUSHNICK-MASTI http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1725623/posts
Posted on 10/25/2006 10:42:30 AM CDT by Valin
JERUSALEM Israel's foreign minister is expected to travel to Qatar next week, a trip that would make her the most senior Israeli official to visit the Gulf state in 10 years. Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni plans to attend a U.N. conference on democracy, ministry officials said Wednesday.
Livni would be the highest Israeli official to visit Qatar since then-Prime Minister Shimon Peres traveled there in 1996. The Peres visit paved the way for the opening of an Israeli trade office in Doha and low-level diplomatic ties between the countries. Earlier this week, officials said Livni might discuss the Iranian nuclear program and the fate of Cpl. Gilad Shalit, the Israeli soldier kidnapped by Hamas-linked militants in the Gaza Strip.
Qatar, which has low-level diplomatic ties with Israel, also has good relations with Hamas and has attempted to mediate between the sides in the past. Qatari officials were not immediately available for comment due to the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr.
This could be a big thing.
(just one mans opinion, freely given and worth almost that much.)
posted on 10/28/2006 7:14:13 PM PDT
I'm sure the Olmert-bashing brigade will arrive any minute and blame him for not welding together an Arab-Israeli alliance against Iran. :')
Thanks for posting this topic. The old back channel (even before their 1994 treaty) was between King Hussein of Jordan and the Israeli PM's office. Hussein even tried to warn Golda Meir's gov't of the impending October 1973 war. I don't think that's the case with the late King's son and successor.
posted on 10/28/2006 7:35:37 PM PDT
(Dhimmicrati delenda est! https://secure.freerepublic.com/donate/)
The original draft of the EU3's UNSC resolution on Iran.
- Kyodo News published the original draft resolution prepared by Britain, France and Germany calling for economic and diplomatic sanctions against Iran.
Iran Moves to Double Uranium Enrichment.
- CBS News reported that Iran expanded its controversial nuclear program by injecting gas into a second network of centrifuges to enrich uranium, a semiofficial news agency reported Friday.
Israeli PM compares Iran With Nazi Germany.
- The Guardian reported that Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert compared Iran's nuclear ambitions and threats against Israel with the policies of Nazi Germany and criticized world leaders who maintain relations with Iran's president.
The controversy over the Islamic Republics' role in '94 Argentine blast.
- CNSNews.com reported that a 1994 bombing in Argentina has been offered as proof of Iran's longtime effort to kill and terrorize Jews. They said the attack twelve years ago is proof that Iranian threats should be taken seriously.
- CNN News reported that the Iranian government rejected as unfounded accusations by Argentine prosecutors that high-ranking Iranian officials were linked to a 1994 Buenos Aires bombing.
Islamic Republic's Supreme Leader admits to Iranian malaise over his rule.
- Iran Press News reported that Khamenei discussed “the public’s malaise” and revealed the internal crisis of his rule.
Here are a few other news items you may have missed.
- Amir Taheri, Asharq Alawsat examined the assertion that Iraq is "another Vietnam" for the US. He argued that the problem is that because we are never told what the phrase “another Vietnam” actually means.
- Iran Press News reported that a man accused of forging documents and possession of alcoholic beverages lost his hands due to the severity of the torture inflicted upon him. Also in this report: Torture in ward 209: stripped naked and attacked by Russian-trained dogs and the Bureau of intelligence, a place of torture and murder of detainees.
- Iran Press News reported that Amnesty International released an appeal for support for student activist and blogger Kianoosh Sanjari was arrested on 7 October whilst reporting on clashes between security forces and supporters of Shi'a cleric Ayatollah Sayed Hossein Kazemeyni Boroujerdi.
- Iran Press News reported that Mousavi-Khoini, secretary-general of Fostering Unity was released from prison on Saturday night, October 21st, after 130 days of detention in Evin prison’s infamous ward 209 which is controlled by the agents and torturers of the ministry of intelligence and security.
- Iran Press News published excerpts from Mullah Makawrem-Shirazi’s official website site in which he discussed when it is permissible to beat your wife for not meeting her husbands sexual needs.
- MEMRITV published a video of an address delivered by Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in which he said: "the West was being held hostage by "the Zionists" by means of the Holocaust, and instructed it to pick up "[the Zionist regime]by the arms and legs, and remove it" from the Middle East."
posted on 10/28/2006 9:59:04 PM PDT
(Until they are Free, "We shall all be Iranians!")
To: Pan_Yans Wife; fat city; freedom44; Tamsey; Grampa Dave; PhiKapMom; Hinoki Cypress; ...
Join Us At Today's Iranian Alert Thread The Most Underreported Story Of The Year!
"If you want on or off this Iran ping list, Freepmail DoctorZin
posted on 10/28/2006 9:59:49 PM PDT
(Until they are Free, "We shall all be Iranians!")
Wow!! A well written piece expressing the true state of affirs and hinting at the reason for the US involvement in Iraq.
It contained no bigoted Christian Arab or Muslim bashing.
There will be FReepers knashing of teeth and breaking keyboards when they read such an article that disagrees with the predigested party line.
posted on 10/29/2006 5:18:18 AM PST
(K.E. N.P. get wise while yet you may)
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson