Skip to comments.Rare brain worms spread by unsanitary cooks[Texas]
Posted on 01/12/2007 2:27:10 PM PST by SwinneySwitch
There was a time when Renaldo Ramirez, of Houston, didn't like to cook.
The 50-year-old ate most of his meals at mobile kitchens until he found out food contaminated with tapeworm eggs almost killed him.
"He's scared now. He's scared of any food from outside," Ramirez said through his sister who interpreted for him.
Ramirez is a tile worker who immigrated to the U.S. from El Salvador 20 years ago.
"It was a mild headache, but it wouldn't go away," he said. "It was just there and it wouldn't go away with Tylenol."
Doctors at a clinic gave him medicine for high blood pressure. A few days later he passed out and didn't wake up for eight days.
Dr. Aaron Mohanty found a cyst of tapeworm larvae living in Ramirez's brain. If it hadn't been found, the doctor said, Ramirez could have been dead within hours from the disease called cysticercosis. The disease is usually found in rural parts of developing countries with poor hygiene habits. However, Ramirez was the fourth patient Mohanty treated within a few months.
"The cycle starts with a human that's infected with the tapeworm," said Dr. Luis Ostrosky, of the UT Houston Medical Center.
The tapeworm eggs are spread by a human host who doesn't practice good hygiene after using the restroom. An unsuspecting victim then eats the contaminated food, Ostrosky said.
"These eggs hatch in the intestine and go through the gut-wall and into the circulation where they get stuck somewhere," Ostrosky said.
Ramirez's cyst was removed through a small incision. During his recovery Ramirez learned to cook and now prepares his own food.
There have been cases of cysticercosis in South Texas, San Antonio's Metro Health District said, but it is not a major outbreak.
The best way to avoid the disease, doctors say, is to wash your hands, cook meats thoroughly, especially pork, and to wash fruits and vegetables.
Exact same thing happened to the uncle of a coworker of mine. He bought some sort of pork burrito or something from one of those Mexican carts on the street. I have sworn off pork and am real leery about eating at any restaurant, especially fast food places, since so many hire illegals. Just one more way I, and many other Americans, have had to adjust and adapt because of the illegal invasion.
Just another reason to eat at home!
I think all food service places whether mobile or not should have a sanitary hand washing sink well in view of the customers. If you see someone going towards your food without washing their hands. Go out the door. You never know if someone washes their hands after using the restroom so I for one want to see them lather up.
I want my brain worms well-done.
Cue Comfortably Numb...
They use the "hot dog" water...
"... doing all kinds of work with our food chain."
I've been to fast food joints in Texas. I'll take those employees over the native fast-food employees in Mississippi ANYDAY.
"real leery about eating at any restaurant, especially fast food places, since so many hire illegals. Just one more way I, and many other Americans, have had to adjust and adapt because of the illegal invasion."
Post #29. It's funny hearing you guys complain.
Sounds like he got the disease IN America.... from all the filth brought in.
Yeah, folks...keep buying those tamales. Cheap and straight off the street.
I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more of this from now on, and not only in "developing countries"...
perhaps Kashrut is not such a bad idea even for Gentiles...
You forgot the whooping cough epidemic from a couple of years ago. I don't know where that one came from.
Build the wall now!!
If you want on or off this S. Texas/Mexico ping list, please FReepmail me.
They are intestinal parasites insiteu, in other words, they don't go to your brain. They will cause you discomfort and weight loss but, in the modern medical environment, they won't kill you and they won't, repeat, won't go to your brain. However, they will come out of your butt. That's when you go to the doctor and get something to kill them. Liberal science urinalists (spelled wrong for effect) only think that because they most always think with the place that the worms come out of, hence the confusion with the brain.
I'm a doctor, and I don't play on on TV.
Another gift from south of the border.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.