Skip to comments.Breaking: Peace Agreement Between Israel and Syria?
Posted on 01/15/2007 8:28:22 PM PST by zarf
Unverified as of this writing, and the devil is in the details, but Haaretz is reporting a historic agreement between Israel and Syria: Secret understandings reached between representatives of Israel, Syria.
In a series of secret meetings in Europe between September 2004 and July 2006, Syrians and Israelis formulated understandings for a peace agreement between Israel and Syria.
The main points of the understandings are as follows:
* An agreement of principles will be signed between the two countries, and following the fulfillment of all commitments, a peace agreement will be signed.
* As part of the agreement on principles, Israel will withdraw from the Golan Heights to the lines of 4 June, 1967. The timetable for the withdrawal remained open: Syria demanded the pullout be carried out over a five-year period, while Israel asked for the withdrawal to be spread out over 15 years.
* At the buffer zone, along Lake Kinneret, a park will be set up for joint use by Israelis and Syrians. The park will cover a significant portion of the Golan Heights. Israelis will be free to access the park and their presence will not be dependent on Syrian approval.
* Israel will retain control over the use of the waters of the Jordan River and Lake Kinneret.
* The border area will be demilitarized along a 1:4 ratio (in terms of territory) in Israels favor.
* According to the terms, Syria will also agree to end its support for Hezbollah and Hamas and will distance itself from Iran.
The document is described as a non-paper, a document of understandings that is not signed and lacks legal standing - its nature is political. It was prepared in August 2005 and has been updated during a number of meetings in Europe.
I want peace, but I trust no deal while the Assad regime is still there.
bttt the backdeals surface
At the buffer zone, along Lake Kinneret, a park will be set up for joint use by Israelis and Syrians. The park will cover a significant portion of the Golan Heights. Israelis will be free to access the park and their presence will not be dependent on Syrian approval.
Sounds like a great place for paintball battles...
My first reaction is pig in a poke.
There might be one outside chance, however. Maybe the Saudis persuaded Syria to throw in with the Sunni Arabs and stop messing around with Iran and the Shiite terrrorists. Maybe the Syrian regime was feeling too much pressure from all directions.
Not sure I believe that, but it's the one hopeful thing I can think of.
Perhaps that's why I believe that this is non-real.
When they say secret, do they mean another agreement brokered by uberschlamazel Shimon Peres?
I really, really thought this was from Scrappleface.
If the Israelis believe this, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I want to talk about selling them and they can move it across the Jordan River for the invasion forces of A-rabs and rag heads to come thundering across.
I still think it is.
People that believe this, also believe in the tooth fairy.
How and ever, Assad may be confronted by a simple strategic reality. His main ally is far away, and an American army is between Syria and his ally.
I'm convinced that one of the reasons Condi went to the ME was to sound out Olmert and the Saudis about the Boy President. I'm also pretty convinced she's been dealing with the Syrians behind the scenes.
If she ended up in Damascus this week, I wouldn't be surprised.
Be Seeing You,
I think if it happens, great. Just to play devil's advocate, but maybe Syria realizes that being friendly w/ Iran is worse in the long run than being enemies with Israel. peace was made with Egypt, one never knows.
Zarf from your profile which drugs do you want legal?
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.