Skip to comments.Giuliani Inches Closer To Official Announcement
Posted on 02/12/2007 5:48:55 PM PST by Extremely Extreme Extremist
Moves Closer To Full-Fledged Presidential Run
(CBS/AP) WASHINGTON -- Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani on Monday defended the Iraq war and criticized Al Gore's global-warming movie.
As for his presidential ambitions, Giuliani coyly inched closer to a formal announcement.
"I am 100 percent committed," he said. "That official part, I still have to do a formal announcement. But we'll figure out how to do that. My idea is that I'm going to try to announce this in 100 different places."
Giuliani, a Republican, said he supports efforts to move California's 2008 presidential primary from June to February, a shift that would allow him to compete outside of conservative early voting states where his stands on gays, guns and abortion have been viewed as too liberal.
A number of other states are also considering moving up their primaries.
In a wide-ranging speech, Giuliani emphasized his experience as mayor during the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and his record on reducing crime, unemployment and other problems in the city.
He said the war in Iraq is crucial to combating global terrorism.
"What America needs is probably a reminder of why this is happening and why the sacrifice of those American lives, which is heartbreaking, is necessary," he said. "It's necessary because having a stable situation in Iraq will quicken our ability to defeat terrorism."
Pulling out of the country too quickly, he said, will allow terrorism to "get a home and a headquarters attached to Iran and Syria."
When asked about former Vice President Al Gore's Oscar-nominated documentary about global warming, "An Inconvenient Truth," Giuliani criticized the film as lacking in solutions.
Giuliani said he believes global warming is occurring but is not sure how much is caused by humans, and he suggested the U.S. should look at expanding its use of nuclear power and other alternative energy sources.
He also said the U.S. health care crisis must be solved by "preserving the private, competitive market-driven nature of health care."
"That's a much better solution than a topdown government plan," he said.
Yay! Another Rudy thread!
21 seconds. :-)
I'll post what I offered on the one I jst posted here..
Well, if and when he does announce, he is going to put the GUbinator on the spot..
Will McCain get tossed out with the bath water for Rudy after his standing by the Gub and raising money for him.. and What about Duncan, aRnie?
The debate to move the primary will be interesting.
1. After eight years as Mayor, NY remained a high tax socialist hellhole. There goes his "fiscal conservative" bonafides.
2. Has a long history of questionable friends (Bernie Kerick, Ray Harding). There goes the "honesty" card.
3. Has a history of abandoning women when a new gal catches his eye. At least BC remained married. There goes the "moral integrity" card.
4. Lived with two gay roomates after divorce. Not that there's anything wrong with it. ;-)
5. Is on the record CONDEMNING the 1996 immigration reforms and Prop 187, stating that "NY thrives because of immigrants, documented and UNdocumented. There goes the "securing our borders card."
6. Has a history of being vehemently anti-gun, claiming that the 2nd amendment allows for "reasonable regulation." Of course, this is fitting for a law and order fetishist.
7. The last point illustrates that he has little understanding of "original intent."
9. Governed a city where the majority of inhabitants are either effete yuppies, third world immigrants, or the children of the latter. There goes the "I am an American" card.
10. Has said NOTHING about foreign policy, other than superficial sound bites and Likud Party talking points (plagiarist!). So much for "Mr. National Security."
11. Had VERY low approval ratings until 9/11 happenned, due to a lack of ethics, and clumsy handling of police shootings. There goes the "competance" card.
This is one of the many reasons why I'm backing Giuliani. He's the only Republican candidate committed to reducing big government.
No to this gun grabber.
We need to nominate a Republican, Not a gun grabbing, pro abortion, pro gay marrage "Republican"
Well at least ONE Repub (even if he`s a RINO) is announcing or might announce a run for POTUS...Why he is the only one is beyond me. All Repubs are doing is wasting time while Hellary steams right ahead, getting her pantsuits everyday in the press, the radio, TV.
If anyone would like to join the Rudy for President 2008 ping list, please freep mail Areafiftyone or post on this thread!
The Three Musketeers,
Areafiftyone, Bunny Slippers, PhiKapMom
We have seen it, along with the rest of the anti Rudy spam... and we still aren't interested in your list.
It's fun to watch hitlery roll right along off the cliff. Every time she speaks she makes more enemies on the left, and sounds more and more idiotic.
Whats the announcement.. HE's SWITCHING PARTYS?...
The GOP inches closer to the moral and the political cliff.
lol..*(very very very Liberal)
Nothing you posted at #4 makes any difference to some people who claim to be conservatives.
Might as well be talking to a liberal...
While I agree with your thought, I wasn't aware that Ted Kennedy HAD a lap.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.