|This thread has been locked, it will not receive new replies.|
|Locked on 04/02/2007 1:14:07 AM PDT by Admin Moderator, reason:|
Skip to comments.Threat Matrix: March 2007
Posted on 03/01/2007 8:28:33 PM PST by nwctwx
Surely. But it does sound like there was quite a firefight. And it comes just days after seizing the highest level Taliban leader ever captured . . . the Taliban official best positioned to reveal AQ locations since 9/11.
"Things that make you go hmmmmm"
"Things that make you go hmmmmm"...and smile.
Thanks Joe, I'll keep my hopes up that the good guys get the bad guys.
ON THE NET...
"Execution Video of Eighteen Captured Employees of the Iraqi Ministry of Interior by the Islamic State of Iraq, Claim of Capturing and Killing Additional Fourteen Employees"
By SITE Institute
March 3, 2007
ISLAMABAD: US and Pakistani agents were interrogating the Talibans former defence minister on Saturday in the hope that he can help them hunt down other militant leaders, security officials said.
Mullah Obaidullah Akhund, who had a one-million-dollar bounty on his head posted by the US Central Intelligence Agency, was arrested with four other suspects on Wednesday in Quetta. Pakistani officials said Akhund, a key aide to Taliban supremo Mullah Mohammad Omar and an insurgent commander in southern Afghanistan, was flown to the capital Islamabad by helicopter after his capture. He is being interrogated by a joint team of Pakistani and US officials in Islamabad, a senior security official said on condition of anonymity. He did not specify which US agency the officials were from.
Obaidullah is an important figure in the militant network and the authorities will want to know the strength of the group and its tentacles in Pakistan, the official added.
Akhund was arrested at a Quetta hotel on the basis of very solid intelligence, officials said. Plain-clothes agents picked him up when he arrived at the hotel where the other four suspects were already staying. It is a major breakthrough and we hope he can lead to the arrest of a few other of the most wanted Taliban commanders, the security official said. He did not say which other Taliban militants were under scrutiny.
A Taliban spokesman on Friday denied that Akhund had been captured, saying that he was still in Afghanistan. The Pakistani government has yet to officially confirm the arrest. Officials said Akhund would likely have played a key part in Talibans spring offensive. A senior government official said there was a greater focus now on Balochistan to flush out Taliban militants hiding in the region. The law enforcement set-up in the province has been beefed up in the past few months and there is a greater intelligence focus on the Taliban activities in the area.
PINDI GHEB: President General Pervez Musharraf said on Saturday that certain madrassas were involved in training militants and would have to be stopped, since they were bringing the name of the region into disrepute.
Militants send clear message to barbers
Sunday, March 04, 2007
DARA ADAM KHEL: Suspected pro-Taliban militants blew up a barbers shop and injuring relatives of MNA Dr Nasim Afridi in separate incidents on Saturday, tribal sources said. Barber Abdul Salams shop in Raheem Kalay near the main Dara bazaar was damaged in a bomb explosion at 2:00am on Saturday. The explosion damaged the shop, but no one was injured since the shop was empty when the bomb went off, tribal police sources told Daily Times.
Barbers are the latest group to be targeted by militants, who earlier targeted video stores and music shops and businessmen dealing in prize bonds. Militants in Bajaur had already warned barbers against shaving mens beards.
Thanks for the info and links Cindy. Denmark, France, I wonder how much longer before the "youths" are in full swing here.
ON THE NET...
"Special Dispatch Series - No. 1487"
March 2, 2007 No.1487
"Islamist Websites Monitor Project #69-70"
Special Dispatch Series - No. 1476
February 23, 2007 No.1476
"Islamist Websites Monitor Project No. 66-68"
Special Dispatch Series - No. 1473
February 23, 2007 No.1473
"Taliban Recruiting Hundreds of Suicide Bombers for Major Attack on NATO Forces in the Spring: Al-Jazeera Reports"
SNIPPET: "The following are excerpts from Al-Jazeera TV reports on Taliban military plans. The reports were aired on February 21 and 22, 2007.
To view this clip visit: http://www.memritv.org/search.asp?ACT=S9&P1=1387 "
"Barbers are the latest group to be targeted by militants, who earlier targeted video stores and music shops..."
What a vicious cycle -- just a different year.
Thank you Oorang for these posts.
Well, the youths are busy -- in our colleges and universities.
A bit more restrained, in my opinion, but that's about all.
You are quite right, I hadn't thought of it that way. Same agenda just a bit more subversive.
Just checked the DoD Sites and nothing on this there; Yet. Will Keep checking.
Ditto -- the jihadis are focused and stay focused on their evil agenda.
It's a good weekend.
I'm baking cornbread and made meatball soup and my husband is updstairs putting in a new flooring (updating).
Ooops, post no. 113 is in response to post no. 109.
DHAKA: Bangladesh police have arrested 10 activists of banned Islamist groups on the heels of the country's interim government saying it will enact a law soon providing tough penalties to convicted terrorists.
The 10 members of Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen and Jagrata Muslim Janata Bangladesh were arrested in a raid on their hideout in Rajshahi district, 270km northwest of the capital, Dhaka. Top leaders of the two groups - Shayek Abdur Rahman of Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen and Siddikul Islam Bangla Bhai of the other group - are facing death, along with four others, after being convicted in trials over countrywide bomb blast in 2005.
They were convicted for planning and involvement in the explosion of some 500 bombs across the country on August 17 and more bomb attacks through rest of that year, killing at least 30 people and wounding 150. An adviser to the interim government, Mainul Husein, said that a new law was being framed to ban all organisations if they were found to be linked to terrorism in any form.
Pakistan police arrest 5 militants over 39 bomb attacks
March 3, 2007
KARACHI, Pakistan: Five Islamic militants have been arrested for their alleged involvement in 39 low-scale bomb attacks in southern Pakistan, police said Saturday.
The men were captured late Friday as they tried to plant a bomb on a railway track to blow up a train in Hyderabad, a city 150 kilometers (90 miles) northeast of Pakistan's largest city, Karachi. Hyderabad police chief Shaukat Shah said the men had links with an outlawed militant group, but he would not give details.
"So far these terrorists have confessed to their role in blowing up railway tracks and planting bombs in buses," he said. It was not immediately clear how many people were killed or injured in the attacks, and Shah said officers were still investigating.
Supermarket checkout staff are being trained by the security services in how to detect potential terrorists. MI5 has been secretly advising food retailers, including Asda and Tesco, on how to identify extremist shoppers. Measures include increasing CCTV in underground carparks to prevent bomb attacks and being alert to mass purchases of mobile phones, which can be used as bomb detonators. The awareness training for staff also covers bulk sales of toiletries which could be used as the basic ingredient in explosives.
The security services and ministers are worried supermarkets are an attractive target for terrorists because of the potential for mass casualties. One terrorism expert said: "Terrorists know if they frighten people from everyday activities they are 'winning the war'. What better than a busy supermarket which is hard to defend and with lots of cars in a car park?"
A Tesco spokesman said: "We have strict procedures and contingency plans in place and we remain in close contact with the security services at all levels." Asda also confirmed it had "contingency plans" to cover a "number of potential crises".
The Asda chain is owned by the US retail giant Wal-Mart. Last year, three Palestinian-Americans from Texas were arrested in a Wal-Mart outlet in Michigan after staff spotted them bulk-buying mobile phones. The suspects claimed to be buying the 80 handsets to resell them for a profit, but police held them on suspicion they were planning to use the phones as detonators. Their van contained 1,000 phones and pictures of a bridge, police said. The men are awaiting trial.
The FBI has already thwarted a terrorist plot in the US which was aimed at hospitals and supermarkets. Last April, a 23-year-old man was convicted of supporting terror after plotting a jihad against supermarkets and hospitals in the US. Hamid Hayat, who faces a possible sentence of 38 years, admitted he had attended a terror training camp in the Balakot area of Pakistan. His plea for a new trial was rejected last month.
The FBI and the US Department of Homeland Security sent out joint bulletins in February and March to police departments nationwide warning about the bulk purchase of phones for personal profit or financing terrorism. Dame Eliza Manningham-Buller, the head of MI5, warned in the wake of the bombing of the Twin Towers that supermarkets were an attractive target for al-Qa'ida, which could use them to cause mass casualties through bombings or poison plots.
MPs also warned in a report in 2003 that more needed to be done to protect the food industry after Tesco revealed there was a "real and current threat" of terrorists contaminating food supplies.
Special Branch officers were used during the IRA bombing campaigns on the British mainland to give advice to companies, including the food industry, on the threat they faced. But security sources said that the problem is now much more serious, because modern extremists are more random in their approach, unlike the IRA which focused on very specific targets. Whitehall sources confirmed that many businesses including "those in the food industry" have been given training and advice, although they refused to give specific details.
When Muhammad Jamal Khalifa was found dead at a remote gemstone mine in south-eastern Madagascar at the end of January, local police quickly put the murder down to a business deal gone wrong. The Saudi businessman, 49, had had to call in local police to evict a gang who had taken over the mine during the owner's six-year absence. All the evidence pointed towards another of the many killings that dominate the notoriously violent Madagascar gem mining business.
Khalifa had been shot twice, stabbed and hacked at with an axe. His laptop, notebooks and money were missing, as were his two mobile phones. A survivor from the attack said a gang of up to 30 men had burst in to the guesthouse at the mine in Soameloka before setting upon their victim. But it soon became apparent to the police that this was no ordinary killing. Khalifa was a man with a past, and at the time of his death he was being monitored by the US secret service.
He was married to one of Osama bin Laden's sisters, and was once the closest friend of the al-Qaida leader. He had also been sentenced to death in absentia in Jordan for allegedly funding a bombing campaign, had funded Islamic charities in the Philippines and had played a controversial role in the arrest of the gang that attempted to blow up the World Trade Centre in 1993. After the September 11 2001 attacks he had been arrested by the Saudi authorities and for several years afterwards had been prevented from travelling abroad. He was a man with many enemies.
Explosives experts found "several" suspicious devices and home-made explosive powder in a search of a house at a Hampshire village. People living in four streets in the village of Baughurst were forced to leave their homes as a precaution. A 100m cordon was put in place around the house in Wellington Crescent following the arrest of a man. The affected residents stayed at Hurst Community College but were allowed home just after 0100 GMT on Sunday.
The police action followed the arrest of a man, said to be aged in his twenties. A spokesman for Hampshire Police said: "Early indications are there are several small possible explosive devices inside." He added: "There is no intelligence that this arrest is connected to terrorism, nor is it connected to any others such as animal rights type groups." Two army bomb disposal teams, 25 police officers, three fire engines and two ambulances were on standby at the village, north of Basingstoke.
Police track chlorine lorries in terror alert (U.K.)
Sunday March 4, 2007
Police are monitoring the movement of industrial chlorine across Britain amid fears that terrorists are planning to hijack lorries transporting the toxic chemical. The security services have identified chlorine as a potential new weapon following a series of attacks in Iraq during the past fortnight in which insurgents have successfully detonated makeshift chemical weapons made from chlorine.
Stephen Swain, the Metropolitan Police's former head of anti-terrorism, said Scotland Yard and MI5 are working with the Road Haulage Association to ensure drivers are trained to spot potential threats. Swain added: 'Chlorine's a really nasty material and there's a lot of it about. There is a lot of work being done by the security services to try to track where all this is going.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.