Skip to comments.Meet Your "Moderate," "American" Muslim Neighbors: New Study Shows U.S. Muslims Are Extremists
Posted on 05/23/2007 7:03:30 AM PDT by GFritsch
For almost six years, we've heard the constant chorus: "Muslims in America are different."
On 9/11, we were told that American Muslims would never commit the attacks like those perpetrated upon 3,000 Americans by 19 foreign Arab Muslims in our midst. The 19 men were different. They "hijacked their religion," we were told.
on 7/7, we were told that European Muslims are different. We were told that American Muslims would never try to blow up subways and train stations here, unlike those in London who did it . . . twice, and those in Madrid who killed far more on their trains.
Poll of American Muslims: Islam is Hazardous to America We were told--and continue to be told--that American Muslims would never continuously riot in the streets, burning hundreds of cars a day, as they've been doing throughout France, going on 3 years, and violently attacking and injuring more than a dozen police per day. American Muslims are different, we're told. They're far more assimilated, far more successfuly financially (as if jihad and Islamism are motivated by finances, not an extremist religion).
Younger Muslims--born and/or raised in America--are more "Westernized" we've been didactically informed. They would never do such a thing. They've watched "The Simpsons" and grown up with Christina Aguilera. Therefore, they'd never want to blow a fellow American up, we've been instructed.
Since 9/11, we've been subject to a virtual echo chamber from the conventional wisdom-ites: that Muslims in America different from their pan-jihadist brothers and sisters around the world--that somehow their American experience is far different, even though their mosques and imams and korans and hadiths preach the same hate against us.
Well, now we've come to find out that Muslims in America are not so different from their co-religionists around the world. In fact, their viewpoints are pretty much the same as that of their religious counterparts around the world, and getting more extreme with age and American upbringing.
The message of the just-released Pew Research Center study on "Muslim Americans" is clear (if you can get beyond the biased press coverage and headlines): America hasn't moderated Islam or its adherents. Islam has made America Muslim residents more extreme, just as with its European counterparts. Wealth and education and opportunity and freedom have done nothing to moderate them.
The title of the study is deceptive: "Muslim Americans: Middle Class and Mostly Mainstream." But while the study shows that most Muslims in America are, indeed, middle-class, they are anything but "Mainstream." That is, unless the mainstream is referring to the mainstream of Islam around the world and not the mainstream of American values.
Islamists, like Ingrid Matteson, president of the extremist Islamic Society of North America, consulted with Pew in conducting this study. But, even with the cosmetics, the numbers and opinions should disturb you. Without the cosmetics, the real numbers are far worse.
Here are the notable results (and, remember, since people lie in polls, the real statistics are likely a lot worse):
American Muslims Support Homicide Bombings
* More than one in four Muslims (or 26%), aged 18-29, said "Suicide Bombing is Justified." 2% percent of them say it can often be justified, 13% say sometimes, and 11% say rarely. Add to that, the 5% don't know/refused to answer this easy, instinctive question, and it's even worse--for a total of 31%--almost a third of young American Muslims, who support homicide bombings. This younger group of Muslims is the most radical, the study found, and it's the largest group of Muslims in America. It is also the future of "America's" Islam.
* 12% of foreign-born Arab Muslims said that "Suicide Bombing Can be Justified Often/Sometimes." That's more than one in ten. 10% of them don't know/refused to answer. That's a total of 22% who apparently support homicide bombings. That's more than one in five and almost one in four. Yup, if you meet an Arab Muslim on the streets of America, it's a likely one in four chance he/she supports homicide bombings.
* 8% of all U.S. Muslims said suicide bombing is justified. Add to that the 9% that don't know/refused to answer, and you get 17%, almost 1 in 5 American Muslims. For all foreign-born U.S. Muslims, 9% support suicide bombings--plus 9% refusing to answer, and it's 18%. For all native-born U.S. Muslims, it's 8% who support the bombings, plus 5% who refused to respond--for a total of 13%. Yup, being born and raised in the U.S. isn't the moderating force it's cracked up to be . . . if you're raised in the Islamic faith.
American Muslims Support Al-Qaeda
So much for the Muslim propaganda slogans about Al-Qaeda not representing Islam and "hijacking the religion." A significant portion of America's Muslims support the group, and it's growing:
* More than one in four American Muslims, aged 18-29, support Al-Qaeda. 7% outright viewed it favorably, plus 19% don't know/refused to answer--for a total of 26%. Yup, more than one in four young Muslims in America supports Qaeda.
* One third of American Muslims age thirty or more support Al-Qaeda. 4% support the group outright, plus the 29% that refused to answer, for a total of 33%. If you can't answer an outright no to this question, you support Al-Qaeda.
* Of all American Muslims, only 58% have a very unfavorable view of Al-Qaeda. 5% of American Muslims admitted to viewing Qaeda favorably and 27% refused to answer or claimed they didn't know. Hmmm . . . 32% or about 1/3 of all American Muslims either openly liking Al-Qaeda or not wanting us to know what they really think (which means they like Qaeda, too).
Muslims Don't Consider Themselves as Americans
* Among those under 30, only one in four--25%--consider themselves Americans first. 60% consider themselves Muslim first, 10% say "both equally," and 5% don't know. Age 30 and over, only 30% say they consider themselves American first, with 41% considering themselves Muslim first. Among total Muslims, 47% think of themselves as Muslim first, not American.
* Only 43% of all American Muslims said "Muslims coming to the U.S. today should adopt American Customs." Among native-born American Muslims, that number drops to 37%.
Most American Muslims Don't Believe Al-Qaeda Perpetrated 9/11 Attacks
Apparently, American Muslims want it both ways. Many of them cheer Al-Qaeda on, yet claim they don't believe Qaeda perpetrated the 9/11 attacks:
* Only 40% of American Muslims believe Arabs carried out the 9/11 attacks. 28% don't believe it, with 32% refusing to answer/don't know. That's a total of 60% who claim it wasn't Qaeda. Among American-born Muslims, it's hardly better. 48% believe Arabs did 9/11. 31% don't believe it, and 21% refuse to answer/don't know, for a total of 52% not believing Arabs committed the attacks.
And there are other serious implications:
The study says that 65% of Muslims are still foreign-born, mostly from the Middle East. Why are we allowing--why have we allowed--so many of those who hate us into this country to spread their hate and reproduce it in large families?
The study shows that even from 2000-2007, 18% of Muslims are still immigrants--significantly up from the 1980s. Why--after 9/11--are we letting one in five Muslims in America in from countries and a religion that hate us? It isn't news to me. But it should be disturbing, nonetheless, that we have a policy of affirmative-action immigration for the religion of 19 hijackers and assorted worldwide beheaders, homicide bombers, and rioters.
But, predictably, this extremism and its implications and suggestions for our immigration policy, for our student visa policy, for other policies that should keep more Muslims out of America is ignored by the press.
Instead, they pretend--as do the makers of this study at Pew who call American Muslims "Mostly Mainstream"--that the study shows Muslims to be "just like us."
The National Public Radio headline: "Pew Study Sees Muslim Americans Assimilating."
Since when is one in four members of a religion supports homicide bombings in America a sign of "assimilation"?
Perhaps when the sister of the homicide bomber grew up learning who Paris Hilton is on FOX News and CNN.
Muslims do either one of two things. They either actively participate in terrorist plots and actions or they contribute money to those that will participate.
“Moderate,” “American” Muslim Neighbors” Listed below:
I’ve listed them above - there is no such thing (for those not paying attention)
Moderate Muslim is an oxymoron, period.
Islam is the pox on all our houses.
Spread the word. We must stop Mohammedan immigration.
Then why does our government continue to provide support for some of the “moderates” in places such as Europe?
KLBJ has a MuSLIME woman on the radio now, and she actually SUPPORTS killing other people. This is crazy.
the only muslims i have met who i don’t completely mistrust are the ones who were just born into it and don’t follow the religion-no one can pick their parents
And I’m guessing that, either way, they won’t be rushing to tell us about it. Even after the fact. I didn’t see willingness to perjure oneself, to protect those known to be engaging in this activity, on the list, but I’m guessing if they don’t mind the idea of suicide bombing, then perjury is not so much an issue. And even if it’s only 25% of American born and a smaller percentage for the more serious issues, that’s still a number of young people and a larger number willing to be their accomplices. Quite an eyeopener, but not necessarily a surprise.
“So much for the Muslim propaganda slogans about Al-Qaeda not representing Islam and “hijacking the religion.”
Al Qaeda (really the larger Muslim Brotherhood, et al) haven’t “hijacked” islam.......they have only re-activated its longstanding covenant against all others. Simple as that.
If they are NOT citizens,
send them home, send them all home.
Quote of the week, at least, right there.
Quote of the week, at least, right there.
What to do with the dens of hatred (mosques) that have popped up in our country like bedbugs and head lice?
(Just a little reference there to what our illegal friends carry with them as they crawl across our border.)
And what to do with the millions who are crowding into our cities. How long will it take for Detroit to be renamed? Of course Detroit was in a sorry state before the influx of the muslims.
I have never before seen the don’t know category assumed for one of the choices.
A good article on Islime can be read at:
select: “a must read”
pull up: “Article 29/Islam, the Final End Time Beast”
print and save for future reference.
A jihadist is a moderate muslim who actually follows his teachings.
The 26% who approve suicide bombing must be expelled. Those who contribute to terrorist organizations must be expelled. Since we don’t know who is who, I suggest making them all prove that they can live in a civilized country.
Another headline on the Pew results was disingenously “American Muslims Just Say “NO” to Bombs”.
What a sad joke of a headline. Obvious coverup that works for those unwilling to lift the curtain and read the actual alarming results.
600,000 moslems in America favor suicide bombing. 600,000 guest workers are proposed by Congress. It’s a match!
I bet a higher percentage of democrats thinks its ok.
A couple of points
1 I am always amazed the we sing the praises of polls that support a position he hold (no matter who puts it out, I would hazzard a guess that most Freepers would consider Pew Research Center leftist, cerntinly left of center) and call into question the motives and methods of those polls we don’t agree with or those that say things we don’t like (example 65% of Americans don’t support the war in Iraq)
2 (More than one in four Muslims (or 26%), aged 18-29, said “Suicide Bombing is Justified.”)
Wouldn’t that mean that 74% don’t think this?
( 12% of foreign-born Arab Muslims said that “Suicide Bombing Can be Justified Often/Sometimes)
That would mean that 88% don’t
(8% of all U.S. Muslims said suicide bombing is justified)
92% don’t agree.
So what do these number tell us?
1) We’ve still got some work to do, but then we’ll always have so work to do. That’s why God gives us two arms a strong back and a brain.
2) The majority of Muslim/American DON’T support the jihadists, Very good news, these number are much better than those found on Muslims not liveing here (10-15% according to Daniel Pipes)
Ranting and raveing screaming round em up ship em out (ie becoming a Michael Savage clone) dose nothing but provide aid and comfort to OBL and the jihadists.
We should deport Muslims, but there is no political will to do so. The best we can hope for, politically, is an end to Muslim immigration. But even that's a stretch. We can't even end illegal Mexican immigration.
Personally, we must pray and work for their conversion. There's little else that we can do.
Adding the “don’t know/refused to comment” in with the supporters of suicide bombing is lousy polling practice. The raw data is enough to make the case.
you know perfectly well that more moozies had sense enough to lie and say they didn’t support it (even though it is a FACT that their “religion” blesses it) than those dumb enough to say so.....
gimme a break from your subtle and pleading cultural jihad!
It's Pew, what did you expect? They're the ones that fueled the fake campaign finance reform movement, then bragged about it afterwards. Frankly, I would take anything they do with a grain of salt - they are liberal, after all.
Well...You do live in the Austin area...;-)
Just (close yer eyes) go to your happy place...Think nice thoughts...ohhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm...
Hopefully yer blood pressure will come down a few notches...
Now is not the time...
So, if there are 6 million moslems in the USA (with more everyday) and one quarter of them are radical - that’s around 15,000 isn’t it?
15,000 suicide/homocide bombers strapping on their belts.
Since the young ones tend to be born here - there’s no way they will be deported.
Well, my friends, kiss America as we’ve known and loved it goodbye.
And thank your federal government for this. Both parties - both dems and repubs have participated in this cultural suicide.
YEARS ago I heard a joke. What is the differance between a extremist muslims and a moderate muslims? Moderate muslims only holds a grudge for 1000 years.
Since radical Islam teaches that the only sure way of going to paradise is to die in a “Holy War” (war against the infidels), it makes sense. Other than that, a Muslim can do everything a “good Muslim” should do, and it’s still Allah’s prerogative as to whether they’ll enter paradise.
It’s sad, really, that they’re so brainwashed.
I aim to please...And my wife just says “Please aim!” ;-)
I was an English major, but one quarter of 6 million is 1.5 million (1,500,000).
Yep, the only way to view these statistics is to ask the same questions to Liberal Democrats then compare the answers.
What fraction of American Christians would say they are Christians first? They must be extremists.
They are entitled to their beliefs, it really isn’t that important. They shouldn’t be here or anywhere in the West because their presence, even if they are moderate, will damage our culture. That is what is important and that isn’t a Muslim thing, it’s a Western elitist thing, a politically correct thing. The great idea behind mass third world immigration, that we’ll all come together in a salad bowl or melting pot and it will demonstrate to the world the silliness of nations and divisions and usher in a one world government and utopia, simply isn’t going to happen. The only thing that will happen is that the West will be destroyed and other nations like China that refuse to adopt the suicidal beliefs of the West will take the dominant role in the world for the simple reason that the organized and unified will always beat the unorganized and ununified. It’s amazing that anyone who calls himself a conservative could sigh up for the program.
THey were asked is suicide bombing justified to defend Islam. What in the world does defend Islam mean?
-Defending Islam means that ANYBODY who is NOT a Muslim is an ENEMY and deserves to die if unwilling to convert. If Islam is THE truth, then anyone who is not Islam is against the truth (Islam) and must be ‘defended’ against.
This 26%, while a scary number doesn’t even account for those who won’t admit that they are for suicide bombing of infidels. According to the Koran, it’s okay to lie to infidels also -those who took the poll.
We have a scary situation right here on American soil.
The new Immigration Bill may indeed allow any ME immigrant in according to its text without profiling, and allow them to be legalized if they are already here. What is to stop that ? Not that travesty. And , of course, Islam is peace!
How insane are our liberal pansy, Politically Correct imbeciles that we have allowed to rule us!
And if they are muslims let them stay and plot and finance terrorist killers.
WE were born to be fooled. Look at the people we've elected to further what the founding fathers fought for.