Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Local scientist calls global warming theory 'hooey'
The Capitol Times ^ | June 18, 2007 | Samara Kalk Derby

Posted on 06/18/2007 10:11:58 AM PDT by Turret Gunner A20

Reid Bryson, known as the father of scientific climatology, considers global warming a bunch of hooey. The UW-Madison professor emeritus, who stands against the scientific consensus on this issue, is referred to as a global warming skeptic. But he is not skeptical that global warming exists, he is just doubtful that humans are the cause of it. There is no question the earth has been warming. It is coming out of the "Little Ice Age," he said in an interview this week. "However, there is no credible evidence that it is due to mankind and carbon dioxide. We've been coming out of a Little Ice Age for 300 years. We have not been making very much carbon dioxide for 300 years. It's been warming up for a long time," Bryson said. The Little Ice Age was driven by volcanic activity. That settled down so it is getting warmer, he said.

Humans are polluting the air and adding carbon dioxide to the atmosphere, but the effect is tiny, Bryson said.

"It's like there is an elephant charging in and you worry about the fact that there is a fly sitting on its head. It's just a total misplacement of emphasis," he said. "It really isn't science because there's no really good scientific evidence."

(Excerpt) Read more at madison.com ...


TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS: climatechange; littleiceage
I wonder if this will shut AlGore up.

(he asks, tongue in cheek)

1 posted on 06/18/2007 10:12:00 AM PDT by Turret Gunner A20
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Turret Gunner A20

The best part of this story is that he is/was a professor from the second most liberal school in America...


2 posted on 06/18/2007 10:13:06 AM PDT by cardinal4
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Turret Gunner A20
Here is a link Mr. Bryson may find helpful:
3 posted on 06/18/2007 10:28:10 AM PDT by Michael.SF. ("The military Mission has long since been accomplished" -- Harry Reid, April 23, 2007)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Turret Gunner A20
"It's like there is an elephant charging in and you worry about the fact that there is a fly sitting on its head. It's just a total misplacement of emphasis,"

Great analysis!

4 posted on 06/18/2007 10:43:43 AM PDT by Red_Devil 232 (VietVet - USMC All Ready On The Right? All Ready On The Left? All Ready On The Firing Line!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Turret Gunner A20
The release in February of the latest report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) put the likelihood that human beings are the cause of global warming at 90 percent.

When a bureaucrat says there is a 90% chance of something, he is saying that he has absolutely no clue. It is a maybe/maybe not statement. The 10% is just a place-holder, so when the maybe not happens, be bureaucrat has a way out.

Does anybody seriously think this 90% figure was arrived at through any rigorous scientific process?

5 posted on 06/18/2007 10:50:33 AM PDT by gridlock (ELIMINATE PERVERSE INCENTIVES)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Turret Gunner A20

Nah, the best part of this article was the fact that the only people they could find for a rebuttal were an ASSISTANT professor of atmospheric and oceanic studies and an ASSOCIATE scientist (read grad students). Plus, when’s the last time you read a pro-global warming article where they included an opposing opinion?


6 posted on 06/18/2007 11:19:47 AM PDT by tstote
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Michael.SF.

He is retired.


7 posted on 06/18/2007 12:02:31 PM PDT by Duke Nukum (I've been spending my life among fly specks while miracles have been leaning on lampposts...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: Duke Nukum
I usually use the /sarchasim tag when I make a sarcastic remark because sarcasm is often very much subject to interpretation.

I guess now I will have to devise a /joke tag when making a joke.

However, if one makes a joke, and no one gets it, then perhaps the joke should not have been made in the first place.

8 posted on 06/18/2007 12:52:20 PM PDT by Michael.SF. ("The military Mission has long since been accomplished" -- Harry Reid, April 23, 2007)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: Turret Gunner A20

bUMP


9 posted on 06/19/2007 7:05:55 AM PDT by Turret Gunner A20
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson