Skip to comments.Godfather of the immigration mess - Edward Kennedy
Posted on 06/18/2007 6:36:47 PM PDT by YellowRoseofTx
SENATOR Edward Kennedy has been the godfather of America's immigration policy since the mid 1960s. No other figure in American politics bears as much responsibility as he for the current pathetic state of U.S. immigration affairs.
As chairman of the Senate Subcommittee on Immigration, Senator Kennedy has had chief oversight responsibility for the Immigration and Naturalization Service, which he has allowed to degenerate into one of the most ineffective agencies in the Federal Government. He was the chief sponsor of the Immigration Amendments of 1965 and the Refugee Act of 1980, and a major proponent of the fraud-ridden 1986 immigration amnesty. In each case, he has grossly miscalculated the number of immigrants who would enter the country, the administrative burdens on the INS, and the magnitude of fraud.
In 1965, the American people were guaranteed that immigration would never exceed its then low level of 250,000 a year. Today, it is at an all-time high: nearly one million a year and growing. Because of persistent congressional miscalculations, immigrants and their descendants will fuel a massive increase in the population of the United States for the foreseeable future. Immigration continues unabated, without regard to changing U.S. labor markets, conditions in the inner cities, or the growing costs to state and local taxpayers. Kennedy's role in creating this situation has been enormous.
Miscalculations of the impact on immigration of changes he sponsored. Legislation that Kennedy marshaled through Congress in the mid 1960s, 1980, and 1990 produced massive immigration flows--flows of a magnitude unprecedented in American history--for which the American public and the INS were, and are, ill prepared. Despite repeated promises from Kennedy that these laws would not increase overall immigration, they have done just that.
Miscalculations of the administrative impact of his changes. Senator Kennedy has persistently miscalculated the administrative impact of changes he has made in immigration laws. For example, the 1980 Refugee Act was designed to remove foreign-policy considerations from the formulation of our refugee laws. Instead, it laid the foundations for a massive bureaucracy that has sent phony asylum applications skyrocketing to over 100,000 a year.
Another example is the Seasonal Agricultural Worker (SAW) amnesty. This program was enacted at the behest of Senator Kennedy as an alternative to the temporary-worker program promoted by California growers. The SAW amnesty was estimated by the New York Times to have fraud rates as high as 70 per cent, and the number of people who took advantage of the amnesty was estimated to be at least three times the number that were qualified given the size of America's agricultural labor force.
Huge backlogs, crushing numbers. Thanks to Senator Kennedy's mismanagement of the nation's immigration laws, there are now over three million people on the visa waiting list, which stretches for years and years. Thanks to the amnesty pushed by Senator Kennedy in 1986, millions more will be getting onto the list in the next three years. This volume of applications will crush an already dysfunctional system.
Visa fraud. It is now impossible to detect people who overstay visas. INS has no effective arrival/departure tracking system, so those who enter through fraud can never be detected.
Ineffective border patrolling. We now have a Border Patrol that is unable to stop most of those who seek to enter the nation illegally. Since the mid 1970s, the Border Patrol has been returning apprehended aliens right back to the border to try again moments later. Senator Kennedy's tacit acceptance of this status quo has been a source of growing dissatisfaction in Massachusetts and across the country.
Lack of oversight. In the past 14 years, Senator Kennedy has held only one general oversight hearing on the operations of the immigration service. He has ignored or glossed over the causes of America's immigration crisis, including massive administrative backlogs, overburdened investigators, inadequate detention space, largescale asylum fraud, and ineffective use of technology.
Today, amid a national clamor for more effective immigration controls, Senator Kennedy stands as the politician most responsible for the mess.
COPYRIGHT 1994 National Review, Inc. COPYRIGHT 2004 Gale Group
Nothing new here. Fat Ted was the floor manager of the 1965 Senate Immigration Reform bill; he gutted Reagan’s employer sanctions in the IRCA of 1986; and he is one of the major players pushing todays liberal immigration reform proposal.
Just say NO to Illegal Alien Amnesty!! Keep calling!! Its NOT OVER!!
U.S. Senate switchboard: (202) 224-3121
U.S. House switchboard: (202) 225-3121
White House comments: (202) 456-1111
Find your House Rep.: http://www.house.gov/writerep
Find your US Senators: http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
Clan Kennedy should emigate back to Eire and pretend they were never here.
we could guard the border with oldsmobiles...
I don’t want this fat drunk piece of sewage in charge of cleaning the toilets in the DC subway. Having this worthless fat ass in the government only proves that the system is totally broken. It’s time to flush these turds down the drain.
Ted Kennedy is a marxist who hates the concept of the US Constitution and the opportunities it offers. His family acquired the status they did in America largely by illegal bootlegging of booze during the Prohibition era and hard ball backroom politics.This guy walked away from an accident that left a woman trapped underwater in an automobile for an ENTIRE night while he tried to figure out how to save his poltical career.There is NOTHING that Ted Kennedy signs his name to that is good for the United States or its citizens !!!
Text of KGB Letter on Senator Ted Kennedy
KGB Letter Outlines Sen. Kennedy’s Overtures to Soviets, Prof Says
The Kennedy KGB letter
Professional at that...
With the kind of reply you just posted, I can only surmise you were a corrupt one. Much like Capt. Mark McCluskey.
This is beside the $2.7 TRILLION in federal programs.
Just try to pin the tail on that fat-a**ed donkey. It should be an easy target, but the MSM doesn’t wear blindfolds, they gouge out their own eyes to keep him safe. I swear I’m getting angrier and angrier with events in this country. Justice seems to be on vacation somewhere.
Wow! That was almost poetic.
Thank you for your kind posting. Your opinion is very important to me. Please wait and one of our snide reply representatives will be with you as soon as one becomes available. Thank you.
By the way try the veal. It’s the best in town.
Or...How I saved my ass and let a woman drown...It’s obvious why he drinks so much...he tries to forget he’s a coward.
Benedict Arnold was a patriot, compared to Teddy Kennedy.
It’s beyond good. This is key wisdom in why things are so screwed up... I coincidently got this in my email box.
* Eliminated country-specific quotas
* Broad numerical limits were nearly doubled from 154,000 to 290,000
* Changed Eastern Hemispheric annual quotas to 170,000 (20,000 per country)
* Created a first time annual cap of 120,000 for the Western Hemisphere
* Special preference rules making immediate family members exempt from numerical quotas, however, caused the 290,000 official ceiling to be shattered.
* Coupled with European economic prosperity in mid 1960s, European immigrants to the US dropped to less than 20%. Latin America and Asia become the leading sources of immigrants.
Refugee Act of 1980
* U.S. broadens definition of allowable refugees
* 125,000 refugees allowed annually
* From 1981-1986, more than 450,000 refugees and asylum seekers
1986 Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA)
* Legalized 2.7 million unauthorized aliens (about 1.6 million illegal residents who entered prior to 1982, and 1.1 million illegal agricultural laborers who had worked in the U.S. for at least 6 months)
* Sought to curb illegal immigration by establishing penalties for employers who knowingly hire illegal aliens
1990 Immigration Act
* Raised the annual ceiling from 270,000 to 700,000 for 1992-94 and 675,000 afterwards (including 480,000 family-sponsored, 140,000 employment-based, and 55,000 “diversity” immigrants)
* Allows an unlimited number of visas for immediate relatives -children, parents and spouses - of US citizens, not counted under the cap
* The 125,000 allowable refugees are also not counted under the cap
* Almost nine (9) million immigrants came to the U.S. in the 1990s
1996 Immigration Reform Law
* Addressed concerns about illegal immigration through a variety of law enforcement measures, including increased border control personnel, equipment and technology.
* Doubled, for example, the number of border patrol agents from 5,175 in 1996 to almost 10,000 by 2000.
* Confronted concerns about illegal immigrants access to government benefits by making undocumented immigrants ineligible for Social Security benefits
* Illegal immigrants still currently enter the U.S. at an estimated rate of 300,000 per year. Seven million illegal immigrants are currently estimated to be living in the U.S.
1996 Welfare Reform Law
* Barred legal immigrants entering the U.S. after 1996 from most federal means- tested programs (food stamps, CHIP, Medicaid, etc) for 5 years
* Raised the income and legal standards for U.S. residents who sponsor immigrants
* Barred illegal immigrants eligibility from most federal, state and local public assistance
2000 H-1B Visa Legislation
* Increased the number of temporary immigration visas for high-technology workers from 65,000 in 1990 to 115,000 for fiscal years 1999-2000 to 195,000 for fiscal years 2001-2003. In fiscal year 2004 the number was returned to 65,000.
Ted Kennedy has already pushed SEVEN amnesties into law. None was followed by a reduction in illegal immigration. Why should anybody believe this one will be?
1. In 1986, Ted Kennedy’s blanket amnesty for 2.7 million illegal aliens promised a lot more enforcement but did not set any requirments for actual reductions in illegal immigration. The illegal flow continued.
2. In 1994, Ted Kennedy’s Section 245(i) Amnesty gave legal residence and jobs to 578,000 illegal aliens. It was a temporary rolling amnesty primarily for extended family members of immigrants who instead of waiting in line, come on to the country illegally. The illegal flow continued.
3. In 1997, Ted Kennedy’s extension of the Section 245(i) rolling amnesty was followed by an increasing flow of illegal immigration.
4. In 1997, Ted Kennedy also won an amnesty for close to one million illegal aliens from Central America. Illegal immigration sped up some more.
5. In 1998, Ted Kennedy won an amnesty for 125,000 illegal aliens from Haiti. The illegal flow continued.
6. In 2000, Ted Kennedy got the so-called Late Amnesty, legalizing another 400,000 illegal aliens who claimed that they missed out on Kennedy’s 1986 amnesty. Illegal immigration continued unimpeded.
7. In 2000, Ted Kennedy also won the LIFE Act Amnesty for an estimated 900,000 illegal aliens. It was another reinstatement of the rolling Section 245(i) amnesty., an estimated 900,000 illegal aliens. Illegal immigration accelerated.
Now, Ted Kennedy is saying that this amnesty is necessary if we are ever to stop the flow of illegal aliens. Why would any of these Senators believe him when he says this amnesty bill will end illegal immigration with a track record like his?