Skip to comments.A third US carrier, USS Enterprise Strike Group is speeding towards the Persian Gulf
Posted on 06/21/2007 5:16:59 AM PDT by jhpigott
According to DEBKAfiles military sources, the US naval build-up off the shores of Iran marks rising military tensions in the region, accentuated by last weeks Hamas victory which has endowed Iran with a military foothold on Israels southwestern border.
The USS Enterprise CVN 65-Big E Strike Group, the US Navys largest air carrier, will join the USS Stennis and the USS Nimitz carriers, building up the largest sea, air, marine concentration the United States has ever deployed opposite Iran. This goes towards making good on the assurances of four carriers US Vice President Dick Cheney offered the Gulf and Middle East nations during his May tour of the region.
The Big E leads a strike group consisting of the guided-missile destroyers USS Arleigh Burke DDG 51, USS Stout DDG 55, Forrest Sherman DDG 98 and USS James E. Williams DDG 95, as well as the guided missile cruiser USS Gettysburg CG 64, the SS Philadelphia SSN 690 nuclear submarine and the USNS Supply T-AOE 6>
On its decks are the Carrier Air Wing CVW 1, whose pilots fought combat missions in the Gulf and Arabian Sea during 2006. The Air Wing is made up of F/Q-18 Super Hornet strike craft, the Sidewinders Strike Fighter Squadron VFA-86, the 251st Marine Fighter Attack Squadron MFA, and the Electronic Attack Squadron VAQ 137.
The 32nd Sea Control Squadron VS consists of S-3B Vikings. The Airborne Early Warning Squadron VAQ 3 flies E-2C Hawkeye craft. The Fleet Logistics Support Squadron VRC is based on C-2A Greyhounds.
DEBKAfiles military sources report Washington is considering deploying the fourth US carrier for the region in the Red Sea opposite Saudi Arabian western coast to secure the three US carriers in the Gulf from the rear as well as the Gulf of Aqaba and Suez Canal.
if true, that is a lot of fire power all in one place
The Big E is big alright, but it’s not the largest carrier in the fleet - is it?
That really gets the attention . . .
CVN 65 Enterprise is not the “biggest air carrier” by a long shot. It is nearly the oldest and maybe the fastest. Carriers are capital ships or “strategic assets”. Should the Iranians attack them, they will recieve an immediate strategic reply. Rio Linda for nuclear response.
Debka is well known for its sensationalism, not always its accuracy
I may be wrong, but I thought it was the Reagan.
What does Debka know anyway? They just like to “start stuff”.
Not too confident our president will knock the hell out of Iran like they deserve.
Post or FReepmail me if you wish to be enlisted in or discharged from the Navair Pinglist.
This is a medium volume pinglist.
Knocking the crap out of Iran, is the one thing that you can count on from the President.
Signs That the United States is About to Bomb Iran
1. The U.S. Navy stages a “surge exercise” and moves six carrier battle groups into the Indian Ocean.
2. A “regularly scheduled exercise” moves Patriot Missile Batteies to Iraq, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia. These exercises happen from time to time, but if they happen when other things are happening
3. — Movement of B-52 and B1B bombers to the island of Diego Garcia (in the Indian Ocean).
4. — Deployment of F117 stealth bombers and F-22 fighters to anywhere in the Persian Gulf.
5. — Deployment of B-2 Stealth Bombers to Guam, where there are special facilities for maintaining these aircraft.
6. — Lockdown of Whitman Air Force Base (where most B-2 bombers are stationed) in Missouri.
7. — Increased delivery of Pizza to Pentagon
8. Sudden loss of cell service near some air force bases (from which heavy bombers would depart). At the same time, there would be sightings of Middle Eastern looking guys around these bases, trying to get their cell phones to work, while being observed by what appears to be FBI agents.
9. Deployment of KC-135/KC-10 aerial tankers to Diego Garcia, Guam and the Persian Gulf.
10. America asks nations neighboring Iran for basing and over flight rights.
Didn't you see the sailors water skiing behind her?
Or these to be observed in the case of the event or are these actually observed ?
Who runs the pizza supply of the pentagon ?
Good things come in threes.
I’ve lost confidence in him at this point.
Syria and Iran have killed too many of our boys with impunity.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.