Skip to comments.Fred Thompson: Romneycare At A Glance
Posted on 01/06/2008 2:30:43 PM PST by Fred
Fred Thompson Release:
- This is Romney's health care plan of which he claims authorship and credit. - The plan guarantees Planned Parenthood a seat at the decision-making table. - The plan provides taxpayer-funded abortions for a copay of $50. - The plan penalizes individuals not buying health insurance coverage and small businesses not offering health insurance to their employees.
Romney Is Quick To Take Credit For Massachusetts' Health Care Plan
- "I love it. It's a fabulous program." (GOP Primary Debate, Reagan Library, Simi Valley, CA, MSNBC, 5/3/2007) - "But I helped write it and I knew it well..." (GOP Primary Debate, Reagan Library, Simi Valley, CA, MSNBC, 5/3/2007)
KEY ASPECTS OF ROMNEY'S MASSACHUSETTS HEALTH CARE PLAN...
(1) Guarantees Planned Parenthood A Seat At The Table. Romney's legislation created an advisory board and guarantees, by law, that Planned Parenthood has a seat at the table. Romney's plan established a MassHealth payment policy advisory board, and one member of the Board must be from Planned Parenthood. No pro-life organization is represented. (Chapter 58 Section 3 (q) Section 16M (a), http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/seslaw06/sl060058.htm )
(2) Provides Taxpayer-Funded Abortions . Abortions are covered in the Commonwealth Care program that Romney created as Governor. Under the program, abortions are available for a copay of $50. (Menu of Health Care Services: http://www.mass.gov/Qhic/docs/cc_benefits1220_pt234.pdf )
- Romney used his line-item veto authority to strike eight sections of the bill that he found objectionable, including the expansion of dental benefits to Medicaid recipients. Yet, he did not strike Planned Parenthood's guaranteed Board representation and he did nothing to prohibit taxpayer-funded abortions as part of his plan. ("Romney's Health Care Vetoes," Associated Press, 4/12/06)
(3) Punitive Toward Small Businesses. Small Businesses are fined $295-per-employee if they do not provide health insurance coverage to employees. (Steve LeBlanc, "Mass Lawmakers Ok Mandatory Health Bill," Associated Press, 4/5/06)
(4) Punitive Toward Individuals. Individuals not obtaining health insurance coverage lose their personal state tax exemption in 2007, which will cost them an estimated $219 in higher taxes. In 2008, uncovered individuals are assessed a fine equal to 50-percent of the cost of a standard insurance policy, which could be as much as $2,000. (Michael Tanner, "No Miracle In Massachusetts," Cato Institute, 6/6/06; Steve LeBlanc, "Timing Of Health Care Law's Penalties Could Pose Risk For Romney, MA," Associated Press, 11/9/07; William C. Symonds, "In Massachusetts, Health Care for All?" Business Week, 4/4/06 )
Hey Myth have fun changing your mind on this one tonight.
Wowser!! This health care plan steenks.
Face it, folks: Slick Willard at his heart is infanticide-friendly.
$50 abortions. The Joe Isuzu Romney legacy.
GO FRED... second down, three to go....GO DEEP!
I know. Let’s run a candidate that’s against doing anything about healthcare. That sounds like a winner! /s
Good idea, especially if it aint flopflips healthcare plan. SHEESH
Man, Mitt is my second choice, but that healthcare scheme makes me sick. Hopefully he’s sincere in saying the states should create their own. But even that bothers me since he’s basically encouraging each state to adopt socialism.
Anti-socialists, such as myself, will NOT vote for either of Huckabee or Mitt. Your pining for Mitt violates the Law of Coalitions. You do that at your peril.
The GOP is composed of multiple factions, each with its own priorities. Unforntunately this election cycle, too many members of the various factions in our coalition are seeking their own faction’s ideal candidate, without regard to the opinions of other factions. The only result of such an attitude will be the destruction of the coalition that is the GOP.
We must unite behind a candidate that is at least acceptable to all the major factions, and who also has a reasonable chance to run an effective, winning campaign in the general election.
Yeah! We can't just have doctors and their patients making those decisions. Bring on RomneyCare.
RINO Romney signs his RomneyCARE (=HillaryCARE) socialized medicine (no citizen vote allowed)
surrounded by beaming Democrats who cannot believe their luck at owning such a fine and docile RINO.
Sen. John Kerry to Don Imus on RomneyCARE: "I like this health care bill".
Sen. Hillary Clinton on RomneyCARE: "To come up with a bipartisan plan in this polarized environment is commendable."
I like to see how the MittBots explain this one away.
The Massachusetts Republican Party died last Tuesday.
The cause of death: failed leadership.
The party is survived by a few leftover legislators
and a handful of county officials and grassroots activists
who have been ignored for years.
Services will be public and a mass exodus of taxpayers will follow.
In lieu of flowers, send messages to New Hampshire Republican voters
warning them about a certain presidential candidate named Romney.
- Boston Herald, 11/12/2006
Romney arrived on the scene with great promise,
but is leaving the Republican Party here in shambles.
Not only are the Republicans yielding the governors office
for the first time in 16 years, but registered Republicans
have fallen by 31,000 since Romney took office,
and their legislative presence is at historic lows.
But it worked out fine for him:
He is now chasing the prize he really covets, the presidency."
- Boston Globe 11/8/2006
Annndddddd, Myth could have BLOWN THEM OUT WITH THE LINE ITEM VETO.... way to late to claim he could not stop it...
Health care is a false premise to begin with. No one is going to refuse you at a hospital. People used to actually have savings accounts to pay for whatever else. The more the government is involved, the higher the prices are. That’s a universal truth.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.