Skip to comments.Fred Thompson: Romneycare At A Glance
Posted on 01/06/2008 2:30:43 PM PST by Fred
Fred Thompson Release:
- This is Romney's health care plan of which he claims authorship and credit. - The plan guarantees Planned Parenthood a seat at the decision-making table. - The plan provides taxpayer-funded abortions for a copay of $50. - The plan penalizes individuals not buying health insurance coverage and small businesses not offering health insurance to their employees.
Romney Is Quick To Take Credit For Massachusetts' Health Care Plan
- "I love it. It's a fabulous program." (GOP Primary Debate, Reagan Library, Simi Valley, CA, MSNBC, 5/3/2007) - "But I helped write it and I knew it well..." (GOP Primary Debate, Reagan Library, Simi Valley, CA, MSNBC, 5/3/2007)
KEY ASPECTS OF ROMNEY'S MASSACHUSETTS HEALTH CARE PLAN...
(1) Guarantees Planned Parenthood A Seat At The Table. Romney's legislation created an advisory board and guarantees, by law, that Planned Parenthood has a seat at the table. Romney's plan established a MassHealth payment policy advisory board, and one member of the Board must be from Planned Parenthood. No pro-life organization is represented. (Chapter 58 Section 3 (q) Section 16M (a), http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/seslaw06/sl060058.htm )
(2) Provides Taxpayer-Funded Abortions . Abortions are covered in the Commonwealth Care program that Romney created as Governor. Under the program, abortions are available for a copay of $50. (Menu of Health Care Services: http://www.mass.gov/Qhic/docs/cc_benefits1220_pt234.pdf )
- Romney used his line-item veto authority to strike eight sections of the bill that he found objectionable, including the expansion of dental benefits to Medicaid recipients. Yet, he did not strike Planned Parenthood's guaranteed Board representation and he did nothing to prohibit taxpayer-funded abortions as part of his plan. ("Romney's Health Care Vetoes," Associated Press, 4/12/06)
(3) Punitive Toward Small Businesses. Small Businesses are fined $295-per-employee if they do not provide health insurance coverage to employees. (Steve LeBlanc, "Mass Lawmakers Ok Mandatory Health Bill," Associated Press, 4/5/06)
(4) Punitive Toward Individuals. Individuals not obtaining health insurance coverage lose their personal state tax exemption in 2007, which will cost them an estimated $219 in higher taxes. In 2008, uncovered individuals are assessed a fine equal to 50-percent of the cost of a standard insurance policy, which could be as much as $2,000. (Michael Tanner, "No Miracle In Massachusetts," Cato Institute, 6/6/06; Steve LeBlanc, "Timing Of Health Care Law's Penalties Could Pose Risk For Romney, MA," Associated Press, 11/9/07; William C. Symonds, "In Massachusetts, Health Care for All?" Business Week, 4/4/06 )
LMAO!!! A Fred press release posing as news.
Worst thing that Mitt did here. He’ll pay for it now.
|I am sure the thousands of pre-born persons who will be murdered annually for a mere $50.00 would like to dispute your claim of this being "healthcare".
U.S. Army Retired
Now that’s funny.
What’s your sustantive criticism of Fred?
Hum, I can see why you support Mitt, but not why you are on Free Republic. Give Michael Moore's fat a$$ a hug for me will ya....
That's where you got 'em right there....
way to deflect the topic! Someone got caught planting a phony story. How Clintonian.
That fake leak stinks of Ed Rollins. He knew Thompson was a real threat to a very possible second place spot in Iowa. He also knows SC is coming up. Huckabee NEEDED to seal the deal in Iowa or his campaign would’ve been in shambles.
Slippery slope scare tactics . With comments like that , it's no wonder you support Liberal Flip Romney .
LMAO!!! A content-free post.
I don’t think Rollins was behind the Fred smear .
I do think Fred has a pretty good idea which campaign was behind it .
-—No one is going to refuse you at a hospital.-—
Until the hospital closes, because of bankruptsy.
-—People used to actually have savings accounts to pay for whatever else.-—
Until the charges cleaned them out.
This is a big issue that can’t be wished away. I have medical and dental care through where I work. It still cost an arm and a leg. :^) Many are not so fortunate, and it’s not just their misfortune. It’s ours. We pay higher premiums because so many are not covered. Then we pay higher taxes to pay for their care.
But, heh, maybe if we ignore it, it’ll go away!
The government is already doing lots about health care. If they stopped everything they were doing to control it, it would get much less expensive and the quality would improve, just like every product and service that operates in a free market environment. That's kind of hard for socialists to understand.
What's phony about the story?
Did Mitt use his line-item veto on the $50 abortion co-pay?
Did Mitt use his line-item veto on putting the Planned Parenthood representative on the board?
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.