Actually, back before smoking bans, we asthma patients were bothered by cigarette smoke in public places, sometimes very much. I had friends who would end up in an ambulance if they made the mistake of going to the wrong place. When I was young, I had many asthma attacks from cigarette smoke encountered in unexpected places.
The smoking bans do work for us. I remember going to Minnesota about 25 years ago, stepping off the plane, and being amazed and thrilled that there was no cigarette smoke in the airport--I could breathe and not gasp or wheeze!
But that absolutely does not mean that everyone should be inconvenienced because I had a problem. I am opposed to the smoke Nazis as much as any cigar afficionado is.
Finally, to some of the "she brought it on herself" posters on this thread:
Sometimes inhalers aren't powerful enough to fix a sudden, serious attack. Sometimes you lose or forget them. Sometimes they get clogged up and don't work.
Teenagers tend to think they're invincible, and when I was the age of this poor young lady I didn't even know it was possible to die of asthma. She may have taken the job because it worked with her school or childcare schedule. She must have thought she could handle it.
Some compassion, please, for a poor young girl who made a mistake! This forum is being taken over by the heartless.
That's OK. We welcome the support of elite cigar smokers as well as that of the lowly cigarette smoker.
Not heartless just strong believers in PR, personal responsibility, not PC.
I'm not heartless, I think I'm suffering from compassion fatigue. Seriously, the media had pushed this button far too often. It's worn out.
Besides Richard Moorehead, name one other person who has been killed by Second Hand Smoke. He is the only documented case to date.
Atlanta, Ga. July 13, 2007 In a joint press conference on Friday, the World Health Organization and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced that the premature death of a Montana man will be caused by exposure to Second Hand Smoke.
After extensive conversation with the SAMMEC computers and after long and grueling hours of torturing the data until it told us what we want to hear, we are finally prepared to definitively state that Richard Mooreheads death will be a direct result of his exposure to Second Hand Smoke. Said WHO Director-General Dr. Margaret Chan We can find no other logical reason for Mr. Moorehead's soon to be tragic demise other than his exposure to SHS.
The soon to be deceased Mr. Moorehead, 54, an unemployed HIV positive, type 2 diabetic, MS, ALS and kidney dialysis patient who is addicted to crystal meth and heroin, was shocked and visibly angry when told of his diagnosis and cause of death. Reached at his home in an exclusive gated trailer park community in Missoula, MT, Mr. Moorehead blamed his impending death on the careless brutes with cigarettes down at Jims Roadhouse Bar on Highway 263. Ive never smoked tobacco in my life. But that darn Jims Bar was always filled with that there smoke.
Second Hand Smoke, also known as environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) is a mixture of the smoke given off by the burning end of a cigarette, pipe or cigar and the smoke exhaled from the lungs of a smoker. It causes an estimated 450,000 deaths per day, according to health authorities, Al Gore and Dionne Warwicks Psychic Friends Network. Its also been known to cause AIDS, herpes, hemorrhoids, athletes foot and jock itch.
How can you make this statement having been less than two months?
I have been here a little longer and this place is no worse than it ever was.