Fair Tax ping!
it costs him $50 million...fair tax or no fair tax...*sigh*
an advocate of the fair tax, but still needs to get his information correct...
Listen, any time a liberal see the word “tax” they get a tingly feeling that runs up their leg.
Why don’t democrats like the fair tax, even though it does everything they say they support?
Simple answer for this guy - they are about control - they could care less whether they “tax the rich” or “redistribute to the poor”, it’s about them being in control of the distribution.
As this guy points out, the fair tax is anything BUT fair.
In its zeal to extract a pound of flesh from that dastardly “rich guy”, it screws savers, retirees, and anyone who prizes productivity and thrift over consumption. Those folks pay twice.
Of course, this explains why a class warfare populist nut like Huckabee likes it.
Professor Kotlikoff appears to be operating under the notion that Democrats actually want a tax system that operates fairly. That is the last thing they actually desire.
Democrats will oppose the Fair Tax for one simple reason... they can not use it to manipulate social policy, reward friends, or punish opponents as they can currently do with the Income Tax.
I am SURE liberals LOVE the ‘fair tax’ right down to the nice Orwellian name.
Watch the comments here from pro- fair tax people. We can’t even get them to drop the ‘tax inclusive’ scheme. (because it shows that a 23% ‘tax-inclusive’ rate is really more like 30% the way you normally consider sales tax)
Mr. Megabucks is going to buy his jet offshore and put it in an offshore holding company just like many people presently do to avoid the mere sales tax of some states. All very legal and nice and proper.
The author has no clue about real world business.
No, our economy needs a simple, transparent, EQUAL-RATE tax system. One that doesn't punish the earners and reward the deadbeats. Unfortunately, the fair tax as it's presented does not achieve this goal.
The mere fact that it is called the “Fair Tax” is reason enough for the Dems to oppose it. Call it the “Unfair Tax” and they will support it.
1 a: a story (as for children) involving fantastic forces and beings (as fairies, wizards, and goblins) called also fairy story b: a story in which improbable events lead to a happy ending2: a made-up story usually designed to mislead
The problem is not the tax system - it is the corpulent, corrupt government it feeds.
Changing the tax system is nothing more than a three-card Monte game unless you fix the underlying problem. Does anyone really think the government will take in less taxes with a different system?
1. believe that taxing the creation of wealth is better for the economy than taxing the wealth when it is spent.
2. believe that returning peoples tax payments to them is welfare.
3. have no problem with a tax code that is wordier than the Bible.
4. believe the IRS is a good department and does a good job.
5. believe that the worst thing you could do is tax the wealth of old geezers who are living off of the sweat of the younger workforce.
6. love to tell everyone you see that the FairTax was created by Scientologists.
7. believe that what Bruce Bartlett says is the gospel and that scores of other credentialed economists are only paid shills.
8. have a habit of going to online chat rooms and posting insults about the Fairy Taxers.
9. think that calculating a tax the same way as the tax it is replacing is dishonest.
10. think the economy has always been fine under the income tax.
11. call the FairTax a cult because you cant think of anything else to say.
12. believe that cutting one tax by 25% and raising another by the same amount is inflationary.
13. think inflation is caused by high taxes.
14. think Milton Friedman is an idiot.
15. have a soft spot in your heart for European style VATs.
16. wrote the ten planks to the Communist Manifesto.
17. think the prebate is Marxist but not the Communist Manifesto.
18. sell some sort of tax advantaged product.
19. claim you clamor for tax reform but have no earthly idea how to do that.
20. ...howl in outrage when the BATF violates the 2nd Amendment but have no concerns when the IRS violates the 1st, 4th and 5th Amendments.
21. ...believe that having the bottom 50% of income earners pay little or nothing to the government has the best chance of limiting that government.
23. ...think that people give to charity just because there is an income tax.
Taxes are also largely about control.
To most Dems (and a fair number of Pubbies) a tax structure with a higher revenue generation but low control is less desirable than one with a lower revenue generation, but more control.
That’s how I see it anyway.
“Thus, it’s remarkable that so many Democrats, with the exception of presidential candidate Mike Gravel, oppose the FairTax”
Not really. The FT significantly reduces the control of the masses to which the DhimmiRats incessantly aspire.
No...no surprise that they don’t support the FT.
And, the plane analogy seriously misspeaks the FT plan. This author needs to get the facts straight before spewing more incorrect information. We have enough of an uphill battle with the FT, without idiots like this adding to the burden.
Sitting on? Meaning he's already paid the US. Government around $35 million in income taxes leaving him with that amount to "sit on".
"Mr. Megabucks gets the jet, but the extra $15 million ... goes to Uncle Sam."
So now Mr. Megabucks sends another $15 million to the U.S. Government? Whew! This is "fair"?
Because Dems like tax cuts for the rich?
Mr. Megabucks would not buy the jet in the US. Thus killing the jobs/businesses of the people who build them.
And the Dom Perignon and caviar are business expenses.
Democrat = Marxist
Marxist tax system = income tax