Skip to comments.Media Hype on ‘Melting’ Antarctic Ignores Record Ice Growth
Posted on 03/27/2008 3:04:32 PM PDT by EPW Comm Team
Media Hype on Melting Antarctic Ignores Record Ice Growth
The media is once again hyping an allegedly dire consequence of man-made global warming. This time the media is promoting the ice loss of one tiny fraction of the giant ice-covered continent and completely ignoring the current record ice growth on Antarctica. Contrary to media hype, the vast majority of Antarctica has cooled over the past 50 years and ice coverage has grown to record levels since satellite monitoring began in the 1979, according to peer-reviewed studies and scientists who study the area. (LINK)
Former Weather Channel Meteorologist Joe DAleo rejected the hype surrounding the recent Wilkins Ice Shelf collapse in Western Antarctica. The shattered part of the Wilkins ice sheet was 160 square miles in area, which is just 0.01% of the total current Antarctic ice cover, like an icicle falling from a snow and ice covered roof, DAleo wrote on March 25. (LINK) We are very likely going to exceed last years record [for Southern Hemisphere ice extent]. Yet the world is left with the false impression Antarcticas ice sheet is also starting to disappear, DAleo added.
Climate scientist Ben Herman, past director of the Institute of Atmospheric Physics and former Head of the Department of Atmospheric Sciences at the University of Arizona, stated, It is interesting that all of the AGW (anthropogenic global warming) stories concerning Antarctica are always about what's happening around the [western] peninsula, which seems to be the only place on Antarctica that has shown warming. How about the net no change or cooling over the rest of the continent, which is probably about 95% of the land mass, not to mention the record sea ice coverage recently.
But the news media sadly tossed out objectivity and balance when it came to this new Antarctic story. Media headlines blared: Bye-bye, Antarctica? (Salon Magazine 3-26-08); Massive ice shelf collapsing off Antarctica (C/Net News 3- 26-08); Slab of Antarctic ice shelf collapses amid warming (Reuters 3-26-08); Ice shelf 'hangs by a thread' (Sydney Morning Herald 2-26-08).
True to form, Associated Press reporter Seth Borenstein could not allow himself to include any scientists or peer-reviewed studies countering alarm over the allegedly melting Antarctic. Borenstein instead hyped alarm by writing on March 27, Scientists said they are not concerned about a rise in sea level from the latest event, but say it's a sign of worsening global warming. [Note: Borenstein has a long history of incomplete reporting on global warming. See here and here. Also see related links section below for examples of the media's shoddy environmental reporting. In addition, ABC World News Sunday anchor Dan Harris this week produced a low brow smear segment on atmospheric physicist Dr. Fred Singer, a prominent dissenter of man-made climate fears. ABC News violated basic journalistic standards by citing "anonymous" scientists to attack Dr. Singer. See: here, here, here and here. ]
Yet, if only the media would spend a moment to get beyond the hype and alarmism, they would discover that scientists are already thoroughly debunking the media characterization of the melting Antarctic. [Note: 2007 and now 2008 are overwhelmingly turning into the tipping points for climate alarmism as new peer-reviewed studies continue to debunk rising CO2 fears, a U.S. Senate minority report reveals over 400 scientists dissented from man-made climate fears, and more and more scientists continue in 2008 to declare themselves skeptical of a man-made climate crisis. The Earths failure to continue warming has also confounded promoters of man-made climate fear. Here is a sampling of inconvenient developments for climate alarmists in 2008 alone: 1) Oceans Cooling! Scientists puzzled by mystery of global warming's missing heat- LINK 2) New Data from NASAs Aqua satellite is showing greatly reduced future warming projected as a consequence of carbon dioxide.- LINK 3) Former NASA Climatologist Dr. Roy Spencer found not one peer-reviewed paper has 'ruled out a natural cause for most of our recent warmth' LINK 4) UN IPCC in 'Panic Mode' as Earth Fails to Warm, Scientist says LINK 5) UN IPCC Chairman Rajendra Pachauri to look into the apparent temperature plateau so far this century.- LINK 6) New scientific analysis shows Sun could account for as much as 69% of the increase in Earth's average temperature LINK & LINK. 7) An International team of scientists released a March 2008 report to counter UN IPCC, declaring: Nature, Not Human Activity, Rules the Climate LINK 8) MIT Climate Scientist Dr. Richard Lindzens new analysis finds the Earth has had No statistically significant warming since 1995.- LINK ]
Below are a few samples of what scientists have said in the past few days since the Antarctic melting stories have hit the media:
1) Climate Scientist Dr. Ben Herman, past director of the Institute of Atmospheric Physics and former Head of the Department of Atmospheric Sciences at the University of Arizona, is a member of both the Institute for the Study of Planet Earths Executive Committee and the Committee on Global Change. Herman commented on March 25:
That ice [the media is hyping] is just a tiny fraction of the Antarctic ice and probably the increase each winter more than compensates. The ice loss does not show up, at least not yet on the Illinois site, http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere, which still shows increasing sea ice heading into [Southern Hemispheres] winter. It is interesting that all of the AGW (anthropogenic global warming) stories concerning Antarctica are always about what's happening around the (Western) peninsula, which seems to be the only place on Antarctica that has shown warming. How about the net no change or cooling over the rest of the continent, which is probably about 95% of the land mass, not to mention the record sea ice coverage recently, Herman wrote on March 25.
2) Meteorologist Joseph D'Aleo served as the first Director of Meteorology at The Weather Channel, was the Chief Meteorologist at Weather Services International Corporation and served as chairman of the American Meteorological Society's (AMS) Committee on Weather Analysis and Forecasting. DAleo commented on his website Icecap.us on March 25:
The shattered part of the Wilkins ice sheet was 160 square miles in area, which is just 0.01% of the total current Antarctic ice cover (just 0.003% of the extent last September), like an icicle falling from a snow and ice covered roof. And this winter is coming on quickly. The latest satellite images and reports suggest the ice has already refrozen around the broken pieces. In fact the ice is returning so fast, it is running an amazing 60% ahead (4.0 vs 2.5 million square km extent) of last year when it set a new record. The total ice extent is already approaching the second highest level for extent since the measurements began by satellite in 1979 and just a few days into the Southern Hemisphere fall season and 6 months ahead of the peak. We are very likely going to exceed last years record [for Southern Hemisphere ice extent]. Yet the world is left with the false impression Antarcticas ice sheet is also starting to disappear, DAleo wrote on march 25. (LINK)
Other scientists and peer-reviewed studies have recently debunked the notion of a melting Antarctic as well.
3) Former Virginia State Climatologist Dr. Patrick Michaels and Paul C. Knappenberger, a senior researcher with New Hope Environmental Services posted comments on Antarctica in February on their website WorldClimateReport.com. Michaels and Knappenberger wrote a February 27, 2008, article titled Antarctica Aint Cooperating: Another major article on temperature trends in the Antarctic has appeared in a recent issue of the Journal of Geophysical Research by a team of scientists from Ohio State University, the University of Illinois, and the Goddard Space Flight Center; the research was funded by the National Science Foundation Office of Polar Programs Glaciology Program. [ ] That is correct despite all you have heard elsewhere on the subject, the South Pole has been cooling over the past half century. The previous research team also reported that any warming in Antarctica has slowed and the cooling has accelerated in the more recent three decades. According to Monaghan et al., yet another team previously examined Antarctic temperatures and noted that prior to 1965 the continent-wide annual trends (through 2002) are slightly positive, but after 1965 they are mainly negative (despite warming over the Antarctic Peninsula). The truth from Antarctica is hard for the greenhouse crusade to accept, and in the long run, the truth from Antarctica might melt away the flimsy, well-publicized claims about global climate changeespecially the concerns of a rapid sea level rise.
4) In addition, the medias reporting on the alleged melting of Antarctica fails to take into account other factors. Volcano, Not Global Warming Effects, May be Melting an Antarctic Glacier read a headline in a January 21, 2008, article. The article read in part: Scientists have discovered a layer of volcanic ash and glass shards in Antarctica, evidence of an old eruption by a still active volcano that researchers believe may be contributing to the thinning of Antarctic glacial ice. Hugh F.J. Corr and David G. Vaughan, two scientists with the British Antarctic Survey, recently published their discovery of the volcanic layer in the journal Nature Geoscience. The discovery is unique, according to Dr. Vaughan. He said, This is the first time we have seen a volcano beneath the ice sheet punch a hole through the ice sheet. The volcanos heat could possibly be melting and thinning the ice and raising the speed of the Pine Island Glacier in West Antarctica. (Other links on Antarctic Volcanoes: Map of volcanoes in Antarctica; and NASA Image of Antarctic Peninsula and pacific ring of fire groups of volcanoes. )
5) Another inconvenient fact that the media likes to avoid is Antarctica ice extent GREW to record levels in 2007. A September 11, 2007, article on IceCap.US explained: While the news focus has been on the lowest ice extent since satellite monitoring began in 1979 for the Arctic, the Southern Hemisphere (Antarctica) has quietly set a new record for most ice extent since 1979. This can be seen on this graphic from this University of Illinois site, The Cryosphere Today, which updated snow and ice extent for both hemispheres daily. The Southern Hemispheric areal coverage is the highest in the satellite record, just beating out 1995, 2001, 2005 and 2006. Since 1979, the trend has been up for the total Antarctic ice extent. (LINK)
6) A January 12, 2008, peer-reviewed paper in AGU (American Geophysical Union) found A doubling in snow accumulation in the western Antarctic Peninsula since 1850. The abstract of the paper by Thomas, E. R., G. J. Marshall, and J. R. McConnell, states: We present results from a new medium depth (136 metres) ice core drilled in a high accumulation site (73.59°S, 70.36°W) on the south-western Antarctic Peninsula during 2007. The Gomez record reveals a doubling of accumulation since the 1850s, from a decadal average of 0.49 mweq y−1 in 18551864 to 1.10 mweq y−1 in 19972006, with acceleration in recent decades. Comparison with published accumulation records indicates that this rapid increase is the largest observed across the region. (LINK) & (LINK)
7) A February 2007 study reveals Antarctica is not following predicted global warming models. Excerpt: A new report on climate over the world's southernmost continent shows that temperatures during the late 20th century did not climb as had been predicted by many global climate models." The research was led by David Bromwich, professor of atmospheric sciences in the Department of Geography, and researcher with the Byrd Polar Research Center at Ohio State University. [See: Antarctic temperatures disagree with climate model predictions - (LINK) ]
8) Dr. Duncan Wingham, Professor of Climate Physics at University College London and Director of the Centre for Polar Observation and Modeling, has presented evidence that Antarctic ice is growing. According to a December 15, 2006, article in Canada's National Post, "Early last year at a European Union Space Conference in Brussels, for example, Dr. Wingham revealed that data from a European Space Agency satellite showed Antarctic thinning was no more common than thickening, and concluded that the spectacular collapse of the ice shelves on the Antarctic Peninsula was much more likely to have followed natural current fluctuations than global warming." "One cannot be certain, because packets of heat in the atmosphere do not come conveniently labeled 'the contribution of anthropogenic warming,' " Wingham said, noting that the evidence is not "favorable to the notion we are seeing the results of global warming." Wingham and his colleagues found that 72% of the ice sheet covering the entire land mass of Antarctica is growing at the rate of 5 millimeters per year. "That makes Antarctica a sink, not a source, of ocean water. According to their best estimates, Antarctica will lower global sea levels by 0.08 mm' per year" the National Post article reported. (LINK)
9) Statistician Dr. Bjorn Lomborg, author of The Skeptical Environmentalist and professor at the Copenhagen Business School, questioned former Vice President Al Gore's claims about Antarctica in a January 21, 2007, Wall Street Journal op-ed. "[Gore] considers Antarctica the canary in the mine, but again doesn't tell the full story. He presents pictures from the 2% of Antarctica that is dramatically warming and ignores the 98% that has largely cooled over the past 35 years. The U.N. panel estimates that Antarctica will actually increase its snow mass this century. Similarly, Mr. Gore points to shrinking sea ice in the Northern Hemisphere, but doesnt mention that sea ice in the Southern Hemisphere is increasing. Shouldn't we hear those facts?" Lomborg added. (LINK)
10) UN scientist Dr. Madhav L. Khandekar, a retired Environment Canada scientist and an expert IPCC reviewer, noted in 2007 that the Southern Hemisphere is COOLING. Dr. Khandekar wrote on August 6, 2007: "In the Southern Hemisphere, the land-area mean temperature has slowly but surely declined in the last few years. The city of Buenos Aires in Argentina received several centimeters of snowfall in early July, and the last time it snowed in Buenos Aires was in 1918! Most of Australia experienced one of its coldest months of June this year. Several other locations in the Southern Hemisphere have experienced lower temperatures in the last few years. Further, the sea surface temperatures over world oceans are slowly declining since mid-1998, according to a recent world-wide analysis of ocean surface temperatures. (LINK)
11) Ivy League Geologist Dr. Robert Giegengack, the chair of Department of Earth and Environmental Science at the University of Pennsylvania, explained that the Earth has been warming for about 20,000 years, and humans have only been collecting data for about 200 years. "For most of earth's history, the globe has been warmer than it has been for the last 200 years. It has only rarely been cooler," Giegengack said according to a February 2007 article. (LINK) Giegengack further explained that extremely long geologic timescales reveal that "only about 5% of that time has been characterized by conditions on Earth that were so cold that the poles could support masses of permanent ice."
Climate Skeptics Reveal Horror Stories of Scientific Suppression; NYC Climate Conference Further Debunks Consensus Claims
Senate Minority Report: Over 400 Prominent Scientists Disputed Man-Made Global Warming Claims in 2007
Senate Minority Report Debunks Polar Bear Extinction Fears
Breakdown Of Key Points Debunking Climate Fears
Earth's 'Fever' Breaks: Global COOLING Currently Under Way
Hypocrisy exposed: Comparison of Media's Coverage of a Warm Winter vs. Cold Winter
Analysis of how Hollywood Is Promoting Climate Fears to Kids
CBS News Seeks Hip Environmental Reporter, No Knowledge of Enviro Beat Necessary
CBS News reporter compares global warming skeptics to be the equivalent of Holocaust deniers
Newsweek's Climate Editorial Screed Violates Basic Standards of Journalism
Media Covering Up UN Global Warming Reports Political Agenda
Hot & Cold Media Spin: A Challenge To Journalists Who Cover Global Warming
ABCNEWS Climate Reporter: 'Scientists tell us civilization as we know it is over'
I dont like the word Balance- Says ABC News Global Warming Reporter
New York Times Op-Ed Heat Wave Hype Melts Under Scrutiny
BROKAWS OBJECTIVITY COMPROMISED IN GLOBAL WARMING SPECIAL
CNN Anchor Cited Fictional Hollywood Global Warming Movie, to Defend His Science Reporting
Newsweek Admits Error on 70's Predictions of Coming Ice Age;
Analysis of Costly "Solutions" to Global Warming
Over 100 Prominent Scientists Warn UN Against 'Futile' Climate Control Efforts
Skeptical Scientists Urge World To Have the Courage to Do Nothing' At UN Conference
NEW SENATE CAP-AND-TRADE BILL CALLED ALL ECONOMIC PAIN FOR NO CLIMATE GAIN'
Debunking The So-Called 'Consensus' On Global Warming
Scientists Counter AP Article Promoting Computer Model Climate Fears
New Peer-Reviewed Scientific Studies Chill Global Warming Fears
Newsweek's Climate Editorial Screed Violates Basic Standards of Journalism
Newsweek Editor Calls Mag's Global Warming 'Deniers' Article 'Highly Contrived'
Latest Scientific Studies Refute Fears of Greenland Melt
EPA to Probe E-mail Threatening to Destroy' Career of Climate Skeptic
# # #
thanks fro bringing this up I have been telling as many people as possible about this and they either shrug their shoulders or say hey I never knew that
Infact My oldest son came home from school and he had a paper about climate change, I confronted the teacher and told her about the law suit which happened back in England and that there are scientists which have a differing view
she was nice and told me that she agreed but it’s not up to her what she can teach the kids but has to go with what the school board says
she did however say she would never tell kids it’s alright to be gay etc and she would risk losing her job over it
An Update has been added to web version of the the report:
Former Colorado State Climatologist Dr. Roger Pielke, Sr., presently senior scientist at the University of Colorado in Boulder, chastised the medias Antarctic reporting as typical of the bias that many journalists have. Pielke wrote on March 25, The media has ignored in their reporting the increase in Antarctic sea ice cover in recent years, with, at present, a coverage that is well one million square kilometers above average. Pielke added, Unfortunately, it appears that most journalists just parrot the perspective of the first news release on these climate issues, without doing any further investigation. If this is inadvertent, they need to be educated in climate science. If deliberate bias, they are clearly advocates and the reporters should be clearly and publically identified as having such a bias. In either case, the public is being misinformed! (LINK)
On the radio yesterday I heard a spokesman for the weather watchdog group that reported this event and he said the last time this much of this ice shelf broke off was 1500 years ago, (a split second in time as measured with the age of the Earth). So that says 1500 years ago the same conditions existed to cause it. Things that make you say Hmmmmmmmmm.
Yeah, it was those darned Mongols and Vandals and Huns, trashing the steppes in their SUVs!
They are just telling stories. Might as well call them novels although they are marketed as news.
... and of course the many many coal-burning electric generating plants, steel factorys, and so on.
It is late summer in the Antarctic
Actually, the total sea ice area including the northern and southern hemispheres could easily exceed the record sea ice extent soon.
The southern hemisphere ice area is 1.5 million sq. kms above average right now which seems to be increasing every day and the northern hemisphere is only 0.5 million sq. kms below normal but seems to be inching its way up all the time.
The total ice extent is not far off the numbers mid-way through 1979 when the satellite measurements began which would also be considered a very cold period in recent history. Let’s watch and see if a new record is set soon and whether that gets reported in the media.
On Kook to Kook today there was talk about the ice in Antarctica, and how we were all going to die... Oh well.
The way things are going with the Dims, I suspect that AlBore
the Goreon, and the preacher's boy may very well be the next POTUS and VP.
Thank God, I do not have to worry much one way or the other.
I politely announced (a bit to his chagrin) that he was full of cr*p and that his buddies should check out the news for themselves. After a 5 minute tutorial debunking the basics of AGW & the general reliability of CNN I was on my merry way.
Fortunately, he wasn't the one preparing my food.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.