Skip to comments.5 Myths About the Vice Presidency
Posted on 06/02/2008 4:48:34 PM PDT by shrinkermd
1. A vice presidential candidate should win his or her home state for the party.
It probably hasn't made much difference to the outcome since 1960, when Lyndon B. Johnson helped put Texas in John F. Kennedy's column
2. Ideological and regional balance are vital to a ticket.
This assumption, too, was once valid but no longer holds. In the 19th century, the heyday of political machines, voters felt a strong allegiance to one party or the other, and a race's outcome was determined by how well the
3. Reaching across the aisle to form a bipartisan ticket would be smart politics.
Well, maybe, but it's not going to happen. Every four years, we hear titillating talk that one of the nominees will make a paradigm-shifting move by choosing an understudy from the opposite party.
4. Candidates should think "outside the box."
For candidates, as for housecats, the box is there for a reason.
5. All of this is beside the point: The choice of a running mate doesn't matter.
Ever since Nixon held the office under Dwight Eisenhower, the office has been growing in power, reaching unprecedented influence under Dick Cheney
(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonpost.com ...
Partly why things have changed so much in how a VP is chosen, including the Constitutional change as well as political party changes.
Nothing beats VP Cheney during a SOTU:
Most importantly, at some point in a future campaign, VPs are frontrunners. VPs have a better than average shot at being POTUS some day.
Is the post saying McCain needs hillary for the NE area?
6. McCain will choose a conservative running mate.
Well, I dunno, but if McCain does choose Hillary for a Veep, Dick Cheney is gonna end up looking like a pussycat. “Hilly For Veep - When She Shoots Somebody, He Stays Down!”
Is she the one he shot in the face ?
LOL! Gosh I’m gonna miss Big Time.
Greenberg forgot to say:
1) that VP’s sometimes become P’s;
2) If a moderate, like McCain, picks a conservative VP, it tells conservatives that he MIGHT be reaching out to conservatives and might pick originalist judges. If he doesn’t pick a conservative, I, and many other conservatives won’t vote for him.
American Vice Presidents are drones UNLESS that drone is a murderous sociopath.. The Queen of the Hive.. the main bee in the phalanx of worker bees..
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.