Skip to comments.To Swift-Boat or Not
Posted on 06/13/2008 10:02:28 AM PDT by nikos1121
John McCain and Barack Obama are about to face a moral choice. It will probably be made in bits and pieces over the next five months, but we can imagine it as a single dramatic incident: the adviser approaches and says, "Yes or no. Do you want to swift-boat?" If you were the presidential candidate, what answer would you give?
Swift-boat is shorthand for the brilliant, despicable Republican campaign strategy in 2004 that turned John Kerry's honorable service in Vietnam into a negative factor in his campaign. The phrase has become more broadly the term for a particular category of campaign tactics and has even become a verb. To "swift-boat" somebody is to use these tactics against him or her. If you remember the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth campaign and don't see anything wrong with it--or if you believe it was the work of "independent" operatives unconnected to George W. Bush's campaign--I'm not going to waste precious space on the back page of a national newsmagazine arguing with you.
(Excerpt) Read more at time.com ...
This idiot has the definition of Swiftboating and McCarthyism backwards. The Verona files proved that he was right. The Swiftboaters brought the world's attention to the truth about John Kerry. These were not idol unsubstantiated rumors.
If they were untrue, then why doesn't Kerry produce her service file?
Kinsley’s definition of “swiftboating” is actually “when a conservative digs up and tells the truth about a liberal because the media won’t do it.”
I didn't serve in Vietnam, but was in the post-Vietnam Army. I was personally offended and outraged to learn not only had the Dims nominated for President they guy whose Congressional testimony got me labeled a baby killer, but the POS actually was running for President on his Vietnam service. Before I'd ever heard of the Swiftees I couldn't wait to vote against that SOB.
Wow. This is brilliant
This far left liberal just swift boated “swift boating”.......
Truth, Honesty, Integrity.
Do people like Kinsley have dictionaries with these words removed, because they sure do not seem to know them.........
Swiftboating: to deflate a politicans self-created narrative using facts and history. Syn: to debunk.
The more Swiftboating the better, on both sides.
I disagree with this statement on several levels. I only agree that this happened in 2004.
Oh Yeah! LET THE SWIFT-BOATING BEGIN! Finding truth is what elections should be about!
I think the birth certificate of Obama may turn out to be a Swiftboat issue, assuming that we find that the contents of the one he’s producing is fraudulent. If the certificate is true then the matter is dropped, but like Kerry, there is a very slow release of paper on the subject.
How can the liberals talk about Kerry's "honorable service" when Kerry testified that being an American soldier in Vietnam meant acting like Jenjiss Khan or whoever, cutting off ears and the rest of it? I guess serving in an "immoral war" is honorable, as long as you're a Democrat.
As for Kinsley, I say the little dweeb should stay off the amyl nitrate.
Swift boating aside, what Kinsley needs is a good swift kick in the ass!
|Swift-boat is shorthand for the brilliant, despicable Republican campaign strategy in 2004 that turned John Kerry's honorable service in Vietnam into a negative factor in his campaign.
Yum! I love the taste of sour grapes.
....OF TELLING THE TRUTH....
There are websites questioning McCain’s military service and his behavior while at the Hanoi Hilton. These haven’t got much attention from the mainstream media yet, but as the campaign heats up they will become more prominent.
If michael kinsley and the MSM hates swift boating, then I’m all for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1. I do not believe anyone has ever proven any significant charge made by the Swift Boat Captains was false or that their account of events was false.
2. Those who have attacked or dismissed the Swift Boat Captains charges have pointed to other accounts that
they believe to be more credible; accounts which disagree with some of the key accusations but in no way refute or present evidence that on its face is any more believable or credible than the Swift Boat captains accounts.
3. The Swift Boat captains present good reasons why those other accounts are at the least suspect and that the primary source for those other accounts in many cases was John Kerry himself (or likely John Kerry or of unknown origin)
4. With the exception of John Kerry's crew mates all of the witnesses disagree with John Kerry's accounts. Those officers who would most likely know the facts both about specific indicdents and Kerry's general reputation and behavior as a captain with one exception are critical of Kerry.
5. John Kerry has refused to release documents which prove the Swift Boat Captains wrong on some of their key accusations.
6. John Kerry's behavior when he returned to the US tends to support the general assessment that the Swift Boat Captains made of him
7. It is categorically false, and without any basis in fact or evidence to say that the Swift Boat captains account was shown to be false, has been dis-proven or that the balance of the evidence is against them.
8. To use Swift-Boating as a synonym for politically motivated false attacks is at its base dishonest, begs the question and is an attempt to rewrite history hoping that the listener was fooled the first time around by the medias attempt to defend their candidate John Kerry.
You see to liberals and progressives it is an ‘honorable’ endeavor to undermine the United States of America.
Seems they tire easily of liberty and freedom for ALL...