Skip to comments.Obama denies protection for infants of botched abortions [Jill Stanek rebuts Obama obfuscations]
Posted on 07/07/2008 11:11:40 AM PDT by rhema
A pro-life activist in Illinois says Barack Obama has repeatedly mischaracterized his opposition to the Illinois Born Alive Infants Protection Act while he was a state senator.
The Federal Born Alive Infants Protection Act was signed into law in 2002 after receiving unanimous support from the U.S. Senate. The measure that forces hospitals to give medical care to abortion survivors -- if warranted -- even received the backing of liberal senators Ted Kennedy (D-Massachusetts ), Barbara Boxer (D-California), and Hillary Clinton (D-New York).
Obama now says he did not support the Illinois measure because it "lacked the Federal language clarifying the act would not be used to undermine Roe vs. Wade."
Pro-life blogger Jill Stanek recently wrote a column for WorldNetDaily.com titled "Obama's biggest lie about supporting infanticide." She points out Obama actively opposed the Born Alive Infants Protection Act for three years in the Illinois senate.
"He voted against it. He was the sole senator speaking against it on the [Illinois] senate floor [for] two years. And the third year, he held the bill from being considered altogether in committee and killed the bill," Stanek contends.
She says Obama's explanation for opposing the Illinois bill does not pass the straight-face test because, as a committee chairman, he blocked the measure's sponsor from adding the federal language protecting Roe vs. Wade. That federal provision says the bill does not deny or add rights to the species Homo sapiens before birth.
Stanek fought to stop "live-birth abortion" after holding a live aborted baby at a Chicago-area hospital where she worked as a registered nurse.
"Barack Obama is now saying that, had that provision been in the Illinois bill he would have voted for it, which is absolutely false because in 2003, the senate sponsor tried to add that provision and Barack Obama, as the chairman of the committee where the bill was being held, disallowed him from adding that provision, disallowed me from testifying, disallowed the committee from even voting on it. So, it sat in committee for 22 months," Stanek explains.
She reveals it was not until Obama left the Illinois Senate that the Illinois Born Alive Infants Protection Act passed in August of 2005.
From OnTheIssues.org: Obama on Abortion
* Ok for state to restrict late-term partial birth abortion. (Apr 2008)
* We can find common ground between pro-choice and pro-life. (Apr 2008)
* Undecided on whether life begins at conception. (Apr 2008)
* Teach teens about abstinence and also about contraception. (Apr 2008)
* GovWatch: Obama's "present" votes were a requested strategy. (Feb 2008)
* Expand access to contraception; reduce unintended pregnancy. (Feb 2008)
* Rated 100% by NARAL on pro-choice votes in 2005, 2006 & 2007. (Jan 2008)
* Voted against banning partial birth abortion. (Oct 2007)
* Stem cells hold promise to cure 70 major diseases. (Aug 2007)
* Trust women to make own decisions on partial-birth abortion. (Apr 2007)
* Extend presumption of good faith to abortion protesters. (Oct 2006)
* Constitution is a living document; no strict constructionism. (Oct 2006)
* Moral accusations from pro-lifers are counterproductive. (Oct 2004)
* Pass the Stem Cell Research Bill. (Jun 2004)
* Protect a woman's right to choose. (May 2004)
* Supports Roe v. Wade. (Jul 1998)
* Voted NO on defining unborn child as eligible for SCHIP. (Mar 2008)
* Voted NO on prohibiting minors crossing state lines for abortion. (Mar 2008)
* Voted YES on expanding research to more embryonic stem cell lines. (Apr 2007)
* Voted NO on notifying parents of minors who get out-of-state abortions. (Jul 2006)
* Voted YES on $100M to reduce teen pregnancy by education & contraceptives. (Mar 2005)
* Sponsored bill providing contraceptives for low-income women. (May 2006)
* Rated 0% by the NRLC, indicating a pro-choice stance. (Dec 2006)
* Ensure access to and funding for contraception. (Feb 2007)
From OnTheIssues.org: John McCain on Abortion:
* Pro-life and an advocate for the Rights of Man everywhere. (Feb 2008)
* GovWatch: 1999: Don't force women to have illegal operations. (Feb 2008)
* Abortion issue shows what kind of country we are. (Aug 2007)
* Concerned if women undergo illegal dangerous operations. (May 2007)
* Supports federal funding of embryonic stem cell research. (May 2007)
* Prosecute abortion doctors, not women who get them. (Jan 2000)
* Family Conference if daughter wanted an abortion. (Jan 2000)
* Abortion OK if raped; and no testing for rape. (Jan 2000)
* Supports fetal tissue research; against over-intensity. (Jan 2000)
* Overturn Roe v. Wade, but keep incest & rape exceptions. (Jan 2000)
* Support adoption & foster care; work together on abortion. (Oct 1999)
* Wants Roe vs. Wade made irrelevant, but would not repeal it. (Aug 1999)
* Opposes partial-birth abortions & public financing. (Aug 1999)
* Nominate justices based on experience, and values. (Jun 1999)
* Restrict abortions; no partial-birth; no public funding. (Jul 1998)
* Supports repealing Roe v. Wade. (May 2007)
* Voted YES on defining unborn child as eligible for SCHIP. (Mar 2008)
* Voted YES on barring HHS grants to organizations that perform abortions. (Oct 2007)
* Voted YES on expanding research to more embryonic stem cell lines. (Apr 2007)
* Voted YES on notifying parents of minors who get out-of-state abortions. (Jul 2006)
* Voted NO on $100M to reduce teen pregnancy by education & contraceptives. (Mar 2005)
* Voted YES on criminal penalty for harming unborn fetus during other crime. (Mar 2004)
* Voted YES on banning partial birth abortions except for maternal life. (Mar 2003)
* Voted YES on maintaining ban on Military Base Abortions. (Jun 2000)
* Voted YES on banning partial birth abortions. (Oct 1999)
* Voted YES on banning human cloning. (Feb 1998)
* Rated 0% by NARAL, indicating a pro-life voting record. (Dec 2003)
* Expand embryonic stem cell research. (Jun 2004)
* Rated 75% by the NRLC, indicating a mixed record on abortion. (Dec 2006)
CAn someone please tell me how you kill an infant who survived an abortion? Do the doctors do it? The nurse? Do they dump the baby in the garbage not recognizing that it’s still alive? Do they with hold food and water and oxygen and warmth? I’m serious on this....I want to know.
ETL, thanks for posting. Will dig for his words in the Illinois floor I had, will post.
Obama is such a liar on this. But the MainStreamMedia loves lies -—especially on this subject.
Here you go:
Links to Barack Obama’s votes on Illinois Born Alive Protection Act
-Includes transcripts and bill links
All of the above. Living babies have been left to starve and dehydrate to death in a back room of the hospital. Alternatively, they have been dumped head first into a bucket of water. Sometimes the doctor will suffocate the baby. This is done in American hospitals.
Obama is an extremist on this issue. He’d better be, or Mean Michelle, an officer of Planned Parenthood, will clobber him.
The baby is allowed to die from medical neglect. The doctor is then required to submit both Birth and Death Certificates.
Senator Barack Killthebabies Obama.
And “pro choice” people will defend
KILLING BORN BABIES, ie INFANTICIDE
in order to protect their ability to have the “right” to consequence-free sexual behavior.
You can easily get most feminists to admit that they feel that abortion is the great “equalizer” since women are the ones that get pregnant.
FYI, Nat Hentoff (now retired from the Village Voice), is a friend of mine; We agree few issues, but we agree on pro-life issues.
Infanticide Candidate for President
Obama is beneath contempt and unfit to hold any public office.
Here is a link to a thread on Jill Stanek’s editorial.
He is immersed in the Mansonesque Muslim cult.
He campaigned for his first cousin Odinga who signed the memo of agreement vis-a-vis instituting Shariah law in Kenya.
Islamobama began his career in the living room of Bernie Dohrn who praised the Manson family.
Thus family values to Obama are Manson family values.
They put it in a room and leave it to die. I have read heartbreaking stories of nurses who went into a closet and held the baby till it died - just to give it some comfort.
The nurses did not want to lose their jobs by openly objecting to the practice.
We would say, walk out and find another place to work, God is watching!!!
Yes, I am well aware of that.
Was he simply BAMBOOZLING THE PEOPLE OF THESE UNITED STATES?
Barack Obama is qualified to do voiceovers for ketchup, laundry detergents, pet food. He's NOT qualified to be POTUS. He's devious under all that fluff.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.