Skip to comments.5 Things in 100 days McCain could do to win...
Posted on 07/28/2008 10:04:35 PM PDT by 2ndDivisionVet
1. Insist extension of the federal tax cuts, expose Obama's plan and the damage that undoing the cuts would have on families making between $40-$100,000 a year...
2. Strongly back the Arizona, Florida, and California marriage amendments - not on religious grounds, but on democratic grounds, "the people shall be self-determined." (Also putting all three states closer to the individual win column. But he needs media on it and the commercial has to point out Obama was for man/woman marriage before he was against it...
3. 50,000 troops at the southern border... (NEW JOBS)
4. A window of time, and a limited number of "forgivenesses" to the first 200,000 illegals to apply for worker ID cards. (All applicants beyond that subject to current immigration law - including deportation. Thus it puts the honus on the illegal to come forward and to COMPETE for a spot to stay.)
5. Expose Obama's flip-floppery on the National Security issue...
These issues should be the core of the McCain campaign and if he would only rally the "'roots" on them - he would win... perhaps big.
I'm not personally all that much in favor of number 4. But I think some of the wrong can be overcome by limiting it to roughly the set number of people that legally migrate to the nation per year, AND by making it a free market - competition, self-responsibility issue, AND a law enforcement assistance issue all three in one.
It seems the economy has re-asserted itself as THE issue.
McCain can simply come across as very down-to-earth on this issue. He can show up Obama's double-talk by simply expressing what he actually thinks. Obama will have to maneuver to get across his position, which is "I want welfare for The Poor while The Rich (i.e. anyone with the utter gall to have a job) will have to pay Their Fair Share.
Their Fair Share = whatever my voters need to pay their bills without going to work.
All nice, but if McCain wants to win in Nov. the top 5 things should be:
Remember, it’s the economy stupid. Even if your pocket book isn’t hurt too much by high gas and heating oil prices, many, many other voter’s pocketbooks are.
If the Pubs want to win they should talk about nothing but increasing energy supplies to bring down prices. 100s of new nuclear power plants, drill anywhere, new refineries, energy independence, etc.
What makes this issue a sure bet winner for the Pubs is that the Rats will always and forcefully come down on the wrong side of this issue. Just listen to Pelosi with her, “let them eat cake!” The Rats will hang themselves.
If the U.S. charges too high a "rent" on businesses (in the form of taxes), they will go elsewhere. If the U.S. reduces the "rents", businesses from elsewhere will move back here.
BTW, I also wish someone would point out that Democrats generally favor raising the taxes that they themselves hardly have to pay. The taxes don't hurt the super-rich because they have enough excess liquidity to avoid them. The taxes instead hurt those who are trying to work their way up, since they need to keep more of their money liquid.
Amen: DRILL HERE and DRILL NOW, DRILL ALL THE TIME and BUILD NEW REFINERY which means new jobs!!! JOBS, JOBS, JOBS!
He could quit and give his delegates to Duncan Hunter.
B4DH on that one.
ENERGY! I saw him in front of oil wells today, good step. He should talk about domestic energy production nonstop. and talk about it from both an economic and national security standpoint. TAXES AND THE ECONOMY - Start telling us how you’re going to get us out of this rut. Be positive. COMPREHENSIVE GOVERNMENT REFORM - propose the biggest overhaul in the federal apparatus in a generation - a massive zero based budget review of the whole damn thing. Make it his signature, landmark challenge. To streamline it, eliminate waste, and give us a working federal government that is responsive to the People.
Strongly back the Arizona, Florida, and California marriage amendments - not on religious grounds, but on democratic grounds, “the people shall be self-determined.”
I always suspect conservatives who support propositions on democratic grounds. America is Not a democracy. If it was, Gore would be president. Most Americans favor abortion. Do you want a democratic vote on that issue?
There are a ton of issues where conservaties lose if they are settled on democratic grounds.
This would position a Conservative for 2012 or 2016.
Pick a liberal like Rudy or Bloomberg and he is toast.
It is that simple.
7. No more bailouts
1 and 2 are fine. Modify 3, Drop 4 and 5.
1. Keep Bush tax cuts. Sincerely state he will extend them more.
2. Back state marriage amendments for reason you list.
3. Strongly push for building the wall, AND put 50,000 troops on the border. Drug runners and mexican military that cross over will be good target practice.
4. Relentlessly pound Democrats on their “We Must Do With Less” non-energy policy.
5. Declare ‘global warming’ as the massive international junk science hoax it is. reference 1970s ‘ice age’ doom and gloom predictions.
6. Promise not to have the federal govt keep bailing out people and businesses that make bad personal/business finance decisions. The fed govt is not everyone’s insurance.
7. Declare the SPP/North American Union and the proposed North American Union superhighway concepts dead. Re-affirm the USA as a sovereign nation that will never merge or integrate with Mexico or Canada.
8. Clearly and simply declare that Obama is a SOCIALIST. Use the term, it is accurate.
9. Explain that he would like to debate Obama, but since Obama’s already taken both sides of every major issue...
This would really help people (like me) to start to feel better about having to vote FOR him rather than AGAINST Obama.
Is McCain even running for president? The way I see things he is trying to be first loser just like most Republican politicians. He needs to get some balls.
Duncan Hunter makes Bob Dole look energized. There is a reason he got only slightly more votes than I did in the Presidential primaries.
And a 6th thing McCain could do to win in November:
Call B. Hussein Obama out on:
A. Affirmative Action: Will Obama “repeal” AA? (How can they still blame “the man” when they ARE “the man”?)
B. Reparations for descendants of slavery: (Make him take a stand and alleviate his base or any Blue Collar Democrat who thought about voting for him.)
Well said - I couldn’t agree with you more. THIS issue alone could win not only McCain, but many other republican senate/congressional candidates, the election in November (which we REALLY need to see happen).
so, so true!!! and so simple, but many, if not most, people just don’t get it. they bitch about the big bad corporations, want to penalize and tax them further, then gripe about jobs being outsourced and corporations relocating overseas.
Duh. The U.S. already has the second highest corporate tax rate in the world!!! Lower that, and give them more incentives to keeping (or bringing back) jobs here in the US. Money talks.