Skip to comments.Metro State in Denver closing so Teacher's Can Volunteer at Convention!
Posted on 08/22/2008 12:02:17 PM PDT by Hildy
My friend just called me to tell me how outraged she is that her daughter's school, Metropolitan State College of Denver, a PUBLIC institution, is shutting down for two weeks so the Teachers can volunteer at the Convention. Does this sound right to you guys? She said her daughter wants to know if she gets two weeks tuition back.
What if an organization suspended activity for a week to support the RNC in Minnesota?
CNN and all the other losers would be reporting it like it's a bad thing to do.
A portion of the campus is within the security perimeter, and many of the roads into the campus are closed because they abut the Pepsi Center. They did not close so that the faculty can volunteer, though I’m sure many will take advantage of the time off to do so.
I guess it’s better than a rap on the knuckles with a ruler!
All the socialists leave school and there’s no one left to teach.....are you finally getting it?
RESOLUTIONIt's closed due to Security, not for the teachers to volunteer.
- WHEREAS, the State of Colorado, by and through the Board of Directors of the Auraria Higher Education Center (the Auraria Board), owns and manages the land, physical plant and facilities of the Center (the Auraria Campus) for the exclusive use and benefit of its constituent institutionsthe Community College of Denver, Metropolitan State College of Denver and the University of Colorado Denver Downtown Campus; and,
- WHEREAS, the Democratic National Convention (DNC) will take place in Denver, Colorado during the period of August 25-28, 2008, with DNC activities planned at the Pepsi Center and the Colorado Convention Center, adjacent to the Auraria Campus; and,
- WHEREAS, during the DNC, a portion of the Auraria Campus will be within the DNC security perimeter or zone and access to the campus will be limited; and,
- WHEREAS, commitments have been made to the DNC Committee for the use of certain Auraria Campus facilities during the DNC for vehicle parking and security related activities; and,
- WHEREAS, the Auraria Board does not have sufficient employees or other resources to adequately manage and safeguard the Auraria Campus during the DNC, beyond what will be required to meet its commitments to the DNC Committee and the other needs of the campus; and,
- WHEREAS, the constituent institutions have cancelled all classes and other academic and extracurricular activities on the Auraria Campus during the period of August 23-29, 2008; and,
- WHEREAS, the Auraria Board has the duty to operate, maintain and manage the Auraria Campus and the power to promulgate rules and regulations for the safety of students, employees and property located on the Auraria Campus.
- NOW, THEREFORE, it is resolved by the Auraria Board that the Auraria Campus shall be closed to all activities and uses during the period of August 25-29, 2008, except for those activities and uses to which it has committed to the DNC Committee and for campus construction activities. No other activities, events, exhibits or demonstrations shall be permitted on the Auraria Campus during the period of August 25-29, 2008; and
- It is further resolved that only essential AHEC personnel, essential institutional personnel, authorized DNC personnel, authorized construction workers, and authorized security service personnel shall be permitted access to Auraria Campus buildings and facilities during the period of August 25-29, 2008.
Nonsense like this makes FR look like DU
No I was wrong. It’s = It is. Its = possession
You paid them to do it!
They will need to find a law firm, get at least 5 students, preferably more, preferably a mix of full time part time commuter and resident, to sign on, then file paperwork for starting a class action lawsuit in Federal Court, downtown Denver.
Might want to contact:
FIRE, Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) www.thefire.org
Citizens against Government Waste
This has nothing to do with lefty-leaning college profs.
Not as romantic, but another reason for them to shut down is that they are right in the middle of downtown and reasonably close to the convention site
It is doubtful the students could get there easily for classes as commuting to that area will be a nightmare. But that doesnt sound as good as closing down so they can volunteer to help the dims.””
Unless this college was established in the last 12 months or so, one would think that the movers and shakers in Denver knew of it’s proximity to the convention site.
Leaving this notification to the students until the last minute is the height of stupid.
If this is an indication of the planning for the convention, there will be a real surge of popcorn sales.
oK.I should have known...a huge problem for mankind: CONTEMPT PRIOR TO INVESTIGATION!!! And I stand corrected.
You might want to contact a Lawyer to see if this is legal and what recourse you might have against the school. Seams to me that you are being put in a situation that supports the DNC with your tuition money. Also, check to see if the “volunteers are being paid their salary during the two weeks. Amen.