I would raise some serious cain with the college’s president and trustees over this...
Participating in the Dem convention the first week, then protesting at the Republican convention the second.
College closed August 23-29, 2008 due to Democratic National Convention. Classes resume Sat. August 30, 2008.
Do they get Federal funds?????
Metro State is closed this Saturday until next Saturday. It’s campus is right across the street from the Pepsi Center, where the convention is being held. Also, it is a commuter school, so traffic is an issue. Also, I wonder if their parking lots are being used by folks attending, covering the convention.
My bet is that the logistics of staying open was the problem.
I just sent them an email asking if my niece will get that week’s tuition back, since she’s at the campus for classes but her instructors are off volunteering. Will post reply if I get one.
Not as romantic, but another reason for them to shut down is that they are right in the middle of downtown and reasonably close to the convention site
It is doubtful the students could get there easily for classes as commuting to that area will be a nightmare. But that doesn’t sound as good as closing down so they can volunteer to help the dims.
Metro State’s online course, Behind the Scenes at the DNC, will provide comprehensive “insider’ views” of the convention and the 2008 presidential race. Enrollment is free and open to all. Only currently enrolled Metro State students who want to take the course for one or more hours of academic credit will be charged tuition. The course runs Aug. 11 – Sept. 22.
Everyone enrolled in the course will have an opportunity to contribute papers and videos, and learners will be able to interact with convention participants through live interviews.
Metro State students who want to earn credit should follow the normal procedures for fall semester registration.
If you wish to take the course for free and for no credit, please go to www.DNCeduOnline.org.
So teacher's what can volunteer?
Sorry...pet peeve. Carry on! :)
Make sure your local politicians (the Dems may ignore you) and the local News know.
What if an organization suspended activity for a week to support the RNC in Minnesota?
CNN and all the other losers would be reporting it like it's a bad thing to do.
All the socialists leave school and there’s no one left to teach.....are you finally getting it?
RESOLUTIONIt's closed due to Security, not for the teachers to volunteer.
- WHEREAS, the State of Colorado, by and through the Board of Directors of the Auraria Higher Education Center (the Auraria Board), owns and manages the land, physical plant and facilities of the Center (the Auraria Campus) for the exclusive use and benefit of its constituent institutionsthe Community College of Denver, Metropolitan State College of Denver and the University of Colorado Denver Downtown Campus; and,
- WHEREAS, the Democratic National Convention (DNC) will take place in Denver, Colorado during the period of August 25-28, 2008, with DNC activities planned at the Pepsi Center and the Colorado Convention Center, adjacent to the Auraria Campus; and,
- WHEREAS, during the DNC, a portion of the Auraria Campus will be within the DNC security perimeter or zone and access to the campus will be limited; and,
- WHEREAS, commitments have been made to the DNC Committee for the use of certain Auraria Campus facilities during the DNC for vehicle parking and security related activities; and,
- WHEREAS, the Auraria Board does not have sufficient employees or other resources to adequately manage and safeguard the Auraria Campus during the DNC, beyond what will be required to meet its commitments to the DNC Committee and the other needs of the campus; and,
- WHEREAS, the constituent institutions have cancelled all classes and other academic and extracurricular activities on the Auraria Campus during the period of August 23-29, 2008; and,
- WHEREAS, the Auraria Board has the duty to operate, maintain and manage the Auraria Campus and the power to promulgate rules and regulations for the safety of students, employees and property located on the Auraria Campus.
- NOW, THEREFORE, it is resolved by the Auraria Board that the Auraria Campus shall be closed to all activities and uses during the period of August 25-29, 2008, except for those activities and uses to which it has committed to the DNC Committee and for campus construction activities. No other activities, events, exhibits or demonstrations shall be permitted on the Auraria Campus during the period of August 25-29, 2008; and
- It is further resolved that only essential AHEC personnel, essential institutional personnel, authorized DNC personnel, authorized construction workers, and authorized security service personnel shall be permitted access to Auraria Campus buildings and facilities during the period of August 25-29, 2008.
Nonsense like this makes FR look like DU
You paid them to do it!
They will need to find a law firm, get at least 5 students, preferably more, preferably a mix of full time part time commuter and resident, to sign on, then file paperwork for starting a class action lawsuit in Federal Court, downtown Denver.
Might want to contact:
FIRE, Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) www.thefire.org
Citizens against Government Waste
This has nothing to do with lefty-leaning college profs.
You might want to contact a Lawyer to see if this is legal and what recourse you might have against the school. Seams to me that you are being put in a situation that supports the DNC with your tuition money. Also, check to see if the “volunteers are being paid their salary during the two weeks. Amen.