As we approach this monumental election, our choices are as clear as the Scriptures themselves: "I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. Choose life, then, that you and your descendants may live." (Deut 30:19)
Pope Benedict XVI similarly guides us in the proper ordering of our values as he teaches, "The fundamental human right, the presupposition of every other right, is the right to life itself. This is true of life from the moment of conception until its natural end. Abortion, consequently, cannot be a human right - it is the very opposite. It is 'a deep wound in society.'"
Together with the other Bishops of Missouri I am calling on all the faithful to make this last week before the election a week of prayer for our nation - a week of prayer for the protection of Human Life.
I got this today. A little late but better late than never
2008 Election of Congress and President
My faith in God must be bigger than my fear of the future.
We must remember that God is not up for re-election.
On November 5th, He is still God.
My people who are called by My name humble themselves, pray and seek My face, and turn from their evil ways, then I will hear from heaven, forgive their sin, and heal their land. God 2 Chronicles 7:13-14
Monday, October 27
1 God, You are my God; I eagerly seek You. I thirst for You; my body faints for You in a land that is dry, desolate, and without water. 2 So I gaze on You in the sanctuary to see Your strength and Your glory. 3 My lips will glorify You because Your faithful love is better than life.
Ask God to
· Give our nation a longing to walk with Him
· To help you to see Him as the most powerful strength on earth
· Give you joy regardless of the externals
· Give you, this church, & this nation the faith to see His Love
Tuesday, October 28
17 I pray that you, being rooted and firmly established in love, 18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and width, height and depth, 19 and to know the Messiah’s love that surpasses knowledge, so you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
Ask God to
· Pour out His Spirit on this church and this nation as we elect new leaders
· Break down all the barriers to religious revival in America
· Strengthen our desire for holiness
· Help us understand the scope of His love and the confidence that will bring
Wednesday, October 29
20 From the creation of the world His invisible attributes, that is, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what He has made. As a result, people are without excuse. 21 For though they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God or show gratitude. Instead, their thinking became nonsense, and their senseless minds were darkened.
Ask God to
· Pour His Spirit over this entire nation
· Convince and convict every person in America of our sin
· Empower and embolden Christians to share their faith so the lost can hear the gospel
· Restrain Satan from blinding people to their sin
Thursday, October 30
36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know with certainty that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah! 37 When they heard this, they were pierced to the heart and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles: Brothers, what must we do? 38 Repent, Peter said to them, and be baptized, each of you, in the name of Jesus the Messiah for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is for you and for your children, and for all who are far off, as many as the Lord our God will call. 40 And with many other words he testified and strongly urged them, saying, Be saved from this corrupt generation! 41 So those who accepted his message were baptized, and that day about 3,000 people were added to them.
Ask God to
· Give you the conviction to tell others that Jesus is the only way we have of salvation
· Silent the enemies of the gospel and prevent them from hindering the God given mission of the church
· Give us as many opportunities to talk about Jesus as we have to talk about the politics of our nation
· Raise up a new generation of church and national leaders who are fearless in sharing the good news of Jesus
Friday, October 31
2 Peter 3:9-10
9 The Lord does not delay His promise, as some understand delay, but is patient with you, not wanting any to perish, but all to come to repentance.
10 But the Day of the Lord will come like a thief; on that day the heavens will pass away with a loud noise, the elements will burn and be dissolved, and the earth and the works on it will be disclosed.
Ask God to
· Use you to show this nation its need for truth
· Cause people to see the need for biblical answers to our nations problems
· Draw this nation to Himself
· Turn the hearts of this nation to Jesus
Saturday, November 1
Zephaniah 3:9, 12
9 For I will then restore pure speech to the peoples so that all of them may call on the name of Yahweh and serve Him with a single purpose. 12 I will leave a meek and humble people among you, and they will trust in the name of Yahweh.
Ask God to
· Cause Christian ministries to find favor with the media
· Prevent Satan from interfering with the mission of the church
· Give this church, and you, opportunities to come in contact with people searching for Him
· Restore us to one nation under God
· Unite us in singleness of purpose
Sunday, November 2
11 For the grace of God has appeared, with salvation for all people, 12 instructing us to deny godlessness and worldly lusts and to live in a sensible, righteous, and godly way in the present age, 13 while we wait for the
blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ. 14 He gave Himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to cleanse for Himself a special people, eager to do good works.
Ask God to
· Help national leaders recognize the destruction caused by immorality
· Give us the votes necessary to elect people who promote godly values
· Help parents reject immorality for the sake of their children and their marriage
· Guide Congress to pass laws that restrict immoral behavior
· Help us as a church to work in Madison County to set new standards for public morality
Monday, November 3
105 Your word is a lamp for my feet and a light on my path.
1 How happy is the man who does not follow the advice of the wicked, or take the path of sinners, or join a group of mockers! 2 Instead, his delight is in the Lord’s instruction, and he meditates on it day and night.
I Timothy 4:6-8
6 If you point these things out to the brothers, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, nourished by the words of the faith and of the good teaching that you have followed. 7 But have nothing to do with irreverent and silly myths. Rather, train yourself in godliness, 8 for, the training of the body has a limited benefit, but godliness is beneficial in every way, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.
Ask God to
· Give you wisdom as you vote
· Help national leaders, regardless of the outcome of the congressional or presidential election, to promote biblical values in all decisions, policies and laws
· Help parents, and individuals, to make godly choices for their family
· Convince policy makers that His moral code makes strong nations
· Cause our nations youth to choose lifestyles that reflect biblical values
Tuesday, November 4
1 Timothy 2:1-4
1 First of all, then, I urge that petitions, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, 2 for kings and all those who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. 3 This is good, and it pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
34 Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people.
Ask God to
· Call godly men and women to public service
· Lead us as a church to minister to men and women in public office
· Cause leaders whose lives are a disgrace to the nation to leave office
· Restrain Satan from having an evil influence over public officials
· Give us enough faith in Him to overcome our fears
Wednesday, November 5 and four years to follow
I Peter 2:13-17
13 Submit to every human institution because of the Lord, whether to the Emperor as the supreme authority, 14 or to governors as those sent out by him to punish those who do evil and to praise those who do good. 15 For it is God’s will that you, by doing good, silence the ignorance of foolish people. 16 As God’s slaves, live as free people, but don’t use your freedom as a way to conceal evil. 17 Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the Emperor.
6 For the Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding. 7 He stores up success for the upright; He is a shield for those who live with integrity 8 so that He may guard the paths of justice and protect the way of His loyal followers.
5 Now if any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives to all generously and without criticizing, and it will be given to him.
Ask God to
· Give our public officials wisdom to make good decisions
· Help you, and the church, to have the strength and means to share His values with our public officials
· Raise up Christians from among us who will have the opportunity and influence to communicate His values to our public officials
· Expose all ungodly influences which might affect our elected officials
· Give us the faith to trust Him who is at work in all things to accomplish His will.
The only prayer God cannot answer is one not prayed.