Oh, I figured he’d be on; he hinted earlier that he’d be on today and tomorrow, but then he’s prob gone till after New Yrs (back
Mistah speakah, when are we gonna outlaw raccoons?...
I do have a carbon monoxide detector.
(as heard on Howie’s show)
Raccoon causes carbon monoxide fatality in East Sandwich
By Ira Kantor | Tuesday, December 23, 2008 | http://www.bostonherald.com
A 62-year-old East Sandwich man was found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning in his home Sunday morning after a raccoon crawled into his chimney flue and blocked it, police and fire officials said.
He was of such a size that it was a complete blockage of the products of combustion from the gas appliance, said Sandwich Deputy Fire Chief Tom Corriveau. So there was nowhere for them to go but back into the residence.
The victim was identified as John Van Nostrand by the Cape & Islands District Attorneys Office. Fire officials said Van Nostrand did not have any smoke or carbon monoxide detectors in his home.
Were trying to get the word out to get carbon monoxide detectors and make sure theyre operating properly because the craziest things can happen that you would never think of, Corriveau said.
Marion Larson, a biologist for MassWildlife, said that while it is common for animals like raccoons and squirrels to seek refuge in chimneys for warmth or protection from predators, homeowners should take better measures to prevent instances like these.
Thats unfortunately the extreme reason why you should be capping your chimneys, Larson said. Those openings are very attractive for wildlife.