Skip to comments.Phyllis Schlafly: 1993 All Over Again
Posted on 01/19/2009 9:28:52 PM PST by 2ndDivisionVet
Faced with 24/7 Obamamania on the media, the 60 million Americans who did not vote for Barack Obama are wondering where we go from here. Will events turn out like 1993, when another liberal president was inaugurated with the support of big majorities in both the House of Representatives and the Senate?
Under the direction of the activist first lady, the liberals attempted a government takeover of the massive health care industry, in addition to passing new regulations and tax hikes. Bill Clinton rewarded the feminists by passing Joe Biden's nearly-billion-dollar-a-year Violence Against Women Act.
But then came the midterm elections in 1994, and liberals were abruptly reminded how conservative America really is. In a tsunami we hadn't seen since 1946, Republicans won both Houses of Congress by wide margins.
The Speaker of the House, Tom Foley, was defeated for re-election, something that hadn't happened in over a century. President Bill Clinton held onto his power because he was not yet up for re-election, and he quickly changed his stripes to govern more middle-of-the-road.
The new Congress passed the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) by big majorities, and Clinton signed it into law. DOMA protects states and the federal government against having to recognize same-sex marriages that are performed in other states.
The new Congress passed Welfare Reform to end some of the worst abuses of the system started by Lyndon Johnson's Great Society in the 1960s. After much grumbling, Clinton signed it.
The liberals never forgave Bill Clinton for signing those laws, and conservatives were never fooled by his newfound political religion. Bill signing those laws even hurt Hillary Clinton in the 2008 Democratic primary over a decade later.
People who gave Obama up to $750 million to bring about "change" surely expect something in return. But will Obama and the Democrats fulfill Obama's very expensive promises and risk what happened in the 1994 elections?
Obama's push for imposing an additional trillion dollars in debt will benefit special interests at the expense of working Americans. That translates to many thousands of dollars in new costs for the average worker at a time when we can least afford it.
Less than half of Americans support this proposal according to polls, and many view it as yet another bailout like the unpopular one for bankers last fall. Just as New Deal spending programs did nothing to lift the United States out of the Great Depression, Obama's proposed "stimulus" package will simply dig us into a deeper hole.
Obama's proposed stimulus promises to create 3 million new jobs, but even if it reached that implausible goal, the price tag would be over $300,000 per job. And would they be short-term government jobs or jobs with a future?
The proposed stimulus is not even enough for some Obama supporters, perhaps because so little of it will reach average Americans. It "falls far short" in the words of Terence O'Sullivan, general president of the Laborers' International Union.
Of course, it falls short because government spending only bleeds the taxpayers to pay for government jobs, and what we need is private industry jobs. We need the government to stop its overtaxation and micromanagement of the U.S. economy, and to stop the unfair trade agreements and foreign-government policies that invite corporations to move their manufacturing overseas.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, whose approval rating has sunk to 38 percent, may meet the same fate as the speaker of the house 16 years ago. Ramming through anti-business feminist legislation like the Lilly Ledbetter Act, which invites lawsuits against large and small companies, will hurt instead of helping job creation.
Even moderate Republicans are risking the wrath of voters. Sen. Arlen Specter is already hearing the footsteps of a primary challenge from the right.
Nearly 50 House Democrats hold seats that were Republican in 2002, and perhaps another dozen seats long held by Democrats have been trending Republican. Nearly all those Democrats have just opened themselves up to challenge by voting to expose companies to new job-ruining lawsuits.
There is only one path to economic and social prosperity: less and limited government and enforcing a level playing field for international trade. If Obama and the liberals controlling Congress repeat the Democrats' mistake of 1993, it may be, as Yogi Berra famously said, deja vu all over again.
“Obama’s proposed stimulus promises to create 3 million new jobs, but even if it reached that implausible goal, the price tag would be over $300,000 per job. And would they be short-term government jobs or jobs with a future?”
Statistics we can use!!
They don’t forget this lesson either, and will craft the first two years to avoid this trap. Plus, the GOP become terrible at candidate recruitment and advertising, so they need a big turn around on both fronts almost overnight.
“Even moderate Republicans are risking the wrath of voters. Sen. Arlen Specter is already hearing the footsteps of a primary challenge from the right.”
That’s the answer, voting the RINOs out in the primaries.
I think this is the script every time a Democrat is elected president since FDR. The Republicans leave the worst economy in many years and the Democrats bring hope, change, and happy days. Carter, Clinton, and now Obama .
The only protesters of Obama that will get any coverage are the Klan, Arian Nations, and nutjobs like Fred Phelps. So they will categorize anyone who opposes Obama is siding with them.
McCain. 2010. Just do it.
They have ACORN’s army this time around.
Correct. As well as the MSM propaganda wing, which has dropped any pretense of fairness, and also the changing demographics, which make the country look a lot different in 1994 than it will in 2010.
I have been a lurker on FR for a couple of years and this is my first posted reply. I believe the problem with the voters of this country is a direct result of the very poor education the children have and are getting. They don’t even understand the difference between a republic and a democracy. What are they teaching in civics anyway? How can we expect any ethics when there is no ethics taught? I must say we do have a severely stacked deck when the children become adults and only learn how bad the country has been. Shame on the teachers!
Call them socialists every day, all day long.
Have you ever held discussions w/ these “teachers?” some of my friends’ parents are teachers as well as some of my college grad friends and they are certainly not the brightest bulbs in box... of course you do have some that are intelligent but they are blind to the truth and teach exactly what they are taught - never straying away or researching to think for themselves just like lemmings. One of my friends who is a teacher talked to me about the election beforehand and he said he didn’t know everything I was telling him and agreed that I was probably right but it didn’t matter because he is part of the union so he is liberal and will continue to vote and teach that way... good to know right?
You’re right AR. The new public school generations are a growing demographic problem. To appeal for their votes we have to appeal to their “trendiness” instead of their principles or sound judgement.
We’re in a world of hurt. I remember Mrs. Lucille Eakin many years ago telling my mother that “we are on a sinking ship.” Today we’re sinking faster. Some of our best decks are alrready below the water line.
I’m reading the Forgotten Man right now and it’s disturbing how eerily similar this situation is to what happened during the great depression and the election of FDR - same “progressive” mentality began and became more prevalent throughout the education system and the “elite intellectual movement” as well as the minorities - they were in awe of the Soviet Union’s Communist structure of govt. and economy... SCARY!
If the conservatives keep on trying to reform government from Washington; it's not "deja vu"- it's Bill Murray's movie "Groundhog's Day"-
Red States have to form a "Red State Union"- support and consolidate and rip the power from DC- because Moscow on the Potomac is never going to give it up.
ACORN should not go unchallenged.
You are correct. The leftwing indoctrination camps that public schools have devolved into are a bug reason why we’re in this mess.
Er, and a big reason too. Sigh.
True. Western civilization is no longer a subject taught in our schools.
“I have been a lurker on FR for a couple of years and this is my first posted reply. I believe the problem with the voters of this country is a direct result of the very poor education the children have and are getting. They dont even understand the difference between a republic and a democracy. What are they teaching in civics anyway? How can we expect any ethics when there is no ethics taught? I must say we do have a severely stacked deck when the children become adults and only learn how bad the country has been. Shame on the teachers!”
Sadly many teachers and profs are libs and are brainwashing our children.
And sometimes, it’s the curriculum that the teachers have to follow, and they don’t like it either.
Those who can should try to work on a school board to change the curriculum.
Nor unindicted, nor unconvicted, nor unjailed. And the same for their contributors/paymasters.
But, the Republicans did nothing as ACORN honed their organization over the last 8 years of elections.
Said that history doesn’t repeat, but it does rhyme.
I just wonder how many political cycles we can survive because each time in power liberals tear away at this nation anew with policy that becomes entrenched enough to cause another “crisis” they can claim to save us from.
I have learned one thing this election.
Emotions are everything in a presidential election.
Appealing to the mind will not work on those that decide elections. Not that it should not be done, but you have to get the hearts first, then the mind.
There is no science to it, sure Obama has studied it, but he has the face, the look, the smile, the voice.
The delivery system is more important then the message sadly. And the MSM is a big part of that delivery system.
Tough times ahead, sometimes you need that though to do your best work.
Arlen Spector may not get a second term this time around.
Republicans only have themselves to blame for this demographics problem. They willing let uncontrolled and illegal immigration run amok to satisfy the cheap labor demands of corporate America.
People who migrate to the states legally are entrepreneurial and even pioneering in nature; and if not Republican tend to be much more moderate, reasonable or perhaps conservative Democrats. People who come here or stay here illegal are the la Raza crowd.
I believe that the changing demographic is the biggest and perhaps only long term obstacle to a conservative Republican resurgence. In short, we are screwed on a national level for a long, long time.
“Arlen Spector may not get a second term this time around.”
If that’s true, I hope he gets replaced by not only a conservative, but a conservative who FIGHTS.
Welcome to Free Republic.
Here’s the liberal playbook. It’s been their goal for the decades. Read carefully:
Communist Goals (1963)
Congressional Record—Appendix, pp. A34-A35
January 10, 1963
Current Communist Goals
EXTENSION OF REMARKS OF HON. A. S. HERLONG, JR. OF FLORIDA
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
Thursday, January 10, 1963
Mr. HERLONG. Mr. Speaker, Mrs. Patricia Nordman of De Land, Fla., is an ardent and articulate opponent of communism, and until recently published the De Land Courier, which she dedicated to the purpose of alerting the public to the dangers of communism in America.
At Mrs. Nordman’s request, I include in the RECORD, under unanimous consent, the following “Current Communist Goals,” which she identifies as an excerpt from “The Naked Communist,” by Cleon Skousen:
[From “The Naked Communist,” by Cleon Skousen]
CURRENT COMMUNIST GOALS
1. U.S. acceptance of coexistence as the only alternative to atomic war.
2. U.S. willingness to capitulate in preference to engaging in atomic war.
3. Develop the illusion that total disarmament [by] the United States would be a demonstration of moral strength.
4. Permit free trade between all nations regardless of Communist affiliation and regardless of whether or not items could be used for war.
5. Extension of long-term loans to Russia and Soviet satellites.
6. Provide American aid to all nations regardless of Communist domination.
7. Grant recognition of Red China. Admission of Red China to the U.N.
8. Set up East and West Germany as separate states in spite of Khrushchev’s promise in 1955 to settle the German question by free elections under supervision of the U.N.
9. Prolong the conferences to ban atomic tests because the United States has agreed to suspend tests as long as negotiations are in progress.
10. Allow all Soviet satellites individual representation in the U.N.
11. Promote the U.N. as the only hope for mankind. If its charter is rewritten, demand that it be set up as a one-world government with its own independent armed forces. (Some Communist leaders believe the world can be taken over as easily by the U.N. as by Moscow. Sometimes these two centers compete with each other as they are now doing in the Congo.)
12. Resist any attempt to outlaw the Communist Party.
13. Do away with all loyalty oaths.
14. Continue giving Russia access to the U.S. Patent Office.
15. Capture one or both of the political parties in the United States.
16. Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American institutions by claiming their activities violate civil rights.
17. Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for socialism and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of teachers’ associations. Put the party line in textbooks.
18. Gain control of all student newspapers.
19. Use student riots to foment public protests against programs or organizations which are under Communist attack.
20. Infiltrate the press. Get control of book-review assignments, editorial writing, policymaking positions.
21. Gain control of key positions in radio, TV, and motion pictures.
22. Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all forms of artistic expression. An American Communist cell was told to “eliminate all good sculpture from parks and buildings, substitute shapeless, awkward and meaningless forms.”
23. Control art critics and directors of art museums. “Our plan is to promote ugliness, repulsive, meaningless art.”
24. Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them “censorship” and a violation of free speech and free press.
25. Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio, and TV.
26. Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as “normal, natural, healthy.”
27. Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with “social” religion. Discredit the Bible and emphasize the need for intellectual maturity which does not need a “religious crutch.”
28. Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on the ground that it violates the principle of “separation of church and state.”
29. Discredit the American Constitution by calling it inadequate, old-fashioned, out of step with modern needs, a hindrance to cooperation between nations on a worldwide basis.
30. Discredit the American Founding Fathers. Present them as selfish aristocrats who had no concern for the “common man.”
31. Belittle all forms of American culture and discourage the teaching of American history on the ground that it was only a minor part of the “big picture.” Give more emphasis to Russian history since the Communists took over.
32. Support any socialist movement to give centralized control over any part of the culture—education, social agencies, welfare programs, mental health clinics, etc.
33. Eliminate all laws or procedures which interfere with the operation of the Communist apparatus.
34. Eliminate the House Committee on Un-American Activities.
35. Discredit and eventually dismantle the FBI.
36. Infiltrate and gain control of more unions.
37. Infiltrate and gain control of big business.
38. Transfer some of the powers of arrest from the police to social agencies. Treat all behavioral problems as psychiatric disorders which no one but psychiatrists can understand [or treat].
39. Dominate the psychiatric profession and use mental health laws as a means of gaining coercive control over those who oppose Communist goals.
40. Discredit the family as an institution. Encourage promiscuity and easy divorce.
41. Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence of parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks and retarding of children to suppressive influence of parents.
42. Create the impression that violence and insurrection are legitimate aspects of the American tradition; that students and special-interest groups should rise up and use [”]united force[”] to solve economic, political or social problems.
43. Overthrow all colonial governments before native populations are ready for self-government.
44. Internationalize the Panama Canal.
45. Repeal the Connally reservation so the United States cannot prevent the World Court from seizing jurisdiction [over domestic problems. Give the World Court jurisdiction] over nations and individuals alike.
I admit, I didn’t read the whole article but...you can say farewell to future free elections. So those that are just waiting for the next one in hopes of stemming this marxists will be waiting for eternity
The young 0bama voters are going to learn the hard way. Of course, by then it may be too late.
I certainly am. Judging from the coverage in the MSM you'd think B Hussein Obama received 98% of the vote!
UN - EFFING - BELIEVABLE!
The political left also will create amnesty for illegal immigrants, which will also include ways of getting illegals to vote in all future U.S. elections! The Fairness Doctrine will be successfully brought back, and conservatism will be profoundly suppressed because of this fact. Leftists will also make it legal for most to all criminals to vote in all future U.S. elections, and they will successfully find a finite number of ways to cheat in order to get what they really want in future elections. Leftists may even decide to do away with any future elections! Leftists are already working at doing away with presidential term limits! Other than all of these things, conservatism should do just swell in both the short-term and long-term.
You and I consider it a poor education.
Liberals consider it a job well done.
They are churning out generations of children who haven’t been educated so much as they have had a thorough liberal brainwashing.
I completely agree with you. I have murmured the line, “if you don’t learn history, you repeat history” all week and even mentioned it to the kids. I am happy that our school curriculum has a strong history program but it won’t do much good when the majority of the nation’s schools don’t. It is hard to fight against that tide.
I think you are absolutely correct. I wrote nearly the same as you just did nearly two years ago. I added one little caveat and that was; If Duncan Hunter or someone very much like him isn’t elected in 2008, 2012 will not matter to Conservatives because the demographics will have changed in such a way as to make us politically irrelevant.
Of course everyone was playing the medias game and instructing us who could and couldn’t, “beat hillary”. It was a Republican Primary, American Idol of sorts. I can only hope that both of us are very, very wrong. :)
No, parents should take their kids out of these communist indoctrination classrooms and home school their children.
At some point, the government schools will not have the power if they don't have the majority of pupils.
Yes, the educational system is very much at fault for producing many ignorant graduates with a warped sense of ethics.
I live in a BIG city and see students of all ages commuting on mass transit and hanging out in general, and they are distinctly unimpressive as the future citizenry.
Couple of points. How in h e double q does one last two years as a lurker? Let me answer that while trying not to appear too judgmental. You were real busy with life, you have a day job, you have a family, BHO was not the President and neither was billy bob clinton, you were no keyboard cowboy, time was a factor, etc, etc.
Welcome to FreeRepublic and forgive the seeming incredulity, I lasted about two months and whose to say what standard a lurker must adhere to.
“only learn how bad the country has been. Shame on the teachers”!
Perhaps, but who is it that chooses the books and the direction of education? Is it administration, school board, or teachers? Maybe a combo of all three plus the workings of the NEA, and government. I’ll agree in principle that proper, truthful, documented, non PC, history and civics education is certainly one of the many faults of the education system, not to mention the wildly changing demographics within certain parts of the country.
Red States have to form a “Red State Union”- support and consolidate and rip the power from DC- because Moscow on the Potomac is never going to give it up.
I like that idea. Might be up to governors to pull it off, but it does sound good. Start with the two largest states, Alaska and Texas, with Wyoming and South Dakota as red states number 3 and 4. The real swinger would be CA, but they are so far over the cliff... who knows.
What government has become is large cities against the more rural, and smaller population centers, and since population is votes, the large cities usually get what they want. This is not what the Constitution, would lead us too, nor the vision of the founding fathers, IMHO.
“Red States have to form a “Red State Union”- support and consolidate and rip the power from DC- because Moscow on the Potomac is never going to give it up. “
You’re absolutely correct. Conservatives need a political base to fight back. Consolidating red states to form a political block is one good idea. Also taking back local government from liberals is another necessity. But all these ideas will fall dead to the ground. For some reason, conservatives are not interested in building a movement from the ground up. Go to a local meeting of the town council and you’ll find a half-dozen drooling Marxists in the crowd but no conservatives.
Why conservatives focus so hard on Washington DC rather than their own backyard drives me up a wall. Conservatives are simply not interested in running local governments. Until we build and maintain a political base, starting in our backyards, we face years in the wilderness.
All you need do is study our own revolution and it will become apparent what must be done - the head (federal government) cannot function without the co-operation of the body (local government).
.......Conservatives are simply not interested in running local governments......
Actually, conservatives simply are not interested. They are complacent and apathetic and perhaps even lazy. They don’t pay attention until they feel the wind of the ax falling. They have been warned over and over and over and just don’t give a damn.
They have been warned over and over and over and just dont give a damn.
I disagree. Conservatives have jobs in some cases more than one, and many other pressures that vie for their time and effort, like family, church, morality, principles, etc, etc,
Government should be something one can trust to remain in the background doing what government is mandated to do by the Constitution of the United States of America, and not the intrusive power grabbing entity it has become that requires all the time and effort of conservative man to keep it in check. In short, government is the problem and those seeking to enlarge it, at the expense of the freedom we once enjoyed, are part of the problem.
The solution is not pretty, any more than the first American Revolution.
......Conservatives have jobs in some cases more than one, and many other pressures that vie for their time and effort, like family, church, morality, principles, etc, etc,.....
That can be described as the conservative rut. It is known and comfortable. There is no desire to get out of the rut even to save one’s life.
That can be described as the conservative rut.
Responsibility is not a rut. If politics and party become the all consuming monster you make it out to be, and that it has become, something is out of whack and needs a major adjustment to put it back in it’s place.
Individual responsibility for things as basic as the foundation of our society, the family, must assume their rightful place in the hierarchy of time consumers. Seeking money in the pursuit of governmental power, is not high on the list of a lot of folks I know who are classed as entrepreneurs. Dems on the other hand seem to adore long service in the industry of self aggrandizement called government.
I know what you are preaching, but disagree with the doctrine. Since we have migrated away from strict constructionism, government has been out of control IMHO, and throwing unproductive time at it, is not IMHO going to solve the problem. I see collapse of the problem as the first step to a reasonable solution.
“I really wish our side would stop referring to hardcore marxists as “liberals”
Call them socialists every day, all day long.”
If they are hardcore marxists, and I believe them to be, why not call them marxists, all day long?
CNBC is pushing the worse than FDR ecconomy (thought that was a depression) crisis.
CNBC left with SOCIALIST guests and “I got mine” NYC deziens are pushing the tax INCREASES are good for the ecconomy meme.
Today Janaury 20, 2009 is all about the big lie.
BY THE WAY
oil is at around 34 dollars a barrel.
on this historic day, democrats on TV are pushing gas tax INCREASES!
The problem is, this isn’t 1993. The NEA has had 16 years to crank out tens of millions of new flying monkeys and many of our warriors have gone on to greater glory.
and we have two years to deprogram them.
the 2010 congressional election starts today.
take notes people, the left exposes they lunacy today.
What's most striking is that Jefferson predicted this very dynamic over 200 years ago. Essentially, Jefferson thought that the simplicity (not used as a pejorative) and hard working ethic of the rural communities would act as a tether for the rest of the country to the foundational principles of the Constitution. He knew that if or when their came a time when the large population centers became so powerful as to overwhelm rural America, it would essentially mark the beginning of the end of the Republic.
Jefferson and the other FF's studied this effect in Europe and knew the corrosive and damaging force it had on that continent.