I’m fairly convinced (though only anecdotal evidence) that asthma is more prevalent in households that are cleaned by neat freaks. Friends that grew up in sterile houses all have asthma. Friends and I who grew up in dusty houses that maybe got windex/lisoled once a month if we were lucky don’t have asthma.
I’ve noticed the same thing. It seems that not only are their immune systems not developed to handle natural toxins but they are also bombarded with cleaning chemicals, which are toxic. A double whammy.
I knew a family who came from an extremely spotless house and almost everything almost killed them.
I dunno about the asthma, my granddaughter has grown up in a dusty house, she’s had pigs, dogs, cats, goats, horses and when she turned 13 started up with the asthma. She’s allergic to all animals and she loves them.
She has ended up with a hamster,she is allergic to him but she just holds him in her hands and then washes them immediately. Her brother cleans the cage and he lives in her brother’s room.
I’ve read that there is a higher incidence of asthma among people who as kids grew up with cigarette smoke.
And the clean thing - it’s probably the toxic cleaners, not the absence of dirt. Practically all cleaners have perfumes that are really nasty; and bleach which many people clean with and is in other cleaners damages the lungs, especially childrens’. Automatic dishwasher detergent, Ajax and Comet, all kinds of toilet cleaners etc have bleach in them.
I am sure it is the cleaners themselves.
I have asthma, and I can assure you that I did not grow up in a sterile household. Neither did my husband, who also has asthma.