OK, one more time:
1. HIV does NOT cause AIDS.
2. AIDS is NOT a sexually-transmitted disease.
3. There is no pandemic. There is no epidemic. There is no heterosexual epidemic.
4. African AIDS is NOT AIDS. It is not caused by HIV. It is based on malnutrition, common bacterial, viral and fungal infections, and poor sanitation.
5. The HIV test is NOT a test for the presence of live virus (antigen). It is an antibody test showing prior exposure to a harmless retrovirus.
6. The only people who are at risk of acquired immune deficiency are homosexuals (for a variety of disease issues) and IV drug users. Period.
7. AZT is a DNA chain terminator and kills people, it doesn't cure them. Next?
posted on 02/07/2009 6:36:51 PM PST
by Doc Savage
("Are you saying Jesus can't hit a curve ball? - Harris to Cerrano - Major League)
To: Doc Savage
OK, one more time:
1. 99% percent of untreated patients with HIV will get AIDS.
2. Infection with HIV is a disease that can be transmitted sexually or via blood. AIDS is not a disease per se, it's a syndrome.
3. HIV is a pandemic and eastern Africa, because it spreads sustainably among the population. It is not in Montana.
4. With cheaper HIV tests, HIV infection figures for Africa have become much more reliable over the last years. This is not the 80s anymore, where HIV infection was diagnosed by symptoms.
5. Diagnosing HIV is usually done with three successive tests: ELISA antibody test, Western Blot antibody test and PCR, which detects the virus directly.
6. A monogamous couple that hasn't been sexually active before or has been tested for the disease is not at risk for HIV / AIDS. People with poligamous partners or who have alternating sexual partners themselves are at risk, also depending on the social group they choose their partners from (gay more than straight, urban more than rural etc.).
7. AZT (azidothymidine) has a 100- to 300-fold greater affinity for the HIV reverse transcriptase, as compared to the human DNA polymerase, accounting for its selective antiviral activity. AZA (azathioprine) which is given to supress organ transplant rejection or in case of autoimmune diseases, is indeed a DNA synthesis inhibitor on the cellular level (not viral RNA/DNA). And still it doesn't kill people.
posted on 02/23/2009 1:01:10 PM PST
(Cranky Libertarian - equal opportunity offender)
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson