Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

To: Donald Rumsfeld Fan

See, I’m not sure about that. I don’t know what you’re background is - I’m a Ph.D. student in physics. And it seems to me, as well as to other physicists I’ve discussed the issue with, that quantum mechanics is still deterministic, it’s just probabalitically deterministic rather than absolutely deterministic. You may no longer be able to say “that electron is here,” but you can still say “there is an 80% chance that electron is here, and a 20% chance that it’s over there.” You can still make predictions. If you looked at 1000 such electrons, you would be puzzled if something other than ~800 were here, and ~200 were over there. QM is still deterministic.


18 posted on 02/26/2009 9:32:39 AM PST by kc8ukw
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies ]


To: kc8ukw
And it seems to me, as well as to other physicists I’ve discussed the issue with, that quantum mechanics is still deterministic, it’s just probabalitically deterministic rather than absolutely deterministic.

If you stick to a 100% naturalistic explanation then it is "indeterminate". But if you bring in "probabalitically deterministic" you open the door to theological explanations.

I recall a physicist saying "yes... the universe is ruled by chance, but God runs the Casino".

19 posted on 02/26/2009 9:44:48 AM PST by Donald Rumsfeld Fan (Sarah Palin "The Iron Lady of the North")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies ]

To: kc8ukw
"...“there is an 80% chance that electron is here, and a 20% chance that it’s over there.” If you looked at 1000 such electrons, you would be puzzled if something other than ~800 were here, and ~200 were over there."

I would only be puzzled by the perfect outcome obtained. It strongly suggests the data was generated w/o the benefit of an experiment.

63 posted on 02/27/2009 2:46:41 PM PST by spunkets
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies ]

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article


FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson