Skip to comments.Policeman shot dead in Northern Ireland as province teeters on the brink
Posted on 03/09/2009 6:38:46 PM PDT by PotatoHeadMick
A policeman was murdered in Northern Ireland last night days after two British soldiers were killed by republicans.
The unnamed officer was shot dead in a patrol car in the Lismore Manor area of Craigavon, Co Armagh, 30 miles away from Belfast.
Some reports suggest the policeman was shot in the head.
The incident, which happened less than 48 hours after two British soldiers were shot dead by the Real IRA, has fuelled concerns that sectarianism has returned to Northern Ireland.
Last night a leading Northern Ireland politician warned that 'we were staring into the abyss'.
(Excerpt) Read more at dailymail.co.uk ...
Doesn’t bode well for that dude that’s trying to get the Jews and the Palestinians to make nice.
They're giving Ted Kennedy a few ha-ha moments before he descends to Hell.
The left is on the rise everywhere. Don’t forget that the IRA is a Marxist group. They’re all feeling emboldened now with one of their own in the White House.
Ireland has a very small Muslim (1%) population. However, it would be very easy for one or two of them to strategically make 5 or 6 kills and get the other 99% fighting again.
It makes one appear silly to blame everything on the Muslims.
Even if the Muslims ARE to blame?
Ahem, that's Sir Ted...
Oh the irony.
But they are not. Can we drop this silly argument now?
Well, the Brits were very accepting of his Nazi-loving father, too.
Are they? Over here, especially?
Why don’t the British just leave?
Maybe, if the RIRA is behind both attacks, it doesn’t take very many terrs to launch a small campaign.
Add in the financial problems in the Republic of Ireland and this could be very bad juju for the people of the region.
Because the majority in Northern Ireland don’t want to be in the Republic. There are a lot of reasons, including the role of the Roman Catholic Church in the government of the Republic.
That said, the North would have been much better off had the Protestants not treated the Catholics like slaves, keeping them from education, jobs, etc.
That has been changing, and I haven’t been keeping up with the news since the two sides seemed to have started working together.
The “real” IRA is an organization of Marxists (as someone else stated). Heck, so was the *real* real IRA.
Because the majority of people don’t want the British to leave, they wish to remain part of the United Kingdom. It was settled by Irish Nationalists and British Unionists in Northern Ireland in the Good Friday Agreement that Northern Ireland would remain part of the UK for as long as a majority wanted it to.
A fair and reasonable settlement I would have thought.
Well let’s not over exaggerate the situation in Northern Ireland, Catholics were not treated “like slaves”, I know because I am a Northern Ireland Catholic and I had a superb education and always had a job. However there was a fair amount of petty and bigoted discrimination but frankly the blacks of the southern United States were treated one hundred times worse than the Catholics of Northern Ireland.
As often is the case, career criminals are also hard up for work as the pickings get slimmer throughout the UK and Ireland. Certain sectors will “hide behind the flag” and return to tribalism and nationalism. The question now is, if the UK and Ireland are looking at multi-year recessions and skyrocketing unemployment, as well as an education system that is in shambles, how long will it take for radicalization to occur in the poorest areas?
The immigrant population of Brittania has conquered a larger area of Great Britain than the total of North Ireland, I don’t see either how or why the British on Great Britain will be willing to defend their rule in North Ireland under the current UK political and economic paradigm. If the UK cuts loose North Ireland right now they won’t be on the line for the pensions of the Baby Boomer government employees, the welfare rolls as the recession spreads to depression in the UK’s least economically competitive regions, and the ongoing costs of security in North Ireland.
Sort of the “IRA” was anti communist, that was in their charter, specifically anything or anyone having much to do with John Connoley (sp) then the “IRA” split and the whole thing sort dragged on and on.
I would hope the Good Friday Accords hold up to this latest bout of violence, it would be a pity if a handfull of hardcore nuts who just refuse to put their guns screw things up for hundreds of thousands of people.