Shirley Muldowney, First Woman To:
(1) Obtain her NHRA Top Fuel license;
(2) Advance to a final round in Top Fuel, 1975 NHRA Spring Nationals, Columbus, Ohio;
(3) Win in Top Fuel, 1976 NHRA Spring Nationals, Columbus, Ohio, and
(4) Qualify No. 1 in a pro category, 1976 NHRA Spring Nationals - 6.031 seconds, 229 mph;
(5) Repeat (male or female) as NHRA Top Fuel World champion after her 1st 1977 title (1980,82);
(6) Clock a four-second run, 1989 NHRA Keystone Nationals, Reading, PA, 4.974 seconds, 284 mph;
(7) Be included (only female) in NHRA's list of Top 50 greatest drivers, at No. 5. Nitro drivers Don Garlits,
John Force, Don Prudhomme, and pro stock driver Bob Glidden are 1-4;
(8) Be inducted (only female) in the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America.
(A) Shirley was the second women, behind NASCAR's Louise Smith, inducted into the International Motorsports Hall of Fame.
(B) In 1982, Shirley and Top Fuel driver Lucille Lee met in the first all-female final round in NHRA history. Shirley won at 5.711 seconds, 233.16 mph to Lee's 6.052 seconds, 207.85 mph.
(C) In 1971, Shirley won her first Funny Car national event at the International Hot Rod Association's Southern Nationals, Rockingham, NC. Because the IHRA was in their first season, and racing outside of the NHRA, her win was largely unrecognized.
5 Stars Vintage Shirley Videos:
1972: Great behind the scenes video when Shirley was driving a Funny Car for Connie Kalitta. After she was injured in a bad fire at the 1973 NHRA U.S. Nationals, Indianapolis (worst of four fires Shirley had during her funny car career), she switched to Top Fuel dragsters.
06.13.76 Spring Nationals, Columbus Ohio: Great video of Shirleys first NHRA Top Fuel event win driving for Connie Kalitta. In addition to her first win, it was also her first time to qualify No.1 at 6.031 seconds, 229 mph. She also posted low elapsed time of the event at 5.96, 244 mph. 1977: Video shows Shirley's major wins on the way to her first of three NHRA Top Fuel World Championships. Don Prudhomme does the color commentary with additional comments and interview by Shirley.
Movie: Heart Like a Wheel (1983) - The Drag Racing Story of Shirley Muldowney. First feature movie of any NHRA drag racer. It's a surprisingly good movie for drag racing buffs. - Video: Honoring Shirley