Skip to comments.Recriminations after NYC jet flyover photo op
Posted on 04/28/2009 3:28:35 AM PDT by Upstate NY Guy
NEW YORK (AP) It was supposed to be a photo op that captured images of an Air Force One plane with a majestic Statue of Liberty in the background. Instead, it turned into a public relations nightmare that led to recriminations from the president and mayor and prompted thousands other to ask, "What were they thinking?"
Just before the workday began on Monday, an airliner and supersonic fighter jet zoomed past the lower Manhattan skyline. Within minutes, startled financial workers streamed out of their offices, fearing a nightmarish replay of Sept. 11....
An Air Force combat photographer took pictures from one of the fighter jets, administration officials said.
The photo op was combined with a training exercise to save money, according to another administration official who also spoke on condition of anonymity because she was not authorized to speak publicly about the behind-the-scenes discussions about the flight....
It had a classified footnote that said, "Information in this document shall not be released to the public or the media."
(Excerpt) Read more at google.com ...
A very strange event. Many questions need to be answered.
1. Why were the NYC authorities told not to release the info to the public or media prior to the flyover?
2. Why did the NYC authorities go along with this bizarre request?
3. Why didn't Bloomberg know about it?
4. What was the nature and purpose of the "training mission"? To scare the crap out of New Yorkers?
5. Who at the White House originally requested the mission?
6. Who was on board the 747?
7. Why did the plane circle around at low altitude? Why not just flyby and cirle over a less populated area?
8. Who in the White house knew and when did they know it?
9. Why are White House oficials being instructed not to speak publically about the mission?
This is comlete BS. A training excercise does not involve a single F-16 buzzing a civilian area. These people are disgusting.
AIR HEADS IN DC TERRORIZE CITY
Ah! More transparency! This is good.
I hope, when election time comes, that some clever GOP media types find a way to use this video. Perhaps as an example of how “tone deaf” some libs are with respect to our national security. It’s a disgrace.
Two of my NY friends called tonight and their comments to me, would get me banned from here. And they are libs!
“...The Government by the people, for the people....”
Oh, wait. That must have been some other, earlier incarnation of Government.
This one sucks.
This whole administration is just one big group of idiots.
Their entire reason for being in the capitol is nothing but one big photo op.
One of the sad things is that the muslim (or former muslim) in this plane is a great threat to this nation too just like the terrorists that flew planes into our buildings.
In my humble opinion, their memories are not that vivid and needed a good shaking-up...
You can’t fix STUPID, but you can VOTE it out of office.
In that respect, it's very apropos, doncha think?
Yes...then let the war begin.
To save money? HA! That does it for me. I'm now convinced this was no photo op.
Yes - this whole transparency thing is great. The world can see some pictures which will put the men and women fighting the enemy in danger, but America can’t see a document about a flight to take some pictures.
Something very strange going on....
Did they specifically blame zerO, the adminstration and the donk party, in general? Feel free to post w/expletives deleted.
“The photo op was combined with a training exercise to save money”
Oh, well that’s OK then. Barry and his fools are saving us money.
We can only imagine the response of our enemies to the buffoonery of the current administration. This is the exclamation point at the end of the first hundred days. God help us.
Don't we all feel s-o-o-o-o- safe (/snic)?
The director of the White House military office.... Louis Caldera......engineered this debacle.
GUESS WHO Louis E Caldera. Born: 1-Apr-1956. Birthplace: El Paso, TX. Race or Ethnicity: Hispanic
Idiot must have gotten his brains from the Third World.
Furthermore, the dang thing could have been photoshopped. It would have looked just as majestic, cost much less and would have not scared the @!#$%^&*()(*&^%$ out of everyone.
Dang Caligula. I’d say more but I’m a missionary.
Remember when confronted with attack - cower, flee, or cry.
Never, ever fight back. Run in circles and wait for the government to tell you what to do.
"Scare" is the key word.
Pretty soon he'll be raping young boys.
Exactly. My bullsh*t detector works pretty good. Right now it's on the red line.
There's a better chance of us all hitting the lottery.
And there are no "clever GOP media types", unfortunately.
Caldera is just the fall guy. This came directly from the illegal alien Kenyan/Indonesian in the WH.
Oh, they were trying to save money!!
That makes it perfectly okay!!!
Lets assume for a minute that it was, as they say, a "training mission". As a pilot of more than 30 years I ask, training for what?
Lets assume for a minute that it was, as they say, a "photo op". Why in the world would they do an unannounced photo op flight resulting in numerous buildings in NY and NJ to be evacuated when millions of pictures of the Statue of Liberty exist and millions of picture of Air Force One exist and any two of which could easily be photoshopped together to create the desired image?
This one stinks to high heaven.....
They couldn’t do this at 0630 on a Sunday morning?
11. Why pull this stunt at 10 am on a Monday?
1. "Obama criticized pork barrel spending in the form of 'earmarks,' urging changes in the way that Congress adopts the spending proposals. Then he signed a spending bill that contains nearly 9,000 of them, some that members of his own staff shoved in last year when they were still members of Congress. 'Let there be no doubt, this piece of legislation must mark an end to the old way of doing business, and the beginning of a new era of responsibility and accountability,' Obama said." -- McClatchy, 3/11
2. "There is no doubt that we've been living beyond our means and we're going to have to make some adjustments." -- Obama during the campaign.
3. This year's budget deficit: $1.5 trillion.
4. Asks his Cabinet to cut costs in their departments by $100 million -- a whopping .0027%!
5. "The White House says the president is unaware of the tea parties." -- ABC News, 4/15
6. "Mr. Obama is an accomplished orator but is becoming known in America as the 'teleprompt president' over his reliance on the machine when he gives a speech." -- Sky News, 3/18
7. In early February, the 2010 census was moved out of the Department of Commerce and into the White House, politicizing how federal aid is distributed and electoral districts are drawn.
8. Obama taps Nancy Killefer for a new administration job, First Chief Performance Officer -- to police government spending. But it surfaces that Killefer had performance issues of her own -- a tax lien was slapped on her DC home in 2005 for failure to pay unemployment compensation tax on household help. She withdrew.
9. Turkey tried to block the appointment of Anders Fogh Rasmussen as new NATO secretary general because he didn't properly punish the Danish cartoonist who caricatured Mohammed. France's Nicolas Sarkozy and Germany's Angela Merkel were outraged; Obama said he supported Turkey's induction into the European Union.
10. . . . and he never mentioned the Armenian genocide.
11. The picture of Obama and Hugo Chavez shaking hands.
12. Hugo Chavez gave him the anti-American screed "The Open Veins of Latin America." Obama didn't remark upon it. At least it wasn't DVDs.
READ REST HEREhttp://www.nypost.com/seven/04252009/postopinion/opedcolumnists/100_days__100_mistakes_166177.htm?page=0
They are lying!
They must think Americans are idiots. But then since we elected Obama, they would be right.
It would be unthinkable that those involved would be blind to the effects and I can only imagine that approval must have come from the oval office.
For all intents and purposes, the President has conducted his own terrorist attack (albeit one without a crash) on the people of NY/NJ.
Fox just had a clip on this story entitled “SCARE FORCE ONE. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?” lol!
However, I do think O's got a freewheeling buncha lowlifes surrounding him who have enormous federal power.....who think they can do whatever they want whenever they want b/c O's so (cough) "popular."
Oh, I suppose we’ll get the answers to those pertinent questions right after the WH releases Skippy’s real birth certificate.
I want to know if it was a true joy ride, which is what I think it was.
........You cant fix STUPID.....
Of course you can. You change the rules and eliminate it from the current events
for the children.
Showing New Yorkers how thoughtful we are = Priceless
i dont think its photo op. Why the secrecy of it? They could give a few days warning about it happening and made it public.
Me think White House want to scare ppl
Lying liars lying again and again and again and again and again... rinse and repeat.
"It's Rahm, Mr President. He says keep laughing. We know nothing about the flyover."
" Some guy named Louis is gonna take the blame."
"Rahm had five doctors, an EMT crew, three paramedics and an
ambulance ready to go to NYC just in case the plane accidentally dropped
a bomb or something."
You left out muslim.
I expect the photographer was in the F-16. I’m not sure how functional the rear seat of an F-16 is when it comes to photography, but at least it could keep up with the 747. I also suspect the term ‘training mission’ is used to describe any flight that is not directly associated with transporting the TOTUS.
Of course after all is said and done the justification is being provided by an administration that has absolutely NO respect for reality or the truth.
I am appalled at the inability, and the unwillingness, of so many Americans to appreciate the difference in professionalism and abilities between the current pretender and his predecessor. Or any other who has ever held the office, excepting Carter and one or two of those guys years and years ago.