Skip to comments.ANOTHER WEEK, ANOTHER RANGEL PROBE (Nancy's protection racket up close)
Posted on 06/26/2009 5:01:59 AM PDT by Liz
The House Ethics Committee is investigating Caribbean trips paid for by corporate lobbyists Rangel and several other members went on, in apparent violation of House rules.........more than nine months after the trips were disclosed by The Post. Not that the committee will ever do more than slap Rangel's wrist -- if that. Speaker Pelosi declared the initial probe into Rangel's tortured personal finances would be finished last January...... Rangel for nearly a decade enjoyed free luxurious Carib trips paid for by corporate lobbyists who bundled their sponsorships through a small Carib newspaper in NY. The paper's owner bragged publicly the trips are effective ways for lobbyists to gain access to powerful legislators. Rangel's fellow Dems have rebuffed GOP demands that he relinquish his chairmanship...... seems Rangel is better at writing tax laws than obeying them.
(Excerpt) Read more at nypost.com ...
(1) Took a "homestead" tax deduction meant for year-round DC residents - though he legally resides in New York.
(2) Rangel paid no taxes on his luxe property in the Caribbean;
(3) Has four rent-stabilized apartments (one is a campaign office);
(4) Improperly stored his car in a House parking garage;
(5) The NY Times reported oil-drilling businessman Eugene Isenberg made a $1 million pledge toward building The Rangel School for Public Service at City College of New York. Rangel later preserved a controversial offshore tax loophole that saved millions for Isenberg's company. The Isenberg-Nabors deal is, potentially, far more serious: It reeks of a quid pro quo between Rangel's official duties and fund-raising for his personal project. The Times reported that Rangel held meetings the same day, at the same hotel, with Isenberg to discuss the CCNY project and then with Nabors' chief lobbyist on the tax loophole.
(6) Took free trips sponsored by corporate lobbyists.
Rangel's multiple ties with tax-exempt foundations smell to high heaven. Rangels pricey real estate deals are entwined with his financial connections to several tax-exempt entities.
The IRS says the biggest potential for IRS fraud are tax-exempt non-profits doing deals with other tax-exempt non-profits----all posing as do-gooder "foundations" and charities. The NY Post reports at least three tax-exempt entities connected to Rangels finances:
(1) The Charles B. Rangel Center for Public Service (Rangel co-opted $2 million via Capitol Hill allocations, plus another $700,000 from Dept of HUD),
(2) The NY Carib News Foundation (organized financing for Rangels island-hopping luxe Caribbean trips),
(3) The Ann S. Kheel Charitable Trust---supposedly aids "disadvantaged neighborhoods" gave $440,000 to The Charles B. Rangel Center (the largest single donation in the charity's 4-year history). Theodore Kheel, Esq, VP of Grupo Punta Cana Operating Company, (mortgage holder on Rangels luxury villa), donated $17,000 to Rangel's congressional campaigns and $52,000 to a Rangel-run political action committee since 1990, federal filings show. (Ann Kheel is his late wife).
(4) The "tax-exempt Carib News Foundation" subsidized Rangels trips to luxury island resorts---perfect places to hide money from the taxman. The published list of known money-laundering havens includes Panama, the Bahamas, the Cayman Islands, the Cook Islands, Dominica, the Marshall Islands, Nauru, Niue, Panama, the Philippines, St. Kitts, Israel, and the Grenadines. Suspected tax havens include Cyprus, Gibraltar, Monaco, and Antigua.
Suspected tax fraud and tax law violations can be reported here
IRS TOLL-FREE 1-800-829-0433 (You may remain anonymous).
Ask the IRS to determine if taxes were paid (stolen money is taxable).
IRS TOLL-FREE 1-800-829-0433-you may remain anonymous when reporting tax fraud.
Report fiduciary negligence; signing off on falsified documents here:
FBI TIP PAGE http://tips.fbi.gov/ (you may remain anonymous)
Let's find out why this is not being highly publicized.
Rangle has nothing to worry about. The dems aren’t going to go after him and Repub’s don’t have the guts to say anything.
Why after all would any politicians support going after Rangle for the “perks” of office given the fact most all of them benefit in a similar manner?
And Rangel’s constituents will always vote him back into office “cuz he’s stickin it to da man”.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.