Free Republic
Browse · Search
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Army chaplain, doctor comfort survivors of Metro crash ^ | Sharon Renee Taylor

Posted on 06/26/2009 7:05:41 PM PDT by SandRat

WASHINGTON (Army News Service, June 26, 2009) -- Several Walter Reed Army Medical Center staffers survived the deadliest accident in Washington Metrorail's 33-year history Monday.

Maj. David Bottoms, a Walter Reed chaplain and Col. Thomas Baker, chief of pathology, said they were both riding in the first car of the train that slammed into another stopped train during Monday's rush-hour commute home.

"I was reading and listening to my iPod, and I noticed the front end of the car was buckling and it was coming toward us. It looked like a wave ... it stopped three seats in front of me ... I was praying then," Bottoms said.

Baker stood in the rear of the car. "It was very scary. Oh my God. It was a very surreal event," he said.

"I heard a loud boom, and the first portion of the car [of the stopped train] went up in the air," like a roller coaster, Baker said. "When the dust cleared, I saw the sky and the top of the train that we hit. There was no front of the train, no floor of the train of that one car."

Five cars behind Bottoms and Baker, Arlene Mitchell of Walter Reed's Medical Center Brigade Operations, rode in the last car of the train with two other Walter Reed staffers. Mitchell was not injured in the crash.

Baker suffered a bruised forearm and Bottoms remained unscathed.

The two officers reassured other passengers in that first train car immediately after the impact. Bottoms led the group in prayer.

"We had a moment where we were reminded of God's presence with us there," Bottoms said.

"The seats tumbled back into a big pile. We could hear someone yelling underneath them, but couldn't move the seats to get to her," Baker said.

Bottoms, an Anglican priest who just completed a year-long clinical pastoral education program at Walter Reed, tried to comfort the young woman trapped under the seats who was crying. He prayed with her.

"I talked with her, prayed with her and let her know that help was on the way, that we weren't going to leave her," he said. "In the Army chaplain program, we are trained to remain with the injured."

Bottoms said he was uncertain if the young woman made it; emergency responders cleared him and the other passengers out before she was removed from the wreckage. While Bottoms attended to the young woman, Baker comforted a young man crushed between two seats.

"He held my hand and wouldn't let go," Baker said. The pathologist said that he and Bottoms provided comfort care "for people we could see and hear. There was really nothing else I could do as a doctor."

According to Baker, it took 15 to 20 minutes for the first firefighter to get there and help them begin moving the pile of seats and release trapped passengers.

Baker arrived home around 8:30 Monday night. His co-workers checked in on the bachelor to ensure he was alright.

The physician said he usually leaves the office about 6 p.m., and catches the bus to his D.C. home, but Monday afternoon he left the office at 4:45 p.m., and decided to take Metro instead.

"Funny thing is, I was sitting in front of the car initially, right next to the conductor [who lost her life], but moved to stand by the door in the back of the car to catch the connecting train," Baker said.

The pathologist said he's not a very religious person and called himself very lucky. "It makes me think it was not my time," he said.

Baker wasn't the only Walter Reed staffer to narrowly escape death. Mitchell said she left work early on Monday and missed the train that ended up in the air. She caught the next with Bottoms and Baker, four minutes later.

"I always get in the last car," she said.

According to Mitchell, most Walter Reed personnel choose to ride in the first or "tail" car of the Red Line Metro train to make a quick exit out to catch their connecting trains. She said it was the grace of God that kept her alive.

"He allowed four more minutes to allow me to walk to the tail end of the train. That was his grace," said Mitchell.

(Sharon Renee Taylor writes for the Stripe newspaper at Walter Reed.)

TOPICS: Culture/Society; Foreign Affairs; Front Page News; US: District of Columbia; US: Maryland
KEYWORDS: chaplain; crash; dcmetro; doctor; metro; walterreed
Chaplain Bottoms

Photo credit Sharon Renee Taylor

Maj. David Bottoms, an Anglican chaplain who just completed a year-long clinical program at Walter Reed,
comforted survivors of Washington's Metrorail accident Monday and prayed with them immediately following the crash.

1 posted on 06/26/2009 7:05:42 PM PDT by SandRat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: SandRat

Thanks for posting that. A friend, now retired, was at the top of the food chain of the chaplaincy corps at the Pentagon. I’m sure this story interests him. The 9/11 plane that hit the Pentagon demolished his former office - which fortunately everyone had vacated as it was being remodeled at the time.

2 posted on 06/26/2009 7:20:59 PM PDT by BuckyKat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Huber; sionnsar

Anglican ping

3 posted on 06/26/2009 7:21:38 PM PDT by PAR35
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Comment #4 Removed by Moderator

To: SandRat


5 posted on 06/26/2009 8:19:19 PM PDT by RDTF ("I'm pretty sure this is a 2 man job once the shooting starts")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: ahadams2; x_plus_one; bastantebueno55; Needham; sc70; jpr_fire2gold; Tennessee Nana; QBFimi; ...
Thanks to PAR35 for the ping. (One of the priests in the Anglican PCK was in a somewhat similar situation in a train wreck in SoCal last year. Don't know where Fr. Bottoms is resident, but quite possibly ACC.)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Traditional Anglican ping, continued in memory of its founder Arlin Adams.

FReepmail Huber or sionnsar if you want on or off this low-volume ping list.
This list is pinged by Huber and sionnsar.

Resource for Traditional Anglicans:
Humor: The Anglican Blue

Speak the truth in love. Eph 4:15

6 posted on 06/26/2009 9:06:13 PM PDT by sionnsar (IranAzadi|5yst3m 0wn3d-it's N0t Y0ur5:SONY|Neda Agha-Soltan - murdered by illegitimate government)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: SandRat

It’s very fortunate that these men were there. It took Metro 30 minutes just to shut off the power to the third rail, and another 40 minutes to get EMS personnel into the most damaged cars. Not to hijack the thread, but there needs to be an investigation on the lack of speed to help the wounded.

7 posted on 06/26/2009 10:03:39 PM PDT by VanShuyten ("Do you call it 'unsound method'?" "No method at all," I murmured.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: VanShuyten
It took Metro 30 minutes just to shut off the power to the third rail,

Very good question, why?

8 posted on 06/27/2009 12:18:20 AM PDT by The_Media_never_lie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: SandRat


9 posted on 06/27/2009 5:41:35 AM PDT by BunnySlippers (I LOVE BULL MARKETS . . .)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: sionnsar

Thank God for those wonderful men...

10 posted on 06/27/2009 2:17:53 PM PDT by Tennessee Nana
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794 is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson