Skip to comments.Emanuel Cleaver Monthly Meeting
Posted on 08/05/2009 10:35:20 AM PDT by MSSC6644
Reminder: Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, 5th District, Missouri, will be holding his monthly "coffee." Here are the details:
COFFEE with CLEAVER
AUGUST 8, 2009
3390 SW Fascination Dr.
Lee's Summit, MO
Good luck with this, hope you find some to go with you. Just remember not to dress too nicely, or they will think you are part of an organized group. LOL..
Thanks for the encouragement. Weather here is so changeable, and that will determine what I wear. I have never attended one of these coffees, so I have no idea what to expect. I need to check to see if the address is a private home. Will do that now.
OK. Just checked. The location is right across the street (SW Longview Rd) from the campus of Longview Community College. There’s lots of parking and room to stand around holding signs. Does anyone out there know the area?
Thanks, Jeff. I’ve already sent this information to my entire e-mail list. I wonder if anyone has turned me in to the WH.
I’m passing this info on to about 200 locals... I can’t go because of another engagement. I wish you the best. The area is nice btw...
I can’t mapquest it right now, so I’m not positive about the location. Be sure to look at it with a street view on the maps. (I love that feature) when I read “across from longview”, I was there not to long ago... they have developed the area very nice.
Thanks, Kim, for sending this to the area people. I wanted to do that, but I didn’t know how. I’ve been here (FR) for a while, and I do post to a thread every so often, but it’s been a long time since I actually put something up. I wish you could be there. Would love to meet you.
I wish I could go and that we could meet too! I met Barker @ a protest against Gore downtown kc with 2 of my kids. :). Barker is very nice. I don’t know if anyone from the 200+ will show up...but am putting the word out.
Thanks. I’ll try to keep this at the top, so more people can see it.
Did you add it to the missouri board? That might help. I could have missed it if you did. Multitasking here :)
Hey, I’ll add a link to here @ the missouri board.
Rep. Kratovil hanged in effigy (pic)
There's been a lot of media coverage about organized mobs intimidating lawmakers, disrupting town halls, and silencing real discussion about the need for real health insurance reform.
The truth is, it's a sham. These "grassroots protests" are being organized and largely paid for by Washington special interests and insurance companies who are desperate to block reform. They're trying to use lies and fear to break the President and his agenda for change.
Health insurance reform is about our lives, our jobs, and our families -- we can't let distortions and intimidation get in the way. We need to expose these outrageous tactics, and we're counting on you to help. Can you read these "5 facts about the anti-reform mobs," then pass them along to your friends and family?
1. These disruptions are being funded and organized by out-of-district special-interest groups and insurance companies who fear that health insurance reform could help Americans, but hurt their bottom line. A group run by the same folks who made the "Swiftboat" ads against John Kerry is compiling a list of congressional events in August to disrupt. An insurance company coalition has stationed employees in 30 states to track where local lawmakers hold town-hall meetings.
2. People are scared because they are being fed frightening lies. These crowds are being riled up by anti-reform lies being spread by industry front groups that invent smears to tarnish the President's plan and scare voters. But as the President has repeatedly said, health insurance reform will create more health care choices for the American people, not reduce them. If you like your insurance or your doctor, you can keep them, and there is no "government takeover" in any part of any plan supported by the President or Congress.
3. Their actions are getting more extreme. Texas protesters brought signs displaying a tombstone for Rep. Lloyd Doggett and using the "SS" symbol to compare President Obama's policies to Nazism. Maryland Rep. Frank Kratovil was hanged in effigy outside his district office. Rep. Tim Bishop of New York had to be escorted to his car by police after an angry few disrupted his town hall meeting -- and more examples like this come in every day. And they have gone beyond just trying to derail the President's health insurance reform plans, they are trying to "break" the President himself and ruin his Presidency.
4. Their goal is to disrupt and shut down legitimate conversation. Protesters have routinely shouted down representatives trying to engage in constructive dialogue with voters, and done everything they can to intimidate and silence regular people who just want more information. One attack group has even published a manual instructing protesters to "stand up and shout" and try to "rattle" lawmakers to prevent them from talking peacefully with their constituents.
5. Republican leadership is irresponsibly cheering on the thuggish crowds. Republican House Minority Leader John Boehner issued a statement applauding and promoting a video of the disruptions and looking forward to "a long, hot August for Democrats in Congress."
It's time to expose this charade, before it gets more dangerous. Please send these facts to everyone you know. You can also post them on your website, blog, or Facebook page.
Now, more than ever, we need to stand strong together and defend the truth.
Jen O'Malley Dillon
Democratic National Committee
We need to police these things... the people hanging effigies are obviously agitators. If you see similar thug-shenanigans at your rally, take pictures and get plate numbers of the perps. This idiot in Maryland was never identified by anyone, while the actual protesters were perfectly willing to speak their mind and put their names to their words.
The liars are scared to death and they're going to do everything they can to sabotage these events. Keep your guard up.
I just realized this is on Saturday morning. I know a lot of us have very busy Saturdays, but I’m praying some have three hours (travel, etc.) to spend at this “coffee.”
When and where do I get paid? LOL
I hope the questions won’t be soft.. I think cleaver has had it easy so far. He needs some tough questions.
Now you’ve given me an idea. We should make sure all the questions we want answered are at least asked. Would you be interested in helping me put together a list of questions that we might pass out to those who come if they don’t have their own?
bttt — hey, where are all the KC folks?
Well, nuts. Now I'll have to behave Saturday. Unless there is a major emergency I'll be there. Will be wearing a red t-shirt with an American flag on it.
I work in Lee's Summit so may drive by there tomorrow evening.
Kim, the street view of my house was taken on a Friday a year ago last April. Thursday is trash day and the container was still at the end of the drive. Only one still out. My sign protesting the condition of Greenwood streets was in the front yard. LOL
Just checking back to see if anyone had responded. So happy you’ll be there. If you can bring anyone with you, please do. Looking forward to meeting you.
Hope others are coming on Saturday
Kim, please do copy the Missouri list as I don’t know how to do that. Sorry. Thanks for all your help. Off to bed. Will be back tomorrow afternoon.
i wish i could go, but then again, they would be dragging me away in cuffs.
This is Cleaver’s only meeting with his constituents this recess. So far, just two freepers say they will be there, and I’m one of them. This is pitiful. We, as a nation, are on the edge of disaster. HELP!!!!
Please let me know if you plan on attending the following event. I’ll go alone, but I’d love some company.
Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, 5th District, Missouri, will be holding his monthly “coffee.” Here are the details:
COFFEE with CLEAVER
AUGUST 8, 2009 8-10 AM
3390 SW Fascination Dr.
Lee’s Summit, MO
This is right across the street from Longview Community College. Please attend. Thanks.
Low volume ping list
FReepmail me to be on, or off, this list.
I will try to be there but cannot make any guarantees as I'm just coming off hernia surgery this week.
Looking forward to meeting you, Joe. But do take care of yourself first.
Don’t think you’ll be alone! DarlaJ has been talking about it on her program on KMBZ(980-AM) and it has been listed in the KC Tea Party site, although it was not on there this morning-hmmmm. I’m getting ready and will be there at the appointed hour.
I’m so embarrassed because now I won’t be there. When I woke up this morning, there was no water! We had a main break last evening that was just fixed — I have no water to speak of. I’m so upset (I wanted to write something a little stronger, but you never know who’s going to be reading what you write. LOL)
Please let me know how it all went.
Well, no wonder Barker and I couldn’t find you! Not having any idea what you look like didn’t help. There were a good 300-350 people there, and Cleaver was giving those who had filled out a ~paper~ 3 minutes a piece. Even though he stayed ‘til almost eleven, that meant way less than 100 people got to speak to him. He didn’t address the crowd, and most had gone by the time he left the coffee shop.
The crowd looked evenly split between the two sides. Our side had the hand-lettered signs, while the other side had the printed signs. Some heated discussions broke out but there were no fisticuffs.
Next time we’ll have to get more coordinated!
LSAggie (posting on hubby’s account)
Thank you so very much for letting me know what happened. Our water did not return until just a few minutes ago — just before 1:00 p.m. Did you get to ask any questions? Did anyone film the event? Will any of us who were there post an update?
Took some pictures and a little video and will try to get them up sometime today.
Weasel Cleaver wouldn’t face us directly. Hid behind the one-on-one format. The coffee shop was small and packed by 7:30. Chanels 5, 9 and 41 were there that I saw.
There was one arrest but it was for a traffic violation. Crowd seemed good natured for the most part. As LSAggie said there were a few heated discussions.
Talked to several nice people and told them about FR. Talked to a couple of not so nice ones too. Shook hands with a Patriot Guard Rider and thanked him for what they do.