Skip to comments.Obama makes moral case for health reform
Posted on 08/19/2009 4:33:55 PM PDT by SJackson
WASHINGTON President Barack Obama Wednesday said America, as the world's richest nation, had a moral duty to offer health care to everyone, in a fresh bid to bolster support for his top domestic priority.
Obama addressed thousands of people in a call with left-leaning religious faith leaders, as the White House tried to still disquiet among liberals, and fierce opposition among Republicans, to his under-fire health care plan.
"The one thing you all share, is a moral conviction, you know, that this debate over health care goes to the heart of who we are as a people," said Obama.
"I believe that nobody in America should be denied basic health care because he or she lacks health insurance," Obama said, after calling into a webcast including clergy and believers of Evangelical, Protestant, Catholic and Jewish orders.
"No one in America should be pushed to the edge of financial ruin because an insurance company denies them coverage," Obama said.
Obama hit out at what he branded "fabrications" whipped up by opponents of his policy, including claims that it would expand abortions, give health care to illegal immigrants and ration end-of-life care.
"These are all fabrications that have been put out there in order to discourage people from meeting what I consider to be a core ethical and moral obligation.
"That is that we look out for one another, that I am my brother's keeper and I am my sister's keeper," Obama said, using a phrase drawn from the Bible.
(Excerpt) Read more at google.com ...
THE BLACK VALUE SYSTEM
Trinity United Church of Christ adopted the Black Value System, written by the Manford Byrd Recognition Committee, chaired by the late Vallmer Jordan in 1981.
Dr. Manford Byrd, our brother in Christ, withstood the ravage of being denied his earned ascension to the number one position in the Chicago School System. His dedication to the pursuit of excellence, despite systematic denials, has inspired the congregation of Trinity United Church of Christ. Prayerfully, we have called upon the wisdom of all past generations of suffering Blacks for guidance in fashioning an instrument of Black self-determination, the Black Value System.
Beginning in 1982, an annual Black Value System - Educational Scholarship in the name of Dr. Byrd was instituted. The first recipient of the Dr. Manford Byrd Award, which is given annually to the man or woman who best exemplifies the Black Value System, was our brother, Dr. Manford Byrd.
These Black Ethics must be taught and exemplified in homes, churches, nurseries and schools, wherever Blacks are gathered. They consist of the following concepts:
You have no more a moral obligation to provide health care to others than you have to provide them anything else. You have no moral obligation to give a robber the money in your wallet. You have no moral obligation to provide valuable items to someone who burgles your house. You have no moral obligation to provide an income to the Ponzi-scheme operators of the world, or the “419” Nigerian scammers. You are not anyone’s slave, and cannot morally be forced to work for the benefit of those who’d rather live off the money you pay in taxes. Morally, it’s just theft.
The Devil quotes scripture, again.
Oh great! The most immoral POTUS ever has the gall to sermonize us on what is right.
Stick to what you do best, i.e. pathological lying, you damn demon from hell!
Yes. The millions of dead and dying people in the street whom don’t have insurance is a blight on the moral standing of this country.
he who would let babies die preaching about morals. I wish I could spit in his face.
True, but the biggest robbers are in Washington D.C. and they simply legislate our money out of our wallets with each new entitlement they pass.
Theft by any other name is still THEFT.
I hope I don’t run into those millions of dead and dying on my drive home from work.
Okay, I am perplexed.
With global warming, Al Gore declared it was a “moral issue”.
With health care, Obama calls it a moral issue.
But on issues such as abortion or same-sex marriage, the liberals lecture us that “you can’t legislate morality”, or to “don’t impose your morals on everyone else”.
So, my main conclusion is that the liberals will use morality and religious faith guidelines IF they can be used in support of a liberal agenda. But, if anyone talks about morality in relation to traditional values or marriage or abortion, the liberals tells us that morality has no place in politics.
I will never understand the liberal mind.
How should God approve that we take money from Peter, and give this robbery to Paul, in the name of Christ?
Individuals engage in Moral acts
There can be no compulsion in moral acts
They are freely entered into
with personal consequences
Governments act by forced taking
Taxation is taking under compulsion
threat of imprisonment / loss of property
The best government can achieve is Prudence
Obama is a liar. Every state in the Union requires by law that no patient can be turned away for treatment from any Hospital base on their non-ability to pay.
I agree completely. Great reply!
Very well said!
Tell them to get off their lazy asses and be responsible for THEMSELVES (and, while they're at it, how about the FATHERS of all the tramps, aka, "single moms", fessing up and paying for their kids?)
This is virtually impossible. It's being tried in the UK and Canada. Look at what's happened there. Not everyone gets health care when they need it.
My advice is to not try and quote the bible when you obviously don't know what you are talking about.
I have to be honest and stop you right there. I know you will agree that not ‘all’ single moms are tramps or live off the government. You probably did not mean it that way.
Single moms who work twice as hard and do everything they can for their children are a class all of their own, I am sure no one will deny that. My mother was a single mom who brought my sister and I to this country “LEGALLY” all by herself, I was 10 and my sister was 12 when she brought us here living on her own, and working harder with her degree than any other person I am sure to ever meet. It is people like my hard working mom and every other mom and dad out there who do everything legally, by the book and with all the effort they can muster who deserve better than the crap Obambi is shoveling our way.
The Black Value System is still on the website of the Trinity United Church of Christ at
Does anyone know if it was there during the election? The occupant of the WH sat in this black Church for 20 years that advocated and still does advocate The Black Value System and our MSM totally ignored this during the election.
The hippies of the 60s believed that everyone should share....but since they made a point of not working this really meant that those who work and accumulate the necessities are obligated to “share” with those who like to sit on their butts while someone else provides for them.
Right then if that is the case all the money he and the wife throw around on vacations should really be going to the poor for health care. Do as I say and not as I do.
Yes, it was there, but they pulled it off their home page, you had to look for it.
I was there at the time; "share" was what you did to get in any pair of pants you could, preaching "free love" and "peace" (or was it "piece")?
Now, having squandered the opportunities to excel and/or be productive, you scream, name-call, preach political correctness, etc., so everyone can have "a piece of the pie", that someone else bakes!
I was there too but I suppose I saw it slightly differently since I’m a female...LOL
The term "single mom" is used universally today, so as not to offend certain tramps, and worse, as opposed to referring to women without husbands legitimately being widows and divorcees.
Those who PURPOSELY become today's "single moms" do so to take advantage of handouts from the government, and in a certain ethnic community, this is the 4th generation of such conduct.
In no way is there a similarity between those groups, but in order not to offend the lesser, we have the terminology changed to be the all-inclusive "single mom".
You have to know where to look to find it now too. The link is on the page with pictures of their ministers.
Wonder what some voters would have thought if this was out in the open during the campaign instead of hidden when he threw Rev Wright under the bus.
Good for you !
We are a congregation which is Unashamedly White and Unapologetically Christian... Our roots in the White religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent. We are an European people, and remain "true to our native land," the mother continent, the cradle of civilization. God has superintended our pilgrimage through the days of slavery, the days of segregation, and the long night of racism. It is God who gives us the strength and courage to continuously address injustice as a people, and as a congregation. We constantly affirm our trust in God through cultural expression of a White worship service and ministries which address the White Community.
The Pastor as well as the membership of Mystery Church is committed to a 10-point Vision:
1. A congregation committed to ADORATION.
2. A congregation preaching SALVATION.
3. A congregation actively seeking RECONCILIATION.
4. A congregation with a non-negotiable COMMITMENT TO EUROPE.
5. A congregation committed to BIBLICAL EDUCATION.
6. A congregation committed to CULTURAL EDUCATION.
7. A congregation committed to the HISTORICAL EDUCATION OF EUROPEAN PEOPLE IN DIASPORA.
8. A congregation committed to LIBERATION.
9. A congregation committed to RESTORATION.
10. A congregation working towards ECONOMIC PARITY.
Click here to read about Dr. ???s talking points for ??? Christ its Web site and the White Value System.
THE WHITE VALUE SYSTEM
??? Church adopted the White Value System, written by the Manford Byrd Recognition Committee, chaired by the late Vallmer Jordan in 1981.
Dr. Manford Byrd, our brother in Christ, withstood the ravage of being denied his earned ascension to the number one position in the Chicago School System. His dedication to the pursuit of excellence, despite systematic denials, has inspired the congregation of Trinity United Church of Christ. Prayerfully, we have called upon the wisdom of all past generations of suffering Whites for guidance in fashioning an instrument of White self-determination, the White Value System.
Beginning in 1982, an annual White Value System Educational Scholarship in the name of Dr. Byrd was instituted. The first recipient of the Dr. Manford Byrd Award, which is given annually to the man or woman who best exemplifies the White Value System, was our brother, Dr. Manford Byrd.
These White Ethics must be taught and exemplified in homes, churches, nurseries and schools, wherever Whites are gathered. They consist of the following concepts:
1. Commitment to God. The God of our weary years will give us the strength to give up prayerful passivism and become White Christian Activists, soldiers for White freedom and the dignity of all humankind.
2. Commitment to the White Community. The highest level of achievement for any White person must be a contribution of strength and continuity of the White Community.
3. Commitment to the White Family. The White family circle must generate strength, stability and love, despite the uncertainty of externals, because these characteristics are required if the developing person is to withstand warping by our racist competitive society.
Those Whites who are blessed with membership in a strong family unit must reach out and expand that blessing to the less fortunate.
4. Dedication to the Pursuit of Education. We must forswear anti-intellectualism. Continued survival demands that each White person be developed to the utmost of his/her mental potential despite the inadequacies of the formal education process. Real education fosters understanding of ourselves as well as every aspect of our environment. Also, it develops within us the ability to fashion concepts and tools for better utilization of our resources, and more effective solutions to our problems. Since the majority of Whites have been denied such learning, White Education must include elements that produce high school graduates with marketable skills, a trade or qualifications for apprenticeships, or proper preparation for college.
Basic education for all Whites should include Mathematics, Science, Logic, General Semantics, Participative Politics, Economics and Finance, and the Care and Nurture of White minds.
5. Dedication to the Pursuit of Excellence. To the extent that we individually reach for, even strain for excellence, we increase, geometrically, the value and resourcefulness of the White Community. We must recognize the relativity of ones best; this years best can be bettered next year. Such is the language of growth and development. We must seek to excel in every endeavor.
6. Adherence to the White Work Ethic. It is becoming harder to find qualified people to work in Chicago. Whether this is true or not, it represents one of the many reasons given by businesses and industries for deserting the Chicago area. We must realize that a location with good facilities, adequate transportation and a reputation for producing skilled workers will attract industry. We are in competition with other cities, states and nations for jobs. High productivity must be a goal of the White workforce.
7. Commitment to Self-Discipline and Self-Respect. To accomplish anything worthwhile requires self-discipline. We must be a community of self-disciplined persons if we are to actualize and utilize our own human resources, instead of perpetually submitting to exploitation by others. Self-discipline, coupled with a respect for self, will enable each of us to be an instrument of White Progress and a model for White Youth.
8. Disavowal of the Pursuit of Middleclassness. Classic methodology on control of captives teaches that captors must be able to identify the talented tenth of those subjugated, especially those who show promise of providing the kind of leadership that might threaten the captors control.
Those so identified are separated from the rest of the people by:
1. Killing them off directly, and/or fostering a social system that encourages them to kill off one another.
2. Placing them in concentration camps, and/or structuring an economic environment that induces captive youth to fill the jails and prisons.
3. Seducing them into a socioeconomic class system which, while training them to earn more dollars, hypnotizes them into believing they are better than others and teaches them to think in terms of we and they instead of us.
4. So, while it is permissible to chase middleclassness with all our might, we must avoid the third separation method the psychological entrapment of White middleclassness. If we avoid this snare, we will also diminish our voluntary contributions to methods A and B. And more importantly, White people no longer will be deprived of their birthright: the leadership, resourcefulness and example of their own talented persons.
9. Pledge to Make the Fruits of All Developing and Acquired Skills Available to the White Community.
10. Pledge to Allocate Regularly, a Portion of Personal Resources for Strengthening and Supporting White Institutions.
11. Pledge Allegiance to All White Leadership Who Espouse and Embrace the White Value System.
12. Personal Commitment to Embracement of the White Value System. To measure the worth and validity of all activity in terms of positive contributions to the general welfare of the White Community and the Advancement of White People towards freedom.
Notice how he said “no one in America” rather than “no American”.
Must... Control... Myself...
Too many witty repartees
Yeah right. Took REAL good care of his Hawaiian grandmother, takes REAL good care of his nearly-deported Aunt, and takes REAL good care of his African half-brother living in 'hut sweet hut'. Pre-White-Crib, didn't Barry and Michelle-Omarosa only give a fraction of a percentage of their total income to charity?
Missed that. :>)
The principal problem in reflecting 0bama’s rhetoric and beliefs back onto him is that there is no image seen.
Get the garlic.
Yes. Given the accusations of the last few weeks thrown at American citizens opposed to his plan, a lesson on slander is more important.
We need a photo of zero getting into AF1 to go next to this photo.
What a #%$king hypocrite. Typical liberal - wants to force all of us to “donate” so he get off cheaper .... and he is obviously really cheap.
Politicians know this to be true and an independent public is a danger to their tenure.
So Mr. 0, when the government has taken all that I have and fails to help my "neighbor" how do I then "look out" for my neighbor? What Mr. 0 fails to see is, I can do more with what I have in helping my "neighbor" than he and his government minions could ever think of doing to help my "neighbor."
I only have one brother and he ain't among Obambi's flock of common theives.
Could you have imagined the uproar of the media if the situation was reversed. The MSM made sure this did not see the light of day during the election so their ‘hero’ Obama could be elected.
McCain would have been tarred and feathered and had to withdraw his name IMHO!
Yes — I hit something like 18 dead and dying uninsured individuals during my morning commute today. I felt bad about it. I’m thinking about changing my stance on government healthcare.
problem here is... i am MORALLY OPPOSED to the fedgov usurping power from the citizens and forcing taxes on us to provide goods for private citizens.
taxes are for the general good. if they can ever refuse a treatment i request, then that is not general good but a private good... and is specifically not allowed with within the Constitution
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.