Skip to comments.The Last of The Kennedy Dynasty
Posted on 08/22/2009 6:00:29 AM PDT by IbJensen
As soon as his cancer was detected, I noticed the immediate attempt at the canonization of old Teddy Kennedy by the mainstream media. They are saying what a "great American" he is. I say, let's get a couple things clear and not twist the facts to change the real history:
1. He was caught cheating at Harvard when he attended it. He was expelled twice, once for cheating on a test, and once for paying a classmate to cheat for him.
2. While expelled, Kennedy enlisted in the Army, but mistakenly signed up for four years instead of two. Oops! The man can't count to four! His father, Joseph P. Kennedy, former U.S. Ambassador to England (a step up from bootlegging liquor into the US from Canada during prohibition), pulled the necessary strings to have his enlistment shortened to two years, and to ensure that he served in Europe, not Korea , where a war was raging. No preferential treatment for him! (like he charged that President Bush received).
3. Kennedy was assigned to Paris , never advanced beyond the rank of Private, and returned to Harvard upon being discharged. Imagine a person of his "education" NEVER advancing past the rank of Private!
4. While attending law school at the University of Virginia , he was cited for reckless driving four times, including once when he was clocked driving 90 miles per hour in a residential neighborhood with his headlights off after dark. Yet his Virginia driver's license was never revoked.. Coincidentally, he passed the bar exam in 1959. Amazing!
5. In 1964, he was seriously injured in a plane crash, and hospitalized for several months. Test results done by the hospital at the time he was admitted had shown he was legally intoxicated. The results of those tests remained a "state secret" until in the 1980's when the report was unsealed.. Didn't hear about that from the unbiased media, did we?
6. On July 19, 1969, Kennedy attended a party on Chappaquiddick Island in Massachusetts . At about 11:00 PM, he borrowed his chauffeur's keys to his Oldsmobile limousine, and offered to give a ride home to Mary Jo Kopechne, a campaign worker. Leaving the island via an unlit bridge with no guard rail, Kennedy steered the car off the bridge, flipped, and into Poucha Pond..
7. He swam to shore and walked back to the party, passing several houses and a fire station. Two friends then returned with him to the scene of the accident. According to their later testimony, they told him what he already knew - that he was required by law to immediately report the accident to the authorities. Instead, Kennedy made his way to his hotel, called his lawyer, and went to sleep. Kennedy called the police the next morning and by then the wreck had already been discovered. Before dying, Kopechne had scratched at the upholstered floor above her head in the upside-down car.
The Kennedy family began "calling in favors", ensuring that any inquiry would be contained. Her corpse was whisked out-of-state to her family, before an autopsy could be conducted. Further details are uncertain, but after the accident Kennedy says he repeatedly dove under the water trying to rescue Kopechne and he didn't call police because he was in a state of shock.
It is widely assumed Kennedy was drunk, and he held off calling police in hopes that his family could fix the problem overnight. Since the accident, Kennedy's "political enemies" have referred to him as the distinguished Senator from Chappaquiddick. He pled guilty to leaving the scene of an accident, and was given a SUSPENDED SENTENCE OF TWO MONTHS.
Kopechne's family received a small pay out from the Kennedy's insurance policy, and never sued. There was later an effort to have her body exhumed and autopsied, but her family successfully fought against this in court, and Kennedy's family paid their attorney's bills... a "token of friendship"?
8. Kennedy has held his Senate seat for more than forty years, but considering his longevity, his accomplishments seem scant. He authored or argued for legislation that ensured a variety of civil rights, increased the minimum wage in 1981, made access to health care easier for the indigent, and funded Meals on Wheels for fixed-income seniors and is widely held as the "standard-bearer for liberalism". In his very first Senate roll, he was the floor manager for the bill that turned U.S. immigration policy upside down and opened the floodgate for immigrants from third world countries.
9. Since that time, he has been the prime instigator and author of every expansion of an increase in immigration, up to and including the latest attempt to grant amnesty to illegal aliens. Not to mention the pious grilling he gave the last two Supreme Court nominees, as if he was the standard bearer for the nation in matters of whats right". What a pompous ass!
10. He is known around Washington as a public drunk, loud, boisterous and very disrespectful to ladies. JERK is a better description than "great American". A blonde in every pond is his motto.
Let's not allow the spin doctors to make this jerk a hero -- how quickly the American public forgets what his real legacy is. Lets keep this going for truth, justice and the American way .
Ask MaryJo what she thinks of the sleaze that left in that car to die.
If all of what you’ve written is true (and I’m certainly not doubting you), this guys is something else. But what’s more unbelievable is how complicit so many others have been in covering some many very sinister acts.
And in what may be a final act of hypocrisy, we find out just this week that he wants the Massachusettes law changed such that the governor (currently a dem) can immediately appoint a new senator upon his death. Yet we are reminded that it was he who opposed such a law when Romney was governor (when John Fn Kerry was running for POTUS)!
These Kennedys are just unbelievable!
not a Kennedy born that I would trust with anything.
dont even mention JFK, he was still a democrat.. they all suck sewer spill
You left out the part about him cavorting about Palm Beach with his nephew William Kennedy Smith, his escapade with “Senator” Dodd and the waitress and much more. Watch for Howie Carr’s retrospective in the Boston Herald; it should be a doozy.
The quality of ‘character’ of the ENTIRE Kennedy family is so morally stochastic, it must be genetic.
40 years in the senate and he’ll be remembered as the least of the 3 brothers.
Kennedy is the scum of the earth, plus some.
And how about the “waitress sandwich” on the restaurant floor with Sen. Dodd. In most of America, any Kennedy would not be invited to a back yard barbeque out of consideration to other decent guests.
luckly he still has it in him, he swam to safety.
Kennedy should have been a bartender somewhere
I’d rather be hunting with Dick than driving with Ted
At Chappaquiddick, he had a suspended drivers license and was not legally allowed to drive.
The air plane crash occurred when he asked his fathers pilots to fly his fathers plane to Worchester, and they refused because of the weather/fog. He called around and found another pilot and aircraft willing to take the charter. The pilot was killed. So, in a why, Ted was the critical actor in yet another transportation death.
11. Ted Kennedy, partnering with Chris Dodd, forced research into the carcinogen properties of the “Waitress Sandwich”. Both seemed to have contracted cancer after “consumption”.
I was aquatinted w/ a man who served in many capacities in MA govt (mostly in the exec branch). In our conversations Ted’s name came up and the only thing he had to say was basically the guy is a drunk and doesn’t care to hide it. In 40+ yrs of public service all he’s know for is being a boozer. It says a lot about the people of MA who continued elected him and a press that refused to look into his dismal performance.
The day after Ted killed Mary Jo Kopechne, the Boston Globe ran a front page fluff piece in Ted, with a huge picture of him giving his mother a boquet of roses. I didn’t know which was more loathsome, Ted or the Globe.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.