Skip to comments.Parents upset over 'leftist propaganda' video
Posted on 09/03/2009 6:45:35 AM PDT by cwac
Parents upset over 'leftist propaganda' video
By Lisa Schencker
A school principal has apologized for showing a video at an assembly that a politically conservative group leader is calling "radical, leftist propaganda."
Children at Eagle Bay Elementary School in Farmington were shown a short video called "I pledge" on Aug. 28. The video opens with an image of President Barack Obama and part of a speech in which he says, "Let us summon a new spirit of patriotism, of responsibility where each of us resolves to pitch in and work harder and look after not only ourselves but each other." The video then features celebrities making pledges about how they will help the president and the world -- and that's where some say the problem lies.
Many pledges, such as supporting local food banks,smiling more, and caring for the elderly are noncontroversial. But other pledges, such as "to never give anyone the finger when I'm driving again," "to sell my obnoxious car and buy a hybrid" and to advance stem cell research cross the line, some say.
"Showing the video in a public school is completely inappropriate," said Jennifer Cieslewicz, whose daughter is a first-grader at the school. "I don't believe a video such as this that promotes certain values should be shown to elementary students, especially without parents being aware. "
Chris Williams, Davis School District spokesman, said school principal Ofelia Wade and school PTA leaders decided to show the video as part of an assembly about the school's theme for the year, service. He said the PTA board chose the video and Wade did not see it before it was shown in the assembly.
"It got to a point where she turned to her assistant and said, 'Oops, I wish I would have seen this before. I don't think I would have shown it,' " Williams said. He said Wade could see how some adults might find the video political.
"She acknowledges she was wrong and apologizes for it and says she's sorry," Williams said. Attempts to reach school PTA leaders Tuesday
Williams said Wade plans to send a letter home to parents Wednesday about the issue.
Gayle Ruzicka, president of conservative Utah Eagle Forum, said the video was blatantly political. She said other offensive pledges included, "I pledge to be of service to Barack Obama," "I pledge allegiance to the funk, to the united funk of funkadelica," and pledges to not use plastic grocery bags and not flush the toilet after urinating.
"It's very inappropriate to show a radical, leftist propaganda piece that political to children," Ruzicka said. "If parents want their children to learn about those things and do them in the home, wonderful, fine, but it's not the place of the school to show a one-sided propaganda piece to children without parents knowing about it."
Cieslewicz said such values should be decided in the home, not at school.
"They shouldn't be troubling our youth with the woes of the world and making them feel like we're in slavery or they have to worry about how many times they flush the toilet or if they have a plastic water bottle," Cieslewicz said, referring to pledges in the video to "end slavery."
Ruzicka said she contacted local media about the video after receiving complaints from several parents. Ruzicka said she worried the video's messages would confuse children whose parents might choose to use plastic bags when shopping or who want their children to flush the toilet after every use. Also she said she didn't like a pledge "to be of service to Barack Obama" as he is here to serve Americans, not the other way around.
Ruzicka said she'd like to see the school district send a link to the video to all parents before an upcoming back-to-school night so they can voice their opinions and discuss it with their children. Williams said it's unlikely the district will send out a link, but parents are welcome to access the video on YouTube
To work until the Socialist/Progressives are out of gov. office.
To donate money, time, to the effort of retaking Congress and
the White House, until Main Stream America is represented again!
Good starter link here
That video in loaded with leftist propaganda.
A pledge to Obama! Pure Obamaganda!
GM, isn't that Obama motors?
“I pledge allegiance to the funk, to the united funk of funkadelica,”
I can get behind that one. If only you tell me how.
He is in for a rude awakening!
this needs to be challenged in court...it has to be in violation of the constitution....
Even my most liberal friends are going nuts over this.
Strange when your kids are involved how different ‘things’ become.
It is my hope, it finally wakes them up.
ya with billions of us tax dollars.....we need this story out there
As for the indoctrination aspect of it, this is nothing compared to what kids are getting in the public schools on a daily basis -- leftism, environmentalism, Gaia-worship, a whole slew of cultural sewage.
It’s easier to say ‘sorry’ than ask permission first.
Agreed. I’ve been calling him a Chavista this entire time. He does all of it exactly the same way.
I am more than willing to fight the so called “poor” in this country when the time comes, unlike the unfortunate middle class in Venezuela. I am prepared.
Hail to the fuhrer!Hail to the fuhrer!Hail to the fuhrer!
As a diehard long-suffering Eagles fan, I must say that Michael Strahan’s two pledges were rather impressive.
It’s more important to get people on our side than it is to fight for now. All Obama needs is an incident to pull the string.
Heck they may even gin one up.
I heard it for the first time today on the radio while listening to Rick & Bubba. Seems it was produced by Demi Moore. YUCK. I was taking my 12 year old to school and turned the volume completely down until he was out of the car. I couldn’t believe some of the stupid pledges, especially the flush one, the slavery one just mention a few . . . I missed most of it thankfully. Argh
It's easy y'all. Just dig this;
Now this is what I want you all to do:
If you got faults, defects or shortcomings,
You know, like arthritis, rheumatism or migraines,
Whatever part of your body it is,
I want you to lay it on your radio, let the vibes flow through.
Funk not only moves, it can re-move, dig?
The desired effect is what you get
When you improve your Interplanetary Funksmanship.
Sir Lollipop Man! Chocolate coated, freaky and and habit forming.
Doin' it to you in 3-D,
So groovy that I dig me.
Once upon a time called Now!
Somebody say, "Is there funk after death?"
I say, "Is Seven Up?"
- - Parliament - "P.Funk (Wants To Get Funked Up)"
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
The Salt Lake Tribune is a leftist paper read by leftists. and those who are interested in the leftist mindset. The articles are only the beginning, as the comments on articles are far more enlightening as to the liberal, communist, oppressive, Statist ability to parse the language and manipulate the comments of conservatives to suit their agenda.
The following is a really tame example of pretzel rhetoric of the more than 49 pages of comments on this particular article in the paper. Forty nine pages of comments means it really got to the oppressors that parents had the audacity to complain about something they had every right to complain about.
name redacted by wita: 9/1/2009 9:02:00 PM
I hope the school district will take up RuziKKKa’s final suggestion: have an evening where parents debate the ideas raised in this video:
1. Is it good for Americans to conserve resources (e.g. buy a fuel-efficient vehicle)?
2. Is it good for Americans to show respect for other people (e.g. not give them the finger)?
3. Is it good for Americans to heal the sick (e.g. by supporting stem-cell research and its many medical benefits)?
Apparently some of these Davis County parents would say “no” to all of the above. In their value system, it’s good to waste precious resources, to disrespect other people, and to have no compassion for people with health problems. Hopefully, they would be outnumbered by the many people who reflect longstanding American ideals of charity, service, and Christian brotherhood.
If compassion, respect, and conservation are “leftist propaganda,” I’m more than ever PROUD to be a leftist!
wita again, Gayle Ruzicka is the Eagle Forum head in UT. and receives voluminous crap whenever her name is mentioned in an article. I only read one page of comments out of the 49, and her name was mentioned in 6 out of ten comments always negatively.
>>Even my most liberal friends are going nuts over this.
Strange when your kids are involved how different things become.
It is my hope, it finally wakes them up.<<
Communist Goals - 1963 Congressional Record
Culture/Society Miscellaneous Keywords: COMMUNISM
Source: Congressional Record—Appendix, pp. A34-A35
Published: Jan 10, 1963 Author: “The Naked Communist,” by Cleon Skousen
Posted on 09/24/1999 11:21:44 PDT by dls442
Communist Goals (1963)
Congressional Record—Appendix, pp. A34-A35
January 10, 1963
Current Communist Goals
EXTENSION OF REMARKS OF HON. A. S. HERLONG, JR. OF FLORIDA
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
Thursday, January 10, 1963
Mr. HERLONG. Mr. Speaker, Mrs. Patricia Nordman of De Land, Fla., is an ardent and articulate opponent of communism, and until recently published the De Land Courier, which she dedicated to the purpose of alerting the public to the dangers of communism in America.
At Mrs. Nordman’s request, I include in the RECORD, under unanimous consent, the following “Current Communist Goals,” which she identifies as an excerpt from “The Naked Communist,” by Cleon Skousen:
[From “The Naked Communist,” by Cleon Skousen]
CURRENT COMMUNIST GOALS
1. U.S. acceptance of coexistence as the only alternative to atomic war.
2. U.S. willingness to capitulate in preference to engaging in atomic war.
3. Develop the illusion that total disarmament of the United States would be a demonstration of moral strength.
4. Permit free trade between all nations regardless of Communist affiliation and regardless of whether or not items could be used for war.
5. Extension of long-term loans to Russia and Soviet satellites.
6. Provide American aid to all nations regardless of Communist domination.
7. Grant recognition of Red China. Admission of Red China to the U.N.
8. Set up East and West Germany as separate states in spite of Khrushchev’s promise in 1955 to settle the German question by free elections under supervision of the U.N.
9. Prolong the conferences to ban atomic tests because the United States has agreed to suspend tests as long as negotiations are in progress.
10. Allow all Soviet satellites individual representation in the U.N.
11. Promote the U.N. as the only hope for mankind. If its charter is rewritten, demand that it be set up as a one-world government with its own independent armed forces. (Some Communist leaders believe the world can be taken over as easily by the U.N. as by Moscow. Sometimes these two centers compete with each other as they are now doing in the Congo.)
12. Resist any attempt to outlaw the Communist Party.
13. Do away with all loyalty oaths.
14. Continue giving Russia access to the U.S. Patent Office.
15. Capture one or both of the political parties in the United States.
16. Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American institutions by claiming their activities violate civil rights.
17. Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for socialism and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of teachers’ associations. Put the party line in textbooks.
18. Gain control of all student newspapers.
19. Use student riots to foment public protests against programs or organizations which are under Communist attack.
20. Infiltrate the press. Get control of book-review assignments, editorial writing, policymaking positions.
21. Gain control of key positions in radio, TV, and motion pictures.
22. Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all forms of artistic expression. An American Communist cell was told to “eliminate all good sculpture from parks and buildings, substitute shapeless, awkward and meaningless forms.”
23. Control art critics and directors of art museums. “Our plan is to promote ugliness, repulsive, meaningless art.”
24. Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them “censorship” and a violation of free speech and free press.
25. Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio, and TV.
26. Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as “normal, natural, healthy.”
27. Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with “social” religion. Discredit the Bible and emphasize the need for intellectual maturity which does not need a “religious crutch.”
28. Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on the ground that it violates the principle of “separation of church and state.”
29. Discredit the American Constitution by calling it inadequate, old-fashioned, out of step with modern needs, a hindrance to cooperation between nations on a worldwide basis.
30. Discredit the American Founding Fathers. Present them as selfish aristocrats who had no concern for the “common man.”
31. Belittle all forms of American culture and discourage the teaching of American history on the ground that it was only a minor part of the “big picture.” Give more emphasis to Russian history since the Communists took over.
32. Support any socialist movement to give centralized control over any part of the culture—education, social agencies, welfare programs, mental health clinics, etc.
33. Eliminate all laws or procedures which interfere with the operation of the Communist apparatus.
34. Eliminate the House Committee on Un-American Activities.
35. Discredit and eventually dismantle the FBI.
36. Infiltrate and gain control of more unions.
37. Infiltrate and gain control of big business.
38. Transfer some of the powers of arrest from the police to social agencies. Treat all behavioral problems as psychiatric disorders which no one but psychiatrists can understand.
39. Dominate the psychiatric profession and use mental health laws as a means of gaining coercive control over those who oppose Communist goals.
40. Discredit the family as an institution. Encourage promiscuity and easy divorce.
41. Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence of parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks and retarding of children to suppressive influence of parents.
42. Create the impression that violence and insurrection are legitimate aspects of the American tradition; that students and special-interest groups should rise up and use united force to solve economic, political or social problems.
43. Overthrow all colonial governments before native populations are ready for self-government.
44. Internationalize the Panama Canal.
45. Repeal the Connally reservation so the United States cannot prevent the World Court from seizing jurisdiction over nations and individuals alike.
Please scroll down the page to locate all the news items.
President Obama's Speech to Schoolchildren
posted: September 2, 2009
We have received a number of inquiries about whether President Obama’s speech to the schoolchildren of America next week will be available “live” in Leander ISD. Due to the logistics of making a webcast available during that time of the school day, we will not be showing this address in LISD classrooms or campuses. However, as soon as the speech is available, we will place a link on the district website should you and your family choose to view the speech.
Hail, Infallible Leader. Hail, Dear Leader! Hail, Obama!
Good grief, did they have George Clinton in this video? He's the only person I can think of who would say this.
That weirdness aside, the whole thing smacks of something we've only seen in totalitarian dictatorships.
I think President Obama is going to have a very difficult time enlisting school children for his mandatory community service corps if this is any indication.
If people are outraged about something like this (and they should be), he will have an uphill battle.
What’s really sobering about that photo is that when I look at it I wonder how many of those “kids” wound up dead in the War from Hitler’s craving for power.
Re: “Communist Goals 1963”.
It seems that every time I read this, it appears to me that there are more completed items on the list. I haven’t actually counted, but it appears to me that well over half of the goals on that list have been achieved in this country.
It’s no wonder that the good and patriotic people of this country feel that they’re being pushed toward revolution.
Well, remember Nikita Kruschev (sp) saying he will take the United States down without ever firing a shot? Looks like he was right.
...AND all of these people in the video make 7-8 figures a year...they simply have NO IDEA.