Skip to comments.450 Mayors Petition Obama To Adopt Broad Gun Reform
Posted on 10/02/2009 7:54:07 PM PDT by 2ndDivisionVet
A new report from a national coalition of mayors urges President Obama to adopt dozens of reforms to help curb gun violence, including steps to crack down on problems at gun shows and the creation of a federal interstate firearms trafficking unit.
The "Blueprint for Federal Action on Illegal Guns," a copy of which was obtained by The Washington Post, presents 40 recommendations that "would dramatically improve law enforcement's ability to keep guns out of the hands of criminals -- and, in doing so, save innocent lives."
The strategies outlined by the Mayors Against Illegal Guns, a bipartisan group of about 450 mayors nationwide, focus on the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The agency, which has been sent a copy of the report, declined to comment.
ATF agents should have greater discretion to conduct criminal investigations at gun shows identified as sources of firearms later seized in crimes, the report states, noting that "criminal activity endemic to some gun shows goes unchecked."(continued)
(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonpost.com ...
are they all democrats??
450 mayors wanting this cannot be a good thing. Sorry, if they are thinking that gun shows have ‘loopholes’ that’s a red flag to me.
Just two words:
450 mayors (plus a president) needing to be removed from office.
BTW: Taking peoples' Second Amendment rights away from them IS NOT "reform". It's communism.
Here’s my recommendation to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. Lock up the criminals and don’t let them out.
Take my guns? In Detroit?! Not on my watch.
Heres my recommendation to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. Lock up the criminals and dont let them out.
The extreme left’s ongoing wet-dream of disarming the law-abiding public is not about CRIME. Or criminals. It is all about the Second Amendment and WHY it was put in the Bill of Rights to begin with.
Most large and mid-sized city mayors are Democrats, and I imagine that’s the bulk of the 450 in this article.
Need to hear from the 300K plus Mayors who dont agree.
The names of these 450 mayors need to be published in their local newspapers!
Implement the “Singapore solution” on gun crimes of violence. Felons using guns get big sentences.
Of course, the nearly law-abiding are always easier targets for minor violations like the wrong sized magazine, or a barrel that’s an inch short—that’s NOT what I’m talking about, but often what we get when the authorities implement no-tolerance.
Anybody know just how many duly elected “Mayors” there are in this country?
I think my little old cornfield state could muster up at least 450 on our own.
“are they all democrats??”
I bet the so called Republican mayor of New York might be on that list. However I would assume 95% or more are.
Colin Powell’s “urban values” in action;
450 opportunities to reclaim America.
I missed the part about the most effective remedy, letting law abiding citizens carry.
w/o looking, I’m sure Mayor Manhood of Glenn Beck show fame is on the list.
All they have to do is sneak in some federal gun control bill in another innocuous bill and pass it on through .... just like what they’re trying to do with health care ...
Everytime this is mentioned in our local paper most of the local mayors deny ever signing on to support the propoals.
Apparantly they somehow put their names on a mailing list for information but didn’t read the fine print.
At least that is the story they tell when the complaints start rolling in from voters who are supporters of the 2nd ammendment.
one cannott petition a president to violate his constitutional rights.
someone needs to give Bloomberg an enema.
I just checked Texas. We have one mayor that is a member.
As big as Texas is there is oniy 1 mayor listed. That’s amazing
Mayor Richard Ward
That averages out to 9 in each state.
Really not that many.
ooooh. Interesting website. Such as this:
Wal-Mart and the bi-partisan coalition of Mayors Against Illegal Guns have announced that Wal-Mart, the largest seller of firearms in the nation, has adopted the new Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership, a 10-point code that will help ensure that guns do not fall into the wrong hands. The Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership, created by Mayors Against Illegal Guns and Wal-Mart, is a set of policies that will be implemented over time that includes video recording of sales, rigid controls on inventory, checks that gun purchasers are not misrepresenting themselves, and the development of a first-of-its kind computerized crime gun trace log for retailers.
Read the full press release
RESPONSIBLE FIREARMS RETAILER PARTNERSHIP:
A 10-Point Voluntary Code
1. Videotaping the Point of Sale for All Firearms Transactions. Participating retailers will videotape the point-of-sale of all firearms transactions and maintain videos for 6 months to deter illegal purchases and monitor employees.
2. Computerized Crime Gun Trace Log and Alert System. Participating retailers will maintain a computerized log of crime gun traces relating to the retailer. Once the program is in place, if a customer who has a prior trace at that retailer attempts to purchase a firearm, the sale will be electronically flagged. The retailer would have discretion to proceed with the sale or stop the sale.
3. Purchaser Declaration. For sales flagged by the trace alert system, participating retailers will ask purchasers to fill out a declaration indicating that they meet the legal requirement to purchase the firearm.
4. Deterring Fake IDs. Participating retailers will only accept valid federal- or state-issued picture IDs as primary identification. Retailers will utilize additional ID checking mechanisms.
5. Consistent Visible Signage. Participating retailers will post signage created by the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership to alert customers of their legal responsibilities at the point-of-sale.
6. Employee Background Checks. Participating retailers will conduct criminal background checks for all employees selling or handling firearms.
7. Employee Responsibility Training. Participating retailers will participate in an employee responsibility training program focused on deterring illegal purchasers. The Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership will create an online training system based on Wal-Mart’s training program.
8. Inventory Checking. Participating retailers will conduct daily and quarterly audits. Guidelines will be based on Wal-Mart’s firearms audit check procedures.
9. No Sales Without Background Check Results. Participating retailers would prohibit sales based on “default proceeds,” which are permitted by law when the background check has not returned a result within 3 days.
10. Securing Firearms. Participating retailers will maintain firearms kept in customer accessible areas in locked cases or locked to racks.
Our idiot RINO mayor here in Jacksonville, FL is a member. I’ve been trading emails with the idiot.
I’ll be doing what I can to see his butt kicked out as soon as possible.
California on the other hand
Mayor Jane P. Kennedy
Mayor Cheryl Cox
Chula Vista, CA
Mayor Robert Wasserman
Mayor Ashley Swearengin
Mayor Roosevelt F. Dorn
Mayor Sukhee Kang
Mayor Larry Burrola
Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa
Los Angeles, CA
Mayor Rob Schroder
Mayor Paul Eaton
Mayor Ron Dellums
Mayor Sue Severson
Mayor Pamela Torliatt
Mayor Jennifer Hosterman
Mayor Gayle McLaughlin
Mayor Dennis Donohue
Mayor Patrick J. Morris
San Bernardino, CA
Mayor Jerry Sanders
San Diego, CA
Mayor Gavin Newsom
San Francisco, CA
Mayor Chuck Reed
San Jose, CA
Mayor Miguel Pulido
Santa Ana, CA
Mayor Marty Blum
Santa Barbara, CA
Mayor Ken Genser
Santa Monica, CA
Mayor Susan Gorin
Santa Rosa, CA
Mayor Ann Johnston
Mayor Morris Vance
Mayor Abbe Land
West Hollywood, CA
Mayor Christopher Cabaldon
West Sacramento, CA
I’m coming to see you. :0)
Thanks for the list. Only two from my state - and from two of the more lib cities...
Mayor Denny Doyle
Mayor Kitty Piercy
This is how it works, at least during collectivisation.
The “Leaders” of the Komsomol, or the party cadres all
call for action as though it was a ground swell of support.
Naturally the polit must heed the “will of the masses” and
so what ever action is proposed is made a mass movement.
The fact that the guidence of the cadres was from the hands
of the polit remains unseen, and suddenly there is a
program, a mass “struggle”, and every thing is changed.
A student of socialism has seen this happen time after time.
Watch for gun laws to be inserted into healthcare or carbon cap-and-tax at the last minute. Or maybe in a "stimulus" bill.
Most large and mid-sized city mayors are Democrats, and I imagine thats the bulk of the 450 in this article...
Put to this task by the administration for sure...to begin its list of “imperative reasons” that law-abiding citizens should not be armed. Ignoring the fact that criminals do not obey laws and can and do get guns at will — and not legally.
Heres my recommendation to keep guns out of the hands of criminals.
Don’t let politicians have guns.
I prefer “From my cold, dead hands,” but that one is good too.
That is interesting.
If we set a minimum IQ requirement we could take care of that.
My home state of California has 29 Mayors who signed onto this gun-grabbing petition, while my adopted state of Texas has just 1.
Pretty revealing, eh?
As far as I can tell all the Georgia mayors
The list of MN mayors is not the least bit shocking. All 5 need to lose their jobs!
“ATF agents should have greater discretion to conduct criminal investigations at gun shows”
I don’t think so.
Good to see no San Luis Obispo county towns on there. Take that SLO.
There is only one (1) Texas mayor on this tyrannical committee:
Texas: Mayor Richard Ward, Hurst, TX
There is a very good chance that -- once the news gets out he's stupid enough to be on this committee -- that he won't be in office much longer...
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.