I think it WAS evil to drop the bombs but don’t think the Olympics should go to Japan, or the U.S., or whatever.. Let’s put it in Greece next time and keep it there for good.
The pre planning for the invasion of Japan estimated 20,000 US casualties.
Truman's decision to drop the two atomic weapons was largely based on this information.
A necessary evil at best.
Good idea in principle, but Im not sure Greece the country would be able to afford to do it every four years.
Your statement was total ignorance. If you even studied history you would had known that.....
1. Japan would not conceed to unconditional surrender. The military cliques were running the show and preferred suicide to surrender. Only when the Emperor ordered surrender talks did the military leaders conceed. Even then, junior officers staged a failed coup to prevent the Emporer from broadcasting his nation’s surrender.
2. Most of Japans’s cities were bombed, burned and blockaded with disease & starvation rampant.
3. Japan’s government and miliatary adopted the policy of “Ketsu Go”...to use the population in human wave attacks and suicide bombings. Women where issued bamboo spears while children were issued suicide backpacks to crawl under American tanks. The whole country devised various suicide traps, kamikazi vehicles and human wave battalions.
4. Five days before Hiroshima, US bombers dropped leaflets WARNING the Japanese populace that certain cities needed to be evacuated.
5. The invasion of Japan would had involved the Russians reusulting in a communist NORTH and allied SOUTH Japans.
6. Allies, in preparation for Operation Olympic, would had stockpiled its nukes (and thousands of tons of chemical munitions) for an all-out assault on the landing beachheads and key urban centers. The result (in addition to starvation, cold, and disease) would had killed millions and millions of Japanese civillians.
7. Hiroshima and Nagaski were legitament targets as both housed important munitions plants. Hiroshima was also home of the Japanese 3rd Army Group...a key command post which coordianted Japanese defensive operations in the southern island of Kyushu.
FYI: 3rd Army Group parade grounds was the target point (ground zero) for the Hiroshima Bomb.
Eh, beats the hell out of losing a couple thousand (or tens of thousands) of American troops trying to quell an insurgency. What angers me much moreso than nuking Japan is FDR’s not-so-secret interventionism prior to Pearl Harbor which basically begged the Japanese to attack because the socialist left desperately wanted to go to war while the conservatives and most Americans wanted nothing to do with another (at the time) regionalized conflict.
Harry Truman was evil?
wow .. that’s a shocker.
I agree about moving the Olympics to Greece permanently.
>>> I think it WAS evil to drop the bombs... <<<
It was the NEOCONS Kirk. /s
EVIL!!? that sounds like more bleeding heart liberal blame America crap. I suppose those B-29 conventional bombing runs just dropped M&M’s.. or maybe cigars?? those B-29 firebombing raids didn’t kill anyone did they? were those raids EVIL also? those raids would have continued until there was nothing left of those japs. if the two big ones were not dropped the ENTIRE country would have been obliterated by continued B-29 raids. the jap people would have held out until the very end. (If they fought and died as they did defending countless south pacific Islands, how hard long and determined do you think they would have battled to save their very homeland)? those 2 bombs SAVED the lives of American pilots, American POW’s and also the American lives of those who would have been involved with the ground/sea invasion of japan. never mind that the russians very well could have over run the entire country by the time our conventional bombing ceased.