Skip to comments.Is Obama treating the office of the Presidency with the dignity it deserves?
Posted on 11/06/2009 11:50:48 AM PST by libh8er
Policy-wise, Barack Obama arguably came into his presidency unqualified. His foreign policy naiveté and spread-the-wealth-around fiscal policy mentality has thus far been a disaster. Unemployment continues to rise, North Korea and Iran continue to be pests, Hugo Chavez is emboldened, eco-radicals are taking over the legislative agenda, and Nancy Pelosi is dictating how health care will work in America.
A number of friends in the military have told me that as Commander-in-Chief they must respect the office but they do not respect the person. So is Obama giving the office the respect it deserves by at least conducting himself like a President? The answer, unfortunately, is an emphatic no. Here are the top ten examples to prove this point:
10. Obama nixes the Bush dress code of always wearing a jacket in the Oval Office. This might seem trivial but that office has witnessed some of the greatest Americans making the most difficult and important decisions effecting the entire world. As Andy Card, former White House Chief of Staff put it, "The Oval Office symbolizes the Constitution, the hopes and dreams, and Im going to say democracy. And when you have a dress code in the Supreme Court and a dress code on the floor of the Senate, floor of the House, I think its appropriate to have an expectation that there will be a dress code that respects the office of the President." Some of his more classless staff even showed up in jeans at the beginning of his administration. Obama was so inspired he instituted "casual weekends."
9. The Obama beer summit. In attempts to cover up his "they acted stupidly" attack on the Cambridge, Massachusetts police department, Obama attempts to solve it by kicking back a few in the Rose Garden. This could only have been more embarrassing if he neglected to at least give a shout out to an American beer company oh wait.
8. Obama has never stopped campaigning. I suppose when you're good at something you should keep at it. His townhall meetings look more like he's trying to get votes than solve real problems. He has also done more fundraisers (23) than President Bush (6) and President Clinton (5) did combined in their first years in office.
7. President Obama picks Joe Biden as his VEEP choice. Ok that was just a joke, picking someone to be your VEEP isnt beneath the dignity of office, but I mean really, Joe "you cannot go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent" Biden? This is the same man that continues to champion a stimulus plan that hasn't created one job!
6. The war with Fox News. In attempts to bring Chicago politics to the White House, Obama tries to shut out the most popular news channel in America because they dare to hold the President accountable and refuse blind allegiance like the lapdog network of MSNBC.
5. Obama reignites the war with Britain again. In the first visit by the leader of our most reliable ally, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown presents the American President with a pen holder created from the timbers of the HMS President, the sister ship of the HMS Resolute, which the desk in the Oval Office is made from. The American President presents PM Gordon Brown with 25 DVDs that are not correctly formatted to play in Europe.
4. Maybe we should give the President a mulligan on that last one. After all he had a chance to redeem himself when he went to England to meet the Queen. This time he presented her with drum roll please an IPod! And what was on said IPod? None other than a couple of speeches made by the O-man himself.
3. Obama becomes a pitchman in a commercial for George Lopez, "George. You need to change late-night. That's the kind of change I can believe in."
2. Obama hits the late night circuit. In March he became the first sitting President to go on a late night comedy show when he went on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. This was bad enough before he decided to poke fun at the Special Olympics.
1. Reality TV comes to the White House. No, seriously. Glamour girl Michelle Obama is hosting an episode of Iron Chef that will air on January 3rd.
1a. Instead of giving an eloquent and heartfelt statement following the tragedy that occurred yesterday at Fort Hood, the President came across as aloof and disconnected. As NBC put it, "instead of a somber chief executive?offering reassuring words?and expressions of sympathy and compassion, viewers saw a wildly disconnected and inappropriately light president making introductory remarks." He even "offered a shout-out to Dr. Joe Medicine Crow that Congressional Medal of Honor winner."
Americans, you voted for change and you got it. But of course, change doesnt always result in a good change. If President Obama can't treat his job and the White House with the respect it deserves then how can he possibly respect the American people who look to him for leadership? If this list was compiled after 10 short months in office, what can we expect in the next 3 years?
Is Obama treating the office of the Presidency with the dignity it deserves?
Is this a trick question?
Sure, I mean, didn’t president Bush give some shout outs before talking to the nation about serious issues?
Barry and his wife are attention seekers (to put it nicely).
He gave “shout outs” (his term, not mine) to some people on mic BEFORE he went into the subject of the Ft. Hood shooting. He prattled on for 90+ seconds before he talked about the domestic terrorist act.
Is Obama treating the office of the Presidency with the dignity it deserves?
Hardly....The day he returned the bust of Sir Winston Churchill said it all.....
FDR did, 23 Skidoo! He even had a word from his sponsors "Drink Your Ovaltine!" before ever fireside chat. < /sarc >
Could a negative response to this question be rhetorical?
He was hoping for a bust of Ward Churchill.
Not so bad for a Kenyan. Our culture and traditions are so foreign to him, you know.
I firmly believe that it will eventually be shown, probably after he has vacated the office, that Baraq Hussein mohmmed 0bama does/did not qualify to be President and was, in fact a usurper. This will no doubt merely be a footnote in history.
Too bad the authorities that could take steps to stop this clown do not have the courage to uphold their oaths to "Defend The Constitution".
Of course not, but he is treating it with all the dignity he has.
Obama has bad mouthed the USA abroad. What else does this pinko need to do? He is a disgrace to the USA.
I’m sorry, I can’t go along with this premise. The President is a citizen, not some god.
Besides by re-electing the cad, liar and scumbag Clinton, the voters disrespected the office beyond all other measure. And by electing the unknown Obama on fantasy — the voters disrespected all weight of special authority for the office.
If you want to spontaneously burst into tears, look at footage of the boy president standing in front of the Washington portrait. A wordless indictment.
Obamao could care less.
health care is a serious issue, unemployment is a serious issue. The slaughter of 12 people and the wounding of another 30 or more rises above that in terms of seriousness, don't you think?
FUBO drags the office of POTUS it to the bottom of the diseased cess pool which passes for his soul
No he’s not but it’s because he doesn’t understand a lot of things. He’s doesn’t have a bad heart.
How could any one who sat for 20 years in the ‘God damn America’ church know what respect for America is, much less display respect for the Presidency?
Heck... they act more like reality tv personalities than the President and First Lady. Obambi even put his kid out there for ridicule regarding her science test.
His full and complete support of abortion, and especially his opposition to the Born Alive Infant Protection Act shows he does have a bad heart. He is a sociopath and a megalomaniacal Narcissist.
No. The Wed night parties at the White House remind me of stories you hear about people winning the lottery - they go crazy spending money and end up broke after a very short time.
That one will leave a mark. Yes, they did, or at least those who voted for 0bama did. Those for whom he showed an appalling disregard in yesterday's news conference probably didn't vote for him, which may explain in part why he acted as he did.
He hasn't grown in office as some of us optimists hoped he might. He isn't everybody's President, he's only the President of his team, and everyone not on that team is regarded as neither legitimate nor worthy of respect. He is what the pessimists feared he would be: a two-bit Chicago ward heeler more concerned with permanently crushing the opposition than leading them.
It's dawning on a few, but only a few, of the MSM commentators just how grossly offensive 0bama's behavior was yesterday. It isn't the sort of thing likely to be patched up by a solemn expression and a few alligator tears, although we're about to see both in abundance. What we saw was the mask torn and nothing of substance, honor, or compassion underneath.
This is just something he INHERITED from his parents / guardians. (S/>
Obama is a sick practical joke that the country played on itself last November, and he has turned the White House into a carnival sideshow complete with self-made sideshow freaks. Examples include Jeremiah Wright, Al Sharpton, Michael Pfleger, and Van Jones (9/11 denial).
I’ll have to check with my quality czar, haa!
Narcissists are focused on themselves and are unable to empathize with the sufferings of others.
It reminds me of the typical $100 question on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" - a question so easy and obvious that it's hard not to laugh.
What’s this about one of the kid’s science tests? Are you saying Ozero threw one of the girls under the bus???
As for this one, there is hidden meaning behind it. #1 being a show of defiance. 'I don't give a rat's rear end what the country thinks of me. I am the boss now, I have come with a mandate(in my mind) and it's going to be my way from here on. #2)- I will bet this picture was taken not too long after he took office. Placing his foot on the table or against the desk where Bush worked for the last 8 years, is a very obvious gesture. Recall that he also had a picture published with both his legs on the White House desk and the soles of his shoes close to the camera while he was on the phone with the Israeli Prime Minister. These are not accidents. They are carefully choreographed by the WH media office and they are meant to signal a message.
It took our Great Commander & Chief 2 minutes into a speech and a shout out before he even bothered to mention the murder of 13 soldiers at Ft.Hood. Exactly how much respect should he garner for this obvious disregard for the lives of our troops ? Respect is not given, it is earned. This man is nothing less than a disgrace and has earned nothing .
He has — 0 — respect for our country: Why should he respect the White House?
Sure... about as respect as he had for the bust of Winston Churchill.
Yes, Obambi threw Malia under the bus by exposing her science test grade to the media. The child got a 73 on her science test. In my opinion, a total betrayal of the child.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.