Skip to comments.Chicago bar visit leaves Steelers fan blind
Posted on 12/10/2009 11:17:04 AM PST by kingattax
CHICAGO Almost three months have passed, and the Chicago Police Department appears no closer to solving one of the most bizarre acts of fan-on-fan violence in recent memory. One that left Pittsburgh Steelers fan Zack Heddinger blind, and local authorities searching for a group of Chicago Bears fans that allegedly poisoned him.
The frustrating search for clues began a few days after Heddinger passed out at South Loop bar Kitty OSheas, and was taken to Rush University Medical Center following Chicagos Sept. 20 win over Pittsburgh at Soldier Field.
After drinking alcohol that was allegedly offered by a Bears fan, Heddinger blacked out and later went into cardiac arrest while being rushed by ambulance to an emergency room. Heddinger eventually went blind, and doctors began to suspect he had been poisoned with some form of toxic grain alcohol.
Almost three months later, Chicago Police are still attempting to sort out exactly what happened on the day Heddingers nightmare began.
Its a horrifying, horrifying ordeal, said Pittsburgh attorney Victor Hunter Pribanic, who has been retained by Heddinger. Reached by Yahoo! Sports, a member of Heddingers family said they had been overwhelmed by the incident, and preferred to speak through Pribanic.
(Excerpt) Read more at sports.yahoo.com ...
Good point. Agreed...
“Do a lot of us carry around methyl alcohol or even rubbing alcohol around with them when they go to football games and then the bars afterwards?”
Doubtful. This has to mean that they used something in the bar itself. I don’t think the scum that did this would have staggered out to their car to get antifreeze. They had to have known the bartender and got what they needed to spike the drink at the bar. My opinion anyway.
I also don’t get violence like this over stupid football games. Hell, the NFL is becoming more like professional wrestling anyway. There was an incident here near Pittsburgh a few years back where some old man was shot for merely complaining about the Steelers.
I’m probably the only person in this area that can care less about the Steelers. I think Ben “Constantly Concussed when things go wrong” Rotethlisberger is a whining, half-pansy with a steroid problem and Heinz Ward cries more than straight man should. I still think Super Bowl XL was completely fixed. They completely lucked out last year seeing that the really good teams choked and were knocked out early. The fraud is exposed this year :-) If anyone wants to kill/blind me over making those statements, well, they’ll learn about some licenses I have. Go Browns, and Go Bengals :-). Maybe if the Steelers get real players again someday I won’t be as angry.
Now if you say anything about the Pirates I’ll get upset :-P .
‘If it burns blue its ok to do.
Burns yellow, kill a fellow.
Don't ask me how I know this I just do.
Well, this year Bears fans are getting their comeuppance.
No, these a$$holes planned this abomination. If caught, they should receive the same fate..................
With the way the Steelers have been playing recently, he won’t miss much.
All alcohols are toxic to a degree, grain alcohol (ethyl alcohol) is relatively safe although something like a liter consumed in a couple of hours (BAL > 0.40) will kill most people who do not get treatment in time. The article goes on to talk about "antifreeze" (ethylene glycol w/ additives) which is much more toxic in that much smaller doses will prove fatal. It should be pointed that ethylene glycol is not grain alcohol, nor is methyl alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, or any of the glycol's.
The article also mentions going blind from drinking "moon shine". Such things can happen but not as a result of drinking ethyl alcohol. Rather contaminants are sometimes introduced into the alcohol by the illicit distiller because he unknowingly picked the wrong material with which to build his still. A condenser made from old car or truck radiators will have lead based solder used in it's construction and galvanized pipe is coated with zinc. The vaporized ethyl alcohol is an excellent solvent and will pick up either lead or zinc if it comes in contact with either of these metals. Lead causes long term brain damage and metallic zinc in solution can cause permanent blindness in short order (one sip will do it).
That begs the question as to how the Bears fan got a drink that was not poured at the bar?
How much in total did our hypothetical bar owner save, $.50?
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.