Skip to comments.The Usual Straw Men. Obama’s half-hearted pivoting was quite transparent [Victor Davis Hanson]
Posted on 01/28/2010 7:48:31 AM PST by Tolik
Cap and trade, statist health care, and an end to dont ask, dont tell for thee.
And for thou, Obama the tax cutter, Obama the gas-and-oil driller, Obama the budget freezer, Obama the anti-lobbyist reformer, Obama the bipartisan healer?
This half-hearted pivoting was quite transparent: Obama made these about-faces without acknowledging that the Obama of 2010 is now and then rejecting the Obama of 2009, much less that the partisanship and bickering of the past year stemmed largely from the hubris of having both houses of Congress and an obsequious press. Instead, Obama seemed miffed that after Scott Browns victory he had to offer half-hearted sops.
After Obama spent 2009 ignoring jobs in order to focus on health care, he tells us that 2010 will be the year of jobs. So after a year of promiscuously talking about higher income, payroll, health-care, and inheritance taxes on them, Obama suddenly believes that small business is the engine of growth, and will therefore get new tax cuts and credits.
Likewise, after ignoring or negating his campaign promises about coal, gas, and nuclear power in his first year, suddenly Obama announces that were going to develop them!
Same with federal spending freezes. Same with ethics reform the first general-election presidential candidate to refuse public campaign financing now deplores the weakening of McCain-Feingold.
We also heard many of Obamas familiar rhetorical devices:
1) He trotted out the usual straw men: I was told by some, Washington has been telling us, etc. And once these awful straw men are set up, our hero Obama answers defiantly, I dont settle for second place! The straw-man ploy is now stale.
2) The I didnt ask for trope: Obama acts as if he bravely endures persecution on our behalf, rejects the easy path, and presses ahead on the difficult path.
3) The they did it trope: So when Obama talks of lobbying and horse trading on health care, apparently some right-wing nut in the Senate started buying votes at $300 million a clip? The Washington insider who has the White House and Congress blames . . . Washington!
4) The Bush did it trope: So Obamas deficits are the result of Bushs spending and weak economy but is a relatively quiet Iraq due to Bushs successful surge? No. Obama himself will bring the war in Iraq to a close. He did not offer one word of praise for Bush in a speech calling for unity.
5) The meaningless token: So after piling up the two largest budget deficits in U.S. history, Obama promises fiscal sobriety and spending freezes but only in 2011, after we pile up yet another year of trillion-dollar-plus red ink.
6) The above-it-all lecturing: After blaming Bush for 30 minutes and castigating the Republicans for just saying no to everything, Obama lectures on Washingtons partisan bickering. And after a year of hardball Chicago politicking, a politically weakened Obama calls for bipartisanship and a new tone. That will go over really well.
7) The meaningless deadlines and promises: No speechwriter should invoke Iran and a deadline to comply on nonproliferation; no one believes Obama after the past four failed deadlines, and he should give it all a break.
8) The final hope-and-change flourishes: The emotional end of the speech, which used to set crowds afire in 2008, seemed more rote.
All in all, this was a nonchalant performance that ran for well over an hour. The presidents above-it-all cynicism, mocking, and dry humor didnt work. The whole thing reminded me of a flat grad-school seminar with a snickering prof talking down to clueless students.
Just a partial list: http://www.freerepublic.com/tag/victordavishanson/index:
Just a partial list. Much more at the link: http://www.freerepublic.com/tag/victordavishanson/index
As Predictable as Clockwork the Obama three-step [Victor Davis Hanson continues to ridicule Zero] Obama versus Obama (More classic VDH slapdown of the ONE) Obama in Free Fall Obama And Campaign Financing (Victor Davis Hanson On Obama's Hypocrisy Alert) Post-election Thoughts (Liberals do not understand populist outrage. Bloodletting will Continue) Our Philosopher-King Obama. He doesnt mind pushing noble legislation that most people oppose Why The Great And Growing Backlash? What Scott Browns election portends for the Obama agenda "Let me be perfectly NOT clear" & "Make lots of MISTAKES about it" [Victor Davis Hanson on Obama's lies] Our Sorta, Kinda War on Terror - President Obama has not signed up for a serious effort against radical Islam Truths We Dare Not Speak. Five propositions that simply have become taboo When Conservative Felonies Become Liberal Misdemeanors 2010: Our Year of Decision Beating the Dead Terrorist Horse. September 11 taught us many lessons. To our peril, we have forgotten them Bush Did It! And, Really, Bush Did It! And Bush Really Did It! A Humpty-Dumpty View of the World 2009 Chickens and Their 2010 Roost Where Did These Guys Come From? The Origins of Obamism The War Against the Wannabe Rich. Why attack the productive classes who want to be rich? The Long March From California to Copenhagen [Hanson on debate between capitalism and socialism] The Palin Wonder Why Are We Tiring of Obama? Change, Weakness, Disaster, Obama: Answers from Victor Davis Hanson If Iran Refuses To Cooperate, Block Its Ports Resetting the Reset Button [Victor Davis Hanson dissects 0's pathetic diplomacy] Riding the Back of the Tiger [Victor Davis Hanson on Obama not understanding What Causes Wars...] What Bush Inherited, and What He Left Left Behind Who Are They? To Obama, they are responsible for all our troubles. Problem is, they are most of us Afghan Mythologies. We have everything we need to defeat the Taliban. The Discreet Charm of the Left-wing Plutocracy Truman and the Principles of U.S. Foreign Policy. Jimmy Carter rejected the postwar consensus. President Obama appears to be following a similar path Dr. Barack and Mr. Obama - The backlash is sharp as voters learn that Obama is not the man they thought he was Obama and "Redistributive Change". His real agenda The War Against the Producers President Palins First 100 Days. Imagine if Sarah Palin had Obamas record Thoughts About Depressed Americans Our Battered American [gets angrier - Must Read Rant]
Let me know if you want in or out.
FR Index of his articles: http://www.freerepublic.com/tag/victordavishanson/index NRO archive: http://author.nationalreview.com/?q=MjI1MQ== Pajamasmedia: http://pajamasmedia.com/victordavishanson/ His website: http://victorhanson.com/
The dems ate it up though, I thought Nanzi
was going to orgasm a couple of times.
There was a puddle around her feet and it
Hey, its near lunch time around here!
Don’t be shocked to see the usual RINO sell-outs do just that in the next few weeks. McCain is already making those “bipartisan” noises, even in an election year which offers a real challenge in Arizona, where voters are quite tired of his relentless betrayal in pursuit of NY Times puff piece glory. Naturally Grahamnesty will follow McCain—CLOSELY—given his perpetual lip lock on Juans’ butt. And no one can tell what the ditz sisters, Snowe and Collins, might do. Vuonovich has already bailed from another term, so he is quite capable of ANY sort of thuggery...just to keep his hand in, of course.
Lubricious. Absolutely lubricious.
An audio of Inhofe comments on the speech:
Link is to FR thread I started....The Gateway Pundit links to the same Youtube video but has this headline:
Senator Inhofe Says Obama Is Best Liar Hes Ever Seen
But I did not hear Inhofe utter the word Liar
Except that in this case it is a clueless prof presuming to talk down to a classroom in which about 30% have boned up on the counter arguments and are not buying what the prof is saying.