Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Dan Walters: California's judges play an ever bigger policy role
Sacramento Bee ^ | 3/19/10 | Dan Walters

Posted on 03/19/2010 7:59:44 AM PDT by SmithL

As noted in this space countless times, California's government is broken, endemically incapable of addressing the state's most pressing policy issues.

As the crisis has deepened, another factor has made itself increasingly evident – intervention by state and federal courts in what used to be political policy decision-making.

The chronically unbalanced state budget is the most obvious example of the system's dysfunction.

Any major financial decision discomfits someone. Those who feel aggrieved often go to court, seeking either to overturn or at least delay its implementation.

One federal judge seized control of the prison health care system, saying the state was spending an inadequate amount of money. Other judges are threatening a broader intervention if the state doesn't relieve prison overcrowding.

When Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger ordered state workers to take three days off without pay each month to save money, their unions sued. The governor has won some furlough suits and lost others. He hopes the state Supreme Court will help him.

A federal appellate court upheld a lower court's ruling that when Schwarzenegger and the Legislature reduced spending on in-home care for the elderly and disabled, they violated federal procedures. It also blocked cuts in Medi-Cal provider rates.

That ruling came one day after a state appellate court ruled that Schwarzenegger had the legal right to unilaterally reduce appropriations in last year's revised state budget, handing a defeat to Democratic legislators.

(Excerpt) Read more at sacbee.com ...


TOPICS: Editorial; Government; Politics/Elections; US: California
KEYWORDS: activistjudges; blackrobedtyrants; goldenstate; yourtaxdollarsatwork

1 posted on 03/19/2010 7:59:44 AM PDT by SmithL
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: SmithL

Another FReeper some time ago said that “99 percent of judges give the remaining 1 percent a bad name.” I agree.


2 posted on 03/19/2010 8:06:10 AM PDT by VR-21 (Bring me my broadsword, and clear understanding. Bring me my cross of gold as a talisman.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: SmithL
California has been a little radical communist empire for a long time and the Courts are so corrupt they have preempted the will of the people. Time after time ballot measures were approved by the voters only to be reversed by this liberal court. The Court has been equal policy makers to the Legislature. Strange we put up with this corruption, but that is the far left stupid voters here. So goes California so goes Washington. Communism is a pain but looks like we will have to live with it. Look at the 9th circuit court of appeals. What a joke.
3 posted on 03/19/2010 8:08:24 AM PDT by Logical me (Oh, well!!!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: VR-21

.
A judge is just a lawyer with too much power.


4 posted on 03/19/2010 8:20:10 AM PDT by Touch Not the Cat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: SmithL
Judicial decisions and diktats from unelected, unaccountable bureaucrats have done more damage to these United States than even government employee unions.

We were once a republic. We are now ruled by the few, the Scotus, Stretch Pelosi, Reid and Hussein, an oligarchy headed for tyranny.

5 posted on 03/19/2010 1:56:46 PM PDT by Jacquerie (It is only in the context of Natural Law that our Declaration & Constitution form a coherent whole)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson