Three Kenyan men charged with Uganda bomb attacks
BBC ^ | 30 July 2010 | BBC
Posted on August 1, 2010 5:46:44 AM PDT by csvset
Three Kenyans have been charged with the murders of 76 people killed when bombs exploded as they watched the World Cup on TV in Kampala, Uganda.
Hussein Hassan Agad, 27, Mohamed Adan Abdow, 25, and Idris Magondu, 42, were also charged with terrorism and 10 counts of attempted murder.
They have yet to enter pleas and will remain in custody until their next court appearance on 27 August.
Al-Shabab, a Somali Islamist group, said it carried out the attacks.
Ugandan peacekeepers are in Somalia, helping the weak, UN-backed government against al-Shabab, which has links to al-Qaeda.
The African Union this week pledged to boost its peacekeeping force in Somalia by 4,000 troops, after a summit meeting in Kampala, which was overshadowed by the attack.
Only Uganda and Burundi have so far sent troops to the Somali capital, Mogadishu and al-Shabab had threatened to attack both countries.
The explosions on 11 July, which also injured about 70 people, ripped through a rugby club and an Ethiopian restaurant as football fans watched the last few minutes of the World Cup final.
An injured woman in hospital after Kampala bombing The blasts went off as people were watching the World Cup final, killing 76 and injuring 70.
The three men, all residents of Kenya, appeared on Friday in a Kampala magistrates court.
The charge sheet identified Hussein Hassan Agad as “a preacher of Islam”, while Idris Magondu was identified as an employee of a trading company in Nairobi, Kenya.
The men were charged with 89 offences. They face 61 counts of murder for those killed at the Kyadondo Rugby Club and 15 counts for those killed at the restaurant.
(Excerpt) Read more at bbc.co.uk ...
“Al Qaeda advises Shabaab to keep low profile on links, attack US interests”
By BILL ROGGIO
August 15, 2010
SNIPPET: “Al Qaeda’s senior leadership has advised Shabaab, its affiliate in Somalia, to downplay links between the two terror groups and suggested that future attacks be directed at US interests in East Africa.”
SNIPPET: “Shabaab’s double suicide attack in Uganda on July 11 was well received by al Qaeda’s top leadership, who want Shabaab to continue to hitting US interests in Africa.
“Al Qaeda is pleased with the double suicide attack in Uganda, but suggested Shabaab reserve future strikes at US interests in the region,” the official said.
The July 11 double suicide attack in Kampala, the capital of Uganda, killed 74 civilians as they watched the World Cup’s final soccer match. The mastermind of the Kampala attacks, Isah Ahmed Luyima, said he executed the bombings with the intent of maximizing US deaths.
“I targeted places where many Americans go,” Luyima said in a press conference hosted by Ugandan police on Aug. 12. “I was made to believe that Americans were responsible for the suffering of Muslims all over the world.”
The Shabaab cell that carried out the Uganda attack called itself the Saleh Ali Nabhan Brigade. Saleh Ali Slaeh Nabhan was a top al Qaeda and Shabaab leader who has been indicted by the US for his involvement in the 1998 bombings at the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. Nabhan was indicted with several top al Qaeda leaders, including Osama bin Laden and Ayman al Zawahiri. Nabhan served as Shabaab’s top military commander before US special operations forces killed him in a raid in southern Somalia in September 2009.”